UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@volosong avatar
UTC quote
Search didn't show anything.

Ran over something which sliced the tread on the front wheel of my GTS 300 Super. Didn't dare ride the bike in that condition, so I removed the wheel and took it into the shop for replacement. So that I wouldn't lose any of the bolts, I just put them back into the mounting holes on the hub.

Tonight, I went to put my wheel back on, (with the new tire), but I noticed that when I removed one of the bolts, there were TWO washers, not the single one that I remember from the other day. One washer is slightly thicker and larger that the other one that I remember.

What is the order of the washers with respect to the wheel and the hub? Is it the hub, wheel, larger washer, smaller washer, bolt? Or is it hub, larger washer, wheel, smaller washer, bolt?

Thanks for clarification. I want to get back on the road tomorrow.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
look at page 89 of the parts manual it gives you the spec and order of the washers. http://www.scootermanuals.us/manuals/Vespa/GTS250/GTS250%20Parts%20Diagrams.pdf
OP
@volosong avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@volosong avatar
UTC quote
Thanks, OAD. After I get the GTS wheel back on, I need to tackle removing the rear wheel of the MP3 500 so I can take it in for a tire replacement. Found the wiki on doing on 500 rear wheel removal, so shouldn't have any "problems" with that.

Thanks again. Wonderful resource here at MV for wrenchphobic backyard mechanics.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
if you need any thing for the MP3 let us know. The rear wheel isn't bad the swing arm sometimes is stubborn to slide off the axel.
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Don't blindly trust the parts diagrams. The order of shims, nuts and washers for the variator is wrong in the GTS exploded diagram.
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300

El Macho
@dougl avatar
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
starreem wrote:
Don't blindly trust the parts diagrams. The order of shims, nuts and washers for the variator is wrong in the GTS exploded diagram.
That's very true! Order for the wheel bolts - thick washer next to the wheel, then thin cup washer (which is basically a lock washer) under the allen bolt head.
OP
@volosong avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@volosong avatar
UTC quote
DougL wrote:
starreem wrote:
That's very true! Order for the wheel bolts - thick washer next to the wheel, then thin cup washer (which is basically a lock washer) under the allen bolt head.
REALLY! Then the exploded diagram in the manual is incorrect! I better change it before riding the bike again.

The order should be what I thought it was: hub, thick washer, wheel, thin washer, bolt.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
GTS300 parts diagram for the front wheel is correct.

Hub, wheel, larger washer, smaller washer, bolt.
Bolt goes through small washer, large washer, wheel and into hub.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0241s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0041s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]