OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
Just a few days ago, I heard it for the first time on my GT 200. When getting going from a red light or complete stop, there is this weird noise coming from the back...once the gears kick in completely, it goes away..Yesterday when riding two up, I heard it again...every time when we stopped at a red light and went on again, there was this ugly noise...could it be the belt that's suddenly loose? I had it just replaced with 4000 miles...am approaching the 7500 mile service...but would be odd to have to replace the belt every 3500 miles...or is this normal?
thanks!
berndt
@lisaesca avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex

Hooked
@lisaesca avatar
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
UTC quote
Fan still on when bike is off?
I don't know about your noise but I have a noise and thought I'd add it to the thread to see if it's normal.

I turned off my GT on Saturday during our group ride and I felt some vibration, like it was still on. It was the air fan, we think. One of the guys in our group is a scooter dealer, though not Vespas, and that's what he thought. A few seconds later, whatever it was turned off. I guess it's like a Honda car we once had, that after you turn it off, the fan stays on and turns itself off a few minutes later to cool down. Anyone else notice this?

(Group ride photo link in Scooter Gallery, post titled "Dallas Police Chief Rides a GT!)

Lisa
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
*whimpers* Read these threads - let us know if this is what you're experiencing...

Feels like a slipping belt!!!

The Grind Begins...

There *is* a solution...
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Hey OZ did the last fix work? I know you had some new stuff done, just wondering if it is working, Beale.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Re: Fan still on when bike is off?
LisaEsca wrote:
It was the air fan, we think. One of the guys in our group is a scooter dealer, though not Vespas, and that's what he thought. A few seconds later, whatever it was turned off. I guess it's like a Honda car we once had, that after you turn it off, the fan stays on and turns itself off a few minutes later to cool down. Anyone else notice this?
I think you're probably dead-on correct, it sounds like the cooling fan. It's temperature-activated, only on when necessary, and the scooter has to be pretty hot, too. You should be able to put your ear near the left air gill (same side as your horn button) and hear it whir when it's on.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
Hey OZ did the last fix work? I know you had some new stuff done, just wondering if it is working, Beale.
So far! The entire mechanism was replaced - drum casing, clutch wheel, rollers, belt, blah blah blah. Fixed it by replacing the whole darned thing.

It's been good for about 700 miles since the last repair, which is far more than the previous issues. Darned good too because my warranty expired.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Re: weird noise when going from stand-still
Berndts wrote:
Just a few days ago, I heard it for the first time on my GT 200. When getting going from a red light or complete stop, there is this weird noise coming from the back
Can you describe the noise? Sounds to me (without hearing it, no pun intended) a lot like the clutch slip problem a few of us have had.
@ataritron avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@ataritron avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Clutch noise and slipping
I want to tell everyone about my clutch noise. My GT is an 05 and I didn't get any slippage or noise until nearly 7000 miles, so I cleaned out the clutch shoe dust, replaced the belt and eveything went back to normal.

Now I am at 11,600 miles. I occasionally get a shutter noise from the clutch perticularly when the engine and trans are cold. It seems to go away when everything warms up, and it happens intermitently, very strange. At 12,000 miles I am going to pull the housing again and replace the rollers and take a look at the clutch shoes. The slight shudder is not really a big deal and doesn't effect the performance much.

Has anybody tried the new Malossi / Polini- Delta / Speed clutch and bell housing. I have a new SIP catalog and they ar in there. I suspect this will solve all these clutch problems and improve performance.

They also sell an upgrade variator which boasts up to 30% better acceleration, too bad it cost so much to ship from Germany to the US.
@zippygt avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200 '04

Hooked
@zippygt avatar
Vespa GT 200 '04
UTC quote
Slipping Clutch
My '04 GT has a clutch that slips.

Symptoms: After 30mins of riding across London (I travel frequently from Greenwich to Hampstead) the transmission starts to make a sound not very dissimilar to a "waaaaaaah" noise if I pull off with moderate revs.

When I visit my parents in the countryside it is not a problem, presumably as less is asked of the clutch as the roads involve far less stop start riding.

This occurs after around 15 mins if I have a passenger on. A service guy at a dealer said it was down to dust from the clutch contaminating the friction material on the mating surfaces.

Presently it has not been so bad as to lose 'drive' altogether, until then I think I'm just going to put up with it. I can almost eliminate it by pulling off faster, but this is not preferable as I value the low fuel consumption.

Would setting up an email address to be ultimately forwarded to Piaggio for GT owners experiencing the problem be of any use?

Dave
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
we were having a barb-q in our backyard, about 95 degrees and humid.
(poor planning on mother nature's part). A buddy, who had been drinking, walked by the Dragster 180 and Samantha's GT, both use the same thermoswitch for the coolant fan, and as he walked by the dragster, the whirr of the fan came on, startling the drunk friend. Looking at the Dragster as he passed the GT, WHIRR the gt's fan came on, scaring the hell out of him. He now claims our bikes are out to get him.

-larry
@giuliano avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"

Addicted
@giuliano avatar
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"
UTC quote
From new my GT125 has made a vibrating noise from the rear as if the top box was rying to shake loose at about 10MPH. At lower and higher speeds it goes. It is much more noticeable when cold. The only time it is a problem is when filtering very slow moving London traffic when you are constantly changing speed betwen 5MPH and 15MPH and always seem to be moving through this vibration band. Other than that all accelelration is very smooth and vibration free.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
finally found out what the noice was :-)
had my GT 200 in for service yesterday and the guys told me that the noise I had heard at times was some rear metal part (don't remember the name), where I had lost two screws...so it vibrated against the tire or something....oh well...glad it wasn't the clutch.

Apart from that all was fine - 7000 mi on the bike...and lots more to go

Cheers,

berndt - Seattle
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0315s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0042s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]