OP
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
What do you all think of this book?, having just finished it, it explained alot about scooter culture, as a modern vespa person I initally thought it just was going to be about vintage, but their was alot of subject matter written about twist and goes, maxi-scoots, chinese scoots ect. I am just interested in seeing how everyone thought about the books accuracy. To me , its a great teaching tool to the non scooterist. I have recommended it to alot of the Harley/Weekend warriors that dont understand why I dont primarily ride a hog.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
I received The Scooter Book as a Christmas present. Would you want to trade books, so I can read yours (and you can read mine)? Shipping for US Postal Media Mail is about $3.
@helmuthead avatar
UTC

My Stella, her et-2

@helmuthead avatar
My Stella, her et-2
UTC quote
The Red Eyes, White Smoke ..... book is an entertaining, authoritative read written by a scooter scene insider with a true understanding of the "culture." The photos are of real American scooterists riding their scooters.

The Scooter Book comes off like a hastily thrown together book. The research seems superficial. The photos (Malagutti is way over-represented) were probably straight from company promotional materials.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Are we referencing the same book HelmutHead? Go back and click on the link I previously provided. It will take you to Amazon.com. The Scooter Book is a high quality coffee table book. It's hard covered, has beautiful pictures, and informative text, all printed on quality glossy paper. It's not a book on scooter culture. The contents, as per the author, are
which scooter?
training
clothing
insurance
security
safety
maintenance
trouble-shooting
modifying
accessories
mots.
I just skimmed the book again, and don't find any pages that read like company promotional material. On the contrary, the author seems to interject his own opinions on every scooter, accessory, and subject. Can you point me to just one page that's written as you claim?

Either book can be purchased discounted for about $15 US. It's not going to break the budget. I like the idea of community sharing. At $3 shipping, one can swap/share 5 books for the price of purchasing one.
OP
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
dear helmuthead
sorry i didnt get back to you on the book loan. the book i have is actually a shop book now so i dont have authority to send it to you. I do have the book that you speak of as well. I obtained my copy of red eyes,white walls blue smoke at my local borders bookstore. but at full price.
maybe at the library soon?. thanks for the offer though.
@helmuthead avatar
UTC

My Stella, her et-2

@helmuthead avatar
My Stella, her et-2
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
Are we referencing the same book HelmutHead?
D'oh! No, we're not, sorry. I meant to slag this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592580769/ref=pd_sim_b_1/002-1562020-8130411?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Sorry. I clicked on your link from my work PC and it was blocked by a firewall. Checking it at home, I now see that there are two books with the same name. Perhaps this ads to my argument that this particular book is not well researched!
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
Here's a new one. The Scooter Bible. Ordered it but haven't got it yet.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/scooter.html
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I'm a big fan of Red Eyes, White Walls, and Blue Smoke. It's well written, and is a good overview of scooters and the significance they have had. The history is one of the best parts of the book. I had kind of known that Vespa didn't invent the scooter before reading it, but I wasn't aware of how much history there had been prior to that. I also wasn't aware that Innocenti had the Lambretta designed and prototyped before Piaggio had their Vespa figure out. The Vespa just got to market first.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
LOL. I knew there had to be a book mix-up HelmutHead. Red Eyes, White Walls, and Blue Smoke sounds like a must-read.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
there is a bunch (subjective term) of stuff that is incorrect in the Scooters: red eyes, white walls and blue smoke book...

It is very Denver and west of denver-centric. It just seems a lot of research went into the west-coast and western clubs, with not a lot of thought going into the east coast clubs.

my 2 cents.

-larry
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: ...
demonlarry wrote:
there is a bunch (subjective term) of stuff that is incorrect in the Scooters: red eyes, white walls and blue smoke book...

It is very Denver and west of denver-centric. It just seems a lot of research went into the west-coast and western clubs, with not a lot of thought going into the east coast clubs.

-larry
...and then there's my fond memory of the heart-warming (and well-deserved, no doubt) farewell that Colin personally wished me as I exited a certain BBS. I really enjoyed dropping my copy of "Scooters: REWW&BS" into an industrial-strength cross-cut shredder.
⚠️ Last edited by jrsjr on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Did Colin post in that thread? I'm surprised, actually...
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Ah. Found it. Yeah, I hadn't noticed that particular comment came from him. Particularly vicious and misguided, too. I hadn't expected him to be so, ummm... what's the word I'm looking for?

Guess I'll shred my copy too.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Ah. Found it. Yeah, I hadn't noticed that particular comment came from him. Particularly vicious and misguided, too. I hadn't expected him to be so, ummm... what's the word I'm looking for?

