OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
I have been trying to figure out what is behind my reluctance to put a top box (or top case for you USA dudes) on my GT200.
Now I know why....(see my Photoshop effort below)

But seriously, does anyone else really believe they (top boxes) do anything to enhance the beautiful, classic Italian lines that have been developed over generations.
Would you put a roof box on a Ferrari...would ya.....

It's Unnatural
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Boulty on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

UTC quote
totally agree, but then again I think under seat storage is unnatural.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
For now, I have al the storage I need in my glovebox and in my backpack. I don't like the way a box looks on a scoot. And I don't think it improves handling when it's full of stuff either.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
I could not ride without mine. Use it everyday very "fuctional" and user friendly.

As to looks I really have not seen to many scooters in my town, and only one other Vespa, he had a top box. I like both with and without looks. I really think it depends on how one uses the scooter. I guess I could have gotten a backpack and done that. Not sure if my fullface helmet, spare gloves, lock, spare sunglasses, couple of towels, spare shirt/jacket, would all fit in a backpack? Just my view, it is all good, while scooting, Beale.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
UTC quote
Thank God a px has a big glovebox. It's fits my gloves, my rain pants, two locks, a towel and copies of my papers. And there's room to spare for some groceries.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Top Boxes look ungainly... no question. As do Windshields (often) and lap robes (almost always).

It helps to visit Italy or France where just about every single scoot you see has a top box & windshield and often a Termoscud.

Honestly, the Europeans haven gotten past a certain 'vanity' stage with their scooters, and just do whatever it takes to make the ride work.
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I definitely agree that scooters look better without the top case, but if I didn't have the extra space to put my "stuff" I would either have to ride the cage or motorcycle.

As far as natural looking, I look more natural without my helmet.
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
Dude, I had this article written a couple of days ago about an incident that occured with my top case:

Today, while riding to work and going thru the cobblestone streets of Old San Juan I noticed a strange noise coming from my top case of my 200GL. It was also vibrating a lot! I though It was my extra helmet doing all this noise. When I got to work, I checked the top case and to my surprise, the two "things"(don't know the name) that holds the top case to the rear rack have broken off due to the vibration. It even broke part of the steel rear rack. The type of material used to hold the top case is made of a really shitty composite as well as the material used for the rear rack. To pay almost $300.00 for a top case that breaks up like this I think that, IT SUCKS!!!. Vespa should have come up with a stronger material for the money. I took the top case off (it looks like crap) until I can figure it out how to make a plate that will hold the top case to the rear rack from the bottom because I don't not want to lose it. I certainly cannot afford to pay almost $300.00 for a new one. Have this happened to anyone out here? Any suggestions?

So, think about it twice before buying the Vespa manufactured top case. Shop around for a more sturdy material top case. Then it's just a matter of having it re-painted with your scooter's color.

VESPARICAN 8)
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
+1 Top case, rear view
I actually decided to get a top case after following a friend who has one on her ET4-- and appreciating how much more visible she was with that block of color and large horizontal reflector at waist height.

Living in the land of long, rainy, low-visibility winters, I want to maximize the chances that I'll be seen-- So, for me, the top case looks great!
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
I often ride to work. Until I can get a laptop under the seat or in the glove box I'll need a top case.

I have a backpack, but that makes hot days even hotter and I don't feel like carrying it around when I get off the scoot.

Anyway, if I was overly concerned with how good the scooter looked, I would never take it out with me riding on it.
OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
UTC quote
great feedback - thank you
Thanks for the great comments. I appreciate the visibilty issue from PDXVespa..it is a real issue in Auckland too. Long wet winters and very agro motorists, every chance to be seen should be maximised.
The comments on the Vespa top box have also been valuable as it seems many of you prefer the Givi case on quality and looks......amazingly they are half the price of a Vespa box.
Thanks Menhir...I too need to cary a laptop and stuff so I haven't ruled out a top box yet, I currently use a really good backpac - Deuter Race X Air, which is designed for pedalists (my other passion) and it has a mesh/frame that keeps it clear of your back. ..this is absolutely the best backpac I have ever owned. It is fairly compact but performs very well.

