UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150 (187cc), Kawa ZZR400, Honda VTR250

Hooked
@phaedrus avatar
UTC quote
Hi, I am new here.

Just one question, do you reckon that LX 150 is safe on the highway 2 up? It gets a little wobbly around 80 km/h. I also own a motorcycle with much more power, but I seems to enjoy riding the LX more not to metnion the practicality. I feel a bit insure sometimes on the highway with the LX without the reserve power to get out of trouble (drivers have no respect for riders here where I am from), and I am not so confident about the LX braking power. Overtaking cars 2 up seems so difficult!

Please advise. Anyone rides on highway on a regular basis.

Thanks

Phaedrus
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Phaedrus,

What to you mean by highway? What speed limits are you talking about?

H and I ride backroads with speed limits of 55 all the time. I really don't want to go faster than that on a scooter. 35-45 and in town is the most fun on a scooter anyway.

To address the 2 up part, we have only ridden 2 up in town, so I don't know how it would be on the open road.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I commute on my ET4. Its a 14 mile one way trip...

the busiest highways in cleveland. I-77 to I480 and back again, no problems.

-larry
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
In constant state of flux...
UTC quote
Nope. No way. Not here, at least.

In my neck of the woods (ok, semi-arid coastal desert) here in So. California, I wouldn't even think about getting on the freeways here (if that's what you mean by "highway") with my LX 150 by myself, let alone 2up. Sure, posted speed limit is 65 mph which might be doable with a tailwind and down sloping grade Razz emoticon but most folks don't drive the 65 if they can help it-more like 80 when it isn't typical stop-and-go.

There's a 4 lane road (2 each direction) I take to the office with a posted speed of 50 mph for about a 1.5 mile stretch along the mountains with just 2 lights inside the mentioned distance and a down and up grade in each direction. My speedo hits just below 70 on the down grades when I tuck really low (I'm also a lightweight at sub 140lbs) but I doubt that's the actual speed I'm going. From what I've seen from LX owners doing speed test with GPS, it seems as if your LX speedo is anywhere from 3-6mph generous once you get over 45 mph and the discrepency increases the higher the speedo reading. That said, I haven't had any car or truck crawl up my SS yet on that road with me pushing that speed -- yet.

2-up, I think, would really be pushing the top end limits. And overtaking an auto while 2-up seems hopelessly optimistic on any road with a posted speed limit above 45 mph-not to mention very risky.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
I used to commute in NYC/NJ on my scooters.

NJ turnpike...fun
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Interstate I-79 is my commute in a car. Although posted at 55 MPH, just to keep up with traffic during my afternoon commute I would have to average 65+MPH. I would be on it for about 20 miles. I tried it...didn't like it.

Add to that getting jostled by tailwinds from large tractor-trailer rigs and wind gusts in general, it is just too much of a white-knucke trip for me to enjoy the ride. And Pennsylvania has hills-a-plenty, too.

Having said that...given times with less traffic, like later at night or whenever, I would probably be somewhat more comfortable.

I personally don't think I would try it 2-up, though.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've been known to ride on the freeway... BUT...

The ride is on a GT not an LX and I ride in the HOV lane, which carries much less traffic than the regular highway. Plus most sections of it are separated from the regular lanes by concrete walls.

Technically you could ride a LX there, but I wouldn't advise it. Some rural highways at speeds under 55-60 MPH (about 95 KPH) might be OK on an LX if the road was mostly flat.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. The LX puts out under 15hp I think, which I don't think is enough to pull the weight of 2 people at (or above) freeway speeds without being on a large grade downwards...

Fastest I've ever tried to go on a highway with the GT (which puts out 21hp) 2 up was 55, which was a bit of a struggle when there was a strong headwind.
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX 150

Hooked
Vespa LX 150
UTC quote
I've gotten my LX150 (with Sito Plus pipe) a little over 60 mph with a slight downhill while riding two up with my girlfriend. (We're also two light people.) While I don't mind taking on freeways solo, I would not do it two-up (nor do I think my girlfriend would want to do it). There's simply not enough power there to keep up. Additionally, I'd be too concerned about the safety of my passenger.
OP
@phaedrus avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@phaedrus avatar
UTC quote
Thanks
Thanks All. I am from San Francisco but now live in Hong Kong. Frankly I wouldn't go on an interstate 2-up on a LX150, but here the "highways" have speed limit from 70 km/h (45mph) to 100 km/h (60km/h). It is difficult to avoid "highway" here even riding around this small city, and most highways are very short comparing to the States.

Phaedrus
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
In that case, an LX150 would serve you well.
@elvis avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX150

@elvis avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Re: Thanks
Phaedrus wrote:
Thanks All. I am from San Francisco but now live in Hong Kong. Frankly I wouldn't go on an interstate 2-up on a LX150, but here the "highways" have speed limit from 70 km/h (45mph) to 100 km/h (60km/h). It is difficult to avoid "highway" here even riding around this small city, and most highways are very short comparing to the States.

Phaedrus
Hi there Phaedrus, I too used to live in Hong Kong for a while last year. Damn I miss that place! Wish I had my LX150 over there for my commute to Nike at T.S.T. from Central...that would be cool going through the tunnel under the bay. But now I'm back in Los Angeles again and I ride my LX all over the city on the streets but haven't tackled the freeways yet on my scoot. Have taken it over the Vincent Thomas bridge which is a bit sketchy with all the semi's but I was passing them up going up hill. Now that I got the Sito Plus on my scoot I've noticed slightly more throttle acceleration and "feels" faster than the stock pipe, so I'll just have to take it for a spin up the 110 and see how the ride is.
OP
@phaedrus avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@phaedrus avatar
UTC quote
Hi Elvis, you used to work for Nike in HK. That's interesting. I went to Harbor City in TST for an interview years ago (well, they didn't hire me). Anyway, you know how drivers drive in Hong Kong. No respect for riders like if we are invisable. Having said that, it is great to scoot between cars in a traffic jam.

Phaedrus
OP
@phaedrus avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@phaedrus avatar
UTC quote
BTW Elvis, I also live near Central on Bonham Road. It's kool that the estate management let me park my LX in the garage for free.

Phaedrus.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0307s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0018s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]