@slomojoe avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@slomojoe avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
So today I rushed and left work a bit early because I felt like riding, and as I was riding along in a nice residential neighborhood, I hear a ping sound from my back tire. Sure enough, a few turns later my scooter's backside starts feeling all soft and wobbly, so I stop and of course my tire's going flat. I don't have a tire repair kit with me, but i am less than two miles from home, so I make my way here, as slowly and cautiously as I can in light traffic.

In my garage I check the tire and it's flat, as in 0 pressure (well, 1 bar or whatever that is in psi). I found the hole (no nail in there of course) and I think it's small enough to be repairable with a plug, but my question is - how much damage could I have done to the tire by riding on it practically flat for 2 miles? Should I just bite the bullet and get a new one, even if the plug holds?

To make things worse, the tire is a 140 Michelin Pilot City, with maybe 1000 miles on it tops, which I thought was the cat's pajamas when I put it on - just beautiful riding (well, compared to the worn out Pirelli before it). Of course, Pilot Cities have been discontinued and it's practically impossible to find them. City Grips (of which I have one in front) are good, arguably better, but quite expensive ($80) and don't come in 140 size. What a pain!
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I had a flat and it got plugged,twice coming back up the island. I know i ran it for more than a total of 2 miles flat coming home. It had 2 plugs and held air. It could of been my imagination but i didn't feel right when i rode it with the plugs in. I got the tire changed. Better to be safe than have it blow at speed. If it were me i'd change it but only you will know what your comfortable with. Sorry about your flat and good luck.
@micheleocla avatar
UTC

Hooked
09 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@micheleocla avatar
09 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Look closely at the tire
You need to take a close look at the tire to see whether it might work well if plugged. If the hole is in the tread area and looking inside the tire you see a very small clean hole, it's possible and even likely that there has been no separation of tire plies or other significant damage. In this case you might find that plugging will do the trick and you might well ride safely, particularly if you only take short trips, don't ride at high speeds, etc.

If the puncture is in the sidewall area, forget about it. Replace the tire. If you are a maniac rider or spend time at freeway speeds, ditto.

Peace of mind--replace the tire. That's what I'd do. Peace of mind is worth more than a few bucks.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I think the danger is that the sidewall would be damaged by riding on a flat. I don't know if scooter tires have belts, but driving on a flat passenger car tire will destroy the sidewalls internally.
@micheleocla avatar
UTC

Hooked
09 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@micheleocla avatar
09 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Excuse double post.
⚠️ Last edited by MicheleOcla on UTC; edited 1 time
@micheleocla avatar
UTC

Hooked
09 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@micheleocla avatar
09 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
I think the danger is that the sidewall would be damaged by riding on a flat. I don't know if scooter tires have belts, but driving on a flat passenger car tire will destroy the sidewalls internally.
Absolutely. Likelihood of overheating, tearing of belts and delamination. But two miles at low speeds on a partially-deflated scooter tire may not be so destructive.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
To the op: spend the money and get a new tire.
MicheleOcla wrote:
NightWing wrote:
Absolutely. Likelihood of overheating, tearing of belts and delamination. But two miles at low speeds on a partially-deflated scooter tire may not be so destructive.
is it worth the risk and chance when riding at speed down the road to have a major failure that was caused by a broken internal belt.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I'd plug it and see how well it stood up to use over the next few days. If no flags are raised then carry on.

The MCG in the 130/70 size is just fine on the GT200 if you do need to change the tyre.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
jimc,
I have two GT 200s. What is "The MCG in 130-70 size"? Is that a tire (tyre) brand and size?
@desmolicious avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@desmolicious avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I'd plug it and see how well it stood up to use over the next few days. If no flags are raised then carry on.

Don't do it. Riding 2 miles on a flat tyre will have damaged the plies within it.

Using it over the next few days is not good advice, as it could still catastrophically fail while you are riding.
That's the thing, you don't know. What you do know is that these tyres are not designed to be ridden for any distance completely flat.

Your well being is worth more than the cost of a new tyre.
@dougsfield avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GT 200L

Hooked
@dougsfield avatar
Vespa GT 200L
UTC quote
Dang, riding on a flat's got to be bad for a tire. For future reference, I have a flat tire kit under my seat. Didn't cost much for the plug kit. I have a $10 portable compressor from Walmart there also. To use it I had to hookup a 12 volt accessory (ie, cigarette lighter) adapter which was pretty easy as I already had a trickle charger adapter hooked up to my battery. The 12 volt accessory adapter will allow you to power the air compressor as well as any other appliance that uses a "cigarette lighter" type outlet such as a gps or cellphone. Anyways, this allows me to fix any flat tire right on the spot anywhere out on the road. I did this a while back and plugged 2 nail holes and was able to get a year and 2000 miles more on the tire. Have done this for over 30 years with my car tires with no problem. Here's a video to give you an idea how to hook up the 12 volt accessory adapter (I've got to make a video of the simple process I used to do it on my Vespa some time):

@quipmc avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 GT 200L Grigio_Smoky a.k.a. "Il Grande Lebowski"

Ossessionato
@quipmc avatar
2005 GT 200L Grigio_Smoky a.k.a. "Il Grande Lebowski"
UTC quote
I've got to admit I'm not comfortable with plugged tires for any longer than it takes to go get the tire replaced. I had a plug fail - carefully installed following all directions - and was very thankful to be traveling at a relatively slow speed when the tire failed. Since I frequently breeze along the freeway at 70 mph I want my tires as little compromised as possible.

I'd be concerned about sidewall damage after riding on a flat for two miles, but in the end it's your call. If you do plug the tire, start out with some slow trips around the block to ensure the plug is secure and the handling on turns isn't squirrely.

Good luck.
OP
@slomojoe avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@slomojoe avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Alright, thanks all for the advice. I agree it's not worth pinching pennies on something like tires. I'll call my shop today and see what they have in stock, then try to plug the thing and if possible go there for a replacement before the weekend.

I guess I got punished for playing hooky from work! Crying or Very sad emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0267s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0074s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]