I was definitely fishing for some passionate responses and a result was forthcoming.
Cheers everyone.
@rabiedmushroom avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

Enthusiast
@rabiedmushroom avatar
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
Practicality aside, there are definately some scooters that look better than others with a top box.

Luckily, Vespas DO look funky with them!
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
I actually thought that the top case rounded out the appearance of my bike a lot when I got it, but to each their own

I know I needed mine when I rode down to LA - under seat storage and a large backpack just do not cut it on a 450mi trip that resulted in 6 days of vacation. There's just no way I coulda made it without additional storage without getting a little rank...
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Boulty, whatever anyone thinks about topcase form/function, that's a very nice backpack!

From a visibility standpoint, this one's interesting, designed with 2-wheeled riders in mind, the Visi-Bag from Bikeseen. I haven't got one, but it looks functional, too. Here's a link to a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-backpack/ >>
@paul_blknblu avatar
UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
The Vespa Top Box...

I have one on my GT. It's a bonus for me as I ride to work and can store numerous things in there. Visually, on the freeway it makes the GT appear bigger - I've been behind a few and have noticed the difference.

I also do some DJ work part-time and carry vinyl (I'm old school that's my preference...)anyways, a bag of vinyl has some serious weight and the top box is no good for that as it only has ltd capacity and according to the manual should not take any more than 6 or is it 9 kgs (?) on that back rack anyhows - not sure if many of you know this? Be gentle back there.

In the hot sun, you would not want to leave much in there either as really it's only a plastic box in the end, has no lining and can be broken into very easily.

Well, in a nut-shell they get the thumbs up from me and I wouldn't ride without one. That backpack looks good though.
@wasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250 vintage red

Hooked
@wasp avatar
GTS250 vintage red
UTC quote
practical and great vintage looks!
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
<----- Here's a picture of my scoot with the "vintage" leather case on it.

I don't think it's too bad. However, I am contemplating a mid-sized tinted screen...
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Boulty,

I love the wasp Photochop!

I added my top box not so much for storage, as for protection. My eight year old daughter rides with me a lot, and she doesn't always hold on tight. I was afraid I was going to take off and dump her in the middle of an intersection!

I actually like the looks both ways. Cool and sleek without. Functional and upright with it on.

Cindy: Here's what your's would look like with the back rest on. I got this from Demon Larry a couple weeks ago.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Steve
@lisaesca avatar
UTC

Hooked
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex

Hooked
@lisaesca avatar
05 Vespa GT200 & 02 Honda Reflex
UTC quote
Vespas look good with and without
I agree with all that's been written. The Vespa and Givi top cases with backrests are great for passengers. For functionality and visibility a top case is great. We have one on our GT and the Vespa version has one of the nicest backrests I've ever seen. The sleek "butt" of the Honda Reflex we felt did not look good with a top case judging from photos of them with cases, so we opted not to. You also have to drill holes in the back wing to mount it, so that would have been a pain. I don't have any handy links to illustrate this except to point people to my photo album picture showing our two scoots nose to nose.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/escaloni@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=b666&.dnm=dc70.jpg&.src=ph

Thanks for the warning about cobblestones and GT top cases. Maybe if it was empty it wouldn't have been damaged, but you're right, for the money it should have held up better.

Lisa

PS: Forgot to mention that the Reflex is so long that with a top case it wouldn't have fit in our shed!
@scooterchik avatar
UTC

2006 GT200

@scooterchik avatar
2006 GT200
UTC quote
I think they look better without the top case. However I live in the land of "Gods Waiting Room". Where at the DMV I saw an old man with a walker fail his eye exam 3 times, they let him take it a 4th time and gave him his license. Where the average age is 63. (And I am 27) I have the top case mainly for visibility purposes. Anything to help people see me is great!!! lol Laughing emoticon
@paul_blknblu avatar
UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Vespa Top Box = easy to scratch.
Anyone out there got any GT Vintage Green paint they can send me or at least find for me that I can purchase??
I speak to my dealer about it and he always shrugs his shoulders and gives me one of these looks...
then I chuck him one of these and in-turn I get a when I really want some Razz emoticon
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
paul blknblu, tell your dealer "Order me some touch up paint" & then you'll have some! 8)
UTC

Vespa GT 200L

Vespa GT 200L
UTC quote
pdxvespa, I have that Visi-Bag from Bikeseen.