Guess I'll shred my copy too.
LOL. Seriously, I put mine in with a bunch of plain paper documents and it was really kind of cool when the blades caught Colin's book, there was sort of a burst of color from the shredder. And, yeah, I'm a hothead, but even I was surprised at the complete lack of any electrographic activity from that entire bunch of folks.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the word you're looking for is Eletro Cerebral Silence, known to laymen as "braindead." The medically trained will know that the real humor in my post is that a braindead patient can still exhibit reflexes, like making that post on the BBS.
⚠️ Last edited by jrsjr on UTC; edited 1 time
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
What did I miss??? Lemme know, Links Please
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I'll try to keep this positive, promise.

It wouldn't surprise me if the book features Colin' pals. He's got many friends in scootering and any book is self indulgent, I suppose.

Many scooterists have had the same treatment in person as you've seen in Scooter BBS postings. But there are happy customers, too. Let's just say you have to kiss some behind and shouldn't disagree with them when they try to "educate" you about scootering.

We tried to buy 50cc scoots from Colin's store when first getting into the scene. We aren't young skater dudes, so (being un-cool) we were ignored and slow-serviced to the point that we gave up and bought Yamaha products. Not that Yamaha stores were any better.

I did have a great experience with the mechanics at Colin's store. They kitted one of bikes and did a helluva job, from the first question to taking delivery of the modified bike.

But I'll never forget inquiring on an Aprilia Mojito 150 when I decided to get a bigger scoot. After he totally trash-talked Vespa, he quoted $600 over MSRP. He said "we don't charge fees" as if the $600 bump was better than the Aprilia dealer's price of MSRP plus $220 fees. I offered MSRP plus $300, and he laughed and explained that he could sell every Mojito 150 he could get for $600 over MSRP. Take it or leave it. Don't want my money for the second time? Fine. I left. Went to Vespa and they showed me their products and had nothing but good things to say about Colin & crew, their competition. Hmmm.

I read an interview with Colin where it's implied that the Denver Vespa dealer failed. In fact, when the franchisees bailed it was transferred to an established Euro dealer and has flourished.

Vespa was selling scoots in December while Colin's store was selling Xmas trees on their lot. Colin's stores are great, one-of-a-kind ventures, well suited to the stylish artist-type buyer and vintage scene. Vespa Denver caters to higher-end customers. It's a good fit for both of them. Every town should be so lucky as us to have a shop catering to each group.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
Every town should be so lucky as us to have a shop catering to each group.
I totally agree, and I totally didn't mean to turn this thread into the Colin Shattuck Hate Fest. If I could buy the guy a beer and have a laugh over the whole thing tonight, I would. It ain't gonna happen, though, that's why I'm so in favor of moving forward with our own scene...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Yeah, wow, I'm kind of stunned right now.

I just went over to the "other" BBS and read some of it. Never really did that before. Just pulled some random recent threads. Curious to see this legendary posting that jrsjr mentioned, really, which I couldn't find, BTW.

I never really read much of the BBS, but now that I have, I gotta say:

1- How some of ya put up with that for so long is beyond me.

2- I haven't seen that much hate in one place in a while.

3- Sending Jess a thank-you card

4- Anyone can have a computer and get on the internet. ANYONE.

5- Is it moderated? Apparently not.

Not to sound all elitist or whatever, but I'm embarrassed by what I read on that board. It's like a bunch of little boys postings, complete with doo-doo remarks and boobie pictures and ghetto-poser talk. It's so all-the-same, there's no individuals and no tolerance of differing views. It's like the postings are so rigidly of a certain "non-conformist" type, that they're all the same and thus totally conformist. Complete with "here's a list of things I hate" postings. If you don't agree then it's flame after flame of "fuck you you're not a real scooterist". Wow.

Like I said, I never really looked at it until now. Yikes. Are these our peers? Maybe it's just a few and the majority are OK people, I dunno.

I'm a sad Panda.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I'm going to avoid the urge to link to one of the two infamous Modern Vespa threads over on ScooterBBS, as it'll just open old wounds and, really, nothing good can come of it.

The post jrsjr is referencing could have come from someone other than Colin, as it was posted without the user being logged in (a weakness of ScooterBBS, in my opinion) but still, chances are it was from him. His usual login there is the name of his Lambretta or a shortened version of the same name when he's not logged in.

The post was petty and mean-spirited and showed a remarkable lack of maturity for someone so revered in the scooter scene.

I kinda feel like I've just seen Ace the Face working as a bellboy.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Don't shred that book! Send it to me, and I'll read it without bias.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
word
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
The new side of the BBS used to be really great. I started lurking and posting on there about 2.5 years ago, and have had my scoot for 2 years. For a good year or so, things were civil, humorous, and educational. Without that place, I wouldn't have met some really great people. Both virtually and in real life.

As for the book being perhaps a bit inaccurate, or incomplete, I offer this. No book can be everything to everybody. I think it gives a lot of good information. I think the East Coast history info should have been inclued. That said, getting good information is not always easy. There is a club in KC that was once huge and I can't find much information on what it was like in its heyday. I know people who were in it, and they just don't talk much about it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0433s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0034s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]