12v accessory socket?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
2003 PX200
Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:39 pm quote
Wanted to fit a 12v socket into the tool box (charging phone etc.) of my 2006 px125 disc. Thought I might find a 12v feed somewhere behind the horn cover but not finding it as easy as I had hoped.

Anyone any idea where I can get the 12v needed, without having to try and run cables all the way through the frame from the tool box to the battery?
Molto Verboso
px200
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:31 pm quote
Hello

Back to the battery with an inline fuse.

Grumpy
Addicted
1980 P200e, 1956 ACMA, 1979 P200e, 1974 Ciao
Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:42 pm quote
Oof, looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the best bet is to run a wire up the column to the ignition switch. It's much easier on the p200e. There's a white wire on the junction box right there, with switched power.

Here's (I think) the wiring diagram.

Mike
Hooked
2003 PX200
Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 pm quote
hojo1690 wrote:
Oof, looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the best bet is to run a wire up the column to the ignition switch. It's much easier on the p200e. There's a white wire on the junction box right there, with switched power.

Mike
I tried that Mike. Had a multi meter across all the wires at the switch and could only get 12v if I put the common on the battery negative (which would mean running a wire back to battery anyway). I had thought the battery negative might have been connected to the frame but that doesn't seem to be the case?
Hooked
2003 PX200
Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:58 pm quote
hojo1690 wrote:

Mike
That's not the diagram for the px125e. In the px one I can't see a black wire/connection that goes direct from battery to horn cover.
GTS 250
Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 pm quote
Hey,

I'd love to fit the same on my GTS250 (2010).

Any clever ideas? Or any idea where I can get a wiring diagram for it?

Thanks tons...
Hooked
2003 PX200
Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:15 pm quote
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Any clever ideas? ..
What's the under seat storage like?
With my ET4 I wired a 12v point straight from the battery and mounted it adjacent to the under seat storage. That way I was able to plug in my phone charger and sit the phone safely in the under seat storage
nothing at all
Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:13 pm quote
i put a 12v utility light in my gbox on a 1980 p.......it was back in 1980 so memory is a little cloudy

i took a lead off the extra tab on the ignition or spliced in a line, one or the other.......than ran that fead down the inside of the colum and out the turn signal wire hole, grounded to the gbox bracket
Addicted
1980 P200e, 1956 ACMA, 1979 P200e, 1974 Ciao
Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:18 pm quote
cazshie wrote:
I tried that Mike. Had a multi meter across all the wires at the switch and could only get 12v if I put the common on the battery negative (which would mean running a wire back to battery anyway). I had thought the battery negative might have been connected to the frame but that doesn't seem to be the case?
Bizarre. I would think the battery grounds to frame. My blinkers, up inside the glove box, only have a hot lead because the ground to frame. Your blinkers should have ground access somehow, so I would think you could tap off that and run a hot lead up into the headset.

Mike
Hooked
2003 PX200
Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:44 pm quote
hojo1690 wrote:
Bizarre. I would think the battery grounds to frame. My blinkers, up inside the glove box, only have a hot lead because the ground to frame.
That's what I thought Mike. But I put the meter across the 12v at the ignition switch and tried various ground points on the frame (including the indicator ground) and couldn't seem to get a voltage. But as soon as I put the test lead to the battery negative, there was my 12v!

I will try again tomorrow, when I have more time, and maybe check resistance values between battery negative and frame before I try and run a cable all the way from battery to tool box.
Molto Verboso
px200
Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 am quote
Hello

Just beware that a lot of the wiring in the horn cast is AC you want DC which is available at the battery run a positive and negative dirct from the battery with an inline fuse.

Grumpy
nothing at all
Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:59 am quote
go to your schematic and find the hot coming from the battery to the ign switch.....right next to it(if you have an 8 pole)is an extra tab....or put a spliter to the hot and then check the ground for your signal in the gbox....you should read 12v....run a lead from that hot down the column and to your light, device, tv, stereo, blender, seat warmer, you get the idea....then ground at gbox bracket
Hooked
2003 PX200
Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:34 am quote
Grumpy wrote:
Just beware that a lot of the wiring in the horn cast is AC you want DC which is available at the battery run a positive and negative dirct from the battery with an inline fuse.
Yes, it's looking like that's the only way to go.

I've decided that a seperate (fused) frun from the battery through the frame to the toolbox is going to be the quickest/easiest way to get me what I need.

Thanks.
Hooked
2003 PX200
Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:26 am quote
Today I set about the task of fitting a 12v accessory socket into the toolbox.

As discussed above, my initial intent was to run a cable directly from the battery to the toolbox so I started looking at how that might be done.

After removing the side panels and horn cover I soon discovered that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to run a new cable through the frame.

However, whilst trying to work out how the hell I was going to get a cable from the battery to the tool box, and checking all possible openings and routes .. I discovered