OP
UTC

ET4

ET4
UTC quote
Does anyone here know of where I can find a good sample DMV test for California, or study review for my motorcycle license/permit??
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
Check with your local dealer. I have 2 of them.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
This is not California specific, but should be of help. http://www.golocalnet.us/motorcycles/1skill.htm
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others

Hooked
@sean avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others
UTC quote
I think they change the test every year, but my advice STUDY the motorcycle booklet (available at the DMV) or take a motorcycle training course I'll look up more info and post it here. .

Sean
@e_w_y avatar
UTC

Piaggio LT150

@e_w_y avatar
Piaggio LT150
UTC

2006 Silver Bajaj Chetak

2006 Silver Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
California Cycle Test
Also be sure to not only study the motorcycle part.. but also the book for your regular license. I took the test back in June.. and there are TWO parts, one for your regular licence, and one part for the cycle. So study both parts.
I didn't study.. I thought because I have been driving for 34 years, that I was 'smart' enough to take it. I failed it the first time. I missed 2 more questions than what they allow you to miss. I laughed to myself as I left the DMV, because I had been humbled really quick.
I have to go in now to take the driving part. They give you a whole year to go back to take the drivers part of the test.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Re: California Cycle Test
WagnerSDW wrote:
Also be sure to not only study the motorcycle part.. but also the book for your regular license. I took the test back in June.. and there are TWO parts, one for your regular licence, and one part for the cycle. So study both parts.
I didn't study.. I thought because I have been driving for 34 years, that I was 'smart' enough to take it. I failed it the first time. I missed 2 more questions than what they allow you to miss. I laughed to myself as I left the DMV, because I had been humbled really quick.
I have to go in now to take the driving part. They give you a whole year to go back to take the drivers part of the test.
The law has changed in the past year or two, as I was only given the test for the motorcycle portion, as was my dad at a different DMV. But you do need to be careful, because my brother was asked to take both car and motorcycle tests. Some DMV workers don't know that you only have to take the motorcycle portion if you've already got the car license. You might need to tell them about the change in the law, and have them verify. Seems not all DMV employees know all of the the changes in the law each year. This is for California DMV.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I've also noticed that in CA they can opt to give you the second test or waive it, seemingly at their discretion. My wife went to one DMV and had to take both tests. I went to a different DMV on the same day and the clerk put a little note on my paperwork indicating I only had to take the motorcycle test, which a second clerk (in a different line) read, noted, and gave me just the MC test.

That said, I have no idea what their criteria was, or even if there was in fact a criteria in the first place.
UTC

2006 Silver Bajaj Chetak

2006 Silver Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Hey Mesmer.. Thank you for that information. You too Jess. Very interesting.. I for one had to take both tests. I wish I would've known the law, so I could have politely challenged them. But then again, that is the last thing I want to do, is to tick off one of the DMV employees. I have a feeling they could make life difficult for you if they wanted to.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
"Both" test, ie the Car and Motorcylce depends on when you last took your written for the Car. You can opt for a early renew since you're going to pay for both anyway for the Motorcycle, so if you haven't taken the car written in X number of years, and you are doing the early renew then they give you both.
UTC

Vespa LX 150

Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
When I applied for my motorcycle permit (CA), I had to take the a test that included Car and motorcycle questions. I passed the motorvehicle test section but failed the motocycle test. Because I passed the motorvehicle section, I only had to re-take the motorcycle test. I will have to pass the motorcycle drive test in order to get my license to operate the motorcycle.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
just an FYI for those in CA
if you roll into the DMV to renew your driving license (class C) and you apply for a motorcycle license (class M) at the same time take note that they will give you both written tests at the same time. BUT then you have to schedule your ride test.
now here's the important part:
you cannot take the ride test the same day as the written-- which is different than the class C. AND, most importantly, they won't SEND you the new/updated license untill you complete your ride test.
for example, if you had to renew in jan. and you went in to renew and get a class M at the same time they won't issue the license untill you complete ride portion of the test.
just an FYI, because getting your shit impounded due to the inefficency and bureaucracy of the DMV sucks.

best,
-greasy
@slogans7 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX150

Enthusiast
@slogans7 avatar
LX150
UTC quote
My wife and I took our motorcycle tests the same day at the same DMV (San Clemente). Since I hadn't been to the DMV in a year, I had to take both the car and cycle test. She just took the cylce test since she'd been in more recently. We'd been studying the book for a week and both of us passed easily. The questions are based on what's in the book, of course but you may want to spend some time on:
* Braking
* Entering a freeway
* Where to stay in a lane
* What other drives think if you forget to turn off you turn signal
* Riding in a group
* The effects of alcohol on a person driving a cycle
* Which brake(s) to use when a tire goes flat

Study to book, think logically when you take the test (and ride) and you'll be fine.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0348s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0091s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]