It was a Christmas present. It is very visable, which was the point behind the gift. With that regard, it rocks. It holds more than you would expect. It is shaped in such a way that carrying a laptop is quite easy.

My complaints are:
1) it doesn't seem to break up or organize the interior space as well as I like. I prefer more pockets. Since the main compartment is so large, stuff gets lost in the bottom.
2) The zippers are a light weight plastic. They haven't split yet, but I just know that that is just a matter of time. I can just feel it every time I use it.

If you are considering this purchase, I recommend you see it first hand and not make a blind internet purchase.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Thanks for the first hand review, Beth. Maybe you could take pre-emptive action & have a luggage shop replace the zippers w something hardier---
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
Got my scooter's top case fixed!!! And I did it myself.

Tools needed:

Drill
¾ drill bit
Phillips Screwdriver
Crescent wrench

The Materials used were:

2, 2"x8" x ¼" thick stainless steel plates
2, 2 ½ " stainless steel bolts
4 stainless steel washers (two for the inside of the case two for the bottom of the case.)
2 pressure nuts (also stainless steel, why not, everything else is.)

For all of you guys that their top case broke off also this is how I did it:

1- Sewed off what was remaining of the broken top-case-holders. Leaving just the studs.
2- Drilled a couple of ¾ holes bolts on the bottom part of the top case,
3- Put the bolts thru the holes.
4- Tighten them up ...and voila', finito.

I'm back in business.

Total price for materials: $4.00 vs. $300.00 for a new top case.

Total time spent: 2 hours (by myself) Laughing emoticon

I put some rubber foam between the top case and the rack (for the vibrations). Now the top case is sturdier than before.
So, "mis amigos", don't' throw away your old broken top case, fix it yourself!

VESPARICAN 8)
@misterd avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150

Enthusiast
@misterd avatar
'02 ET4 187 / '69 GP150
UTC quote
I'm sure top boxes are really practical, but I don't want to look like I'm delivering pizza....
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Ah yes Pizza, mmm good. But if you really want to deliver pizza on your scooter, check this, http://www.cobrasales.com/delivery.htm
Now "that" is for delivering pizzas, Beale.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Damn sexy machine too! Laughing emoticon
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
There is allot of practicality in this kind of scooter for fast food delivery, pharmacy delivery, visiting nurse associations, and US mail delivery. Why do we insist on using expensive, grossly inefficient and impractical, 1-2 ton vehicles for these purposes?
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
Why do we insist on using expensive, grossly inefficient and impractical, 1-2 ton vehicles for these purposes?
Because we are still rich enough to do so. That will probably change as others try to have the same lifestyle as we do here in the USA.
@jepone avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT200L

Hooked
@jepone avatar
2005 GT200L
UTC quote
mixed
personally i have mixed feelings.
i really like the storage and even the looks,
i think it balances the scoot out, and it is
great for a passenger.

but i don't like the lightened front wheel feeling
that it seems to cause on the GT, even with the
bar weights.
@machineguncharley avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)

Hooked
@machineguncharley avatar
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)
UTC quote
Hey, does anyone know where there are Vespa/Piaggio Leather or Canvas top boxes? I know they used to be around a year or two ago, but now they have disappeared. I have heard that they were discontinued. Does anyone know where one can be found in new or mint condition? Black preferred.

Thanks,

Chuck
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Top case
Motorsport Scooters has them. Also check eBay from time to time.

Tim
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0404s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0047s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]