OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've been considering a side stand for my scoot for a long time, basically since I got in in early '04. As many know, they are deleted for the U.S. market. But I've never acted because I keep hearing they are unstable.

I primarily park on concrete so the surface would be solid, and I'd keep a flattened can or a disk or a few AOL setup CDs in case I need support.

Anyone have experience or suggestions? Our friends in Europe and Australia & NZ have them. Should I get one? Or skip it due to the fallover risk? I'm pretty big&strong so the center stand is easy enough for me.
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500
UTC quote
i got one on my GT(euro model) and it's cool.. i use it once in a while and it makes neat sparks when i make left turns during "aggressive" riding.
got 'em in stock!
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
I put one on my GT. I do like it. You do have to be careful when you use it. You can't park it facing downhill, or uneven areas. I've heard that a really strong wind can knock it over. Just use your common sense about it. It's more convenient in most cases. The only thing I've noticed is that I catch my pantleg in the foot actuator (or whatever that thing is called) when I put my feet on the ground on occasion.
@solid_steel avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT & Vespa LX

Addicted
@solid_steel avatar
Vespa GT & Vespa LX
UTC quote
we get them as standard - they are fine....
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
scooterbobby wrote:
i got one on my GT(euro model) and it's cool.. i use it once in a while and it makes neat sparks when i make left turns during "aggressive" riding.
got 'em in stock!
Ya I forgot about the possibility of it dragging on a turn. I've only scraped the center stand once or twice and that's a pretty unnerving experience. Presumably the GTS part would be the same as the GT, what with them being the same scooter and all.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
I put one on my et. Scares me some though so I rarely use it. On solid flat ground it's fine, but I worry about someone bumping it, and as it's spring loaded it might retract and BOOM To be honest I had forgotten I even had one until I read this thread.
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
took the one I had installed on Samantha's GT off...too sketchy.

-larry
@giuliano avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"

Addicted
@giuliano avatar
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"
UTC quote
I nthe UK they are standard. I think they are pretty useless really. The spring loading means I would not trust it unless I was standing within about six feet of the bike as any knock and the machine will fall over. I know people who have used a GT sidestand in motocycle parks here and come back to find the bike on the tarmac.

I only use it to prop the bike up on semi-soft ground whilst I open the gate to my property, and when I need to park the bike at the exit barrier to my employer's car park whilst I wave my smartcard at the sensor (Can't do that on the Vespa as there is a steep slope and with no foot brake it has proved unsafe!)

All other times I use the very sound centre stand.
@rabiedmushroom avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

Enthusiast
@rabiedmushroom avatar
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
I use my GTS side stand all the time when parked (privately). The scoot seems very stable. I find it kinda cool pulling up to a stop, kicking the stand forward into place, and then getting off 8)

When at work, I park on a slight incline. Because the scoot faces uphill, it actually locks the stand even harder, and its fine in blustery conditions.

However, I'm glad I still have the option of the centre stand for very stable parking in public areas. Choices, choices...
@vesparican avatar
UTC

Hooked
NONE (At this moment)

Hooked
@vesparican avatar
NONE (At this moment)
UTC quote
Vespa in Miami is selling them. Give them a call and talk to "Maria" (I got one for my bike) and had it chromed it looks cool.

VESPARICAN 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0111s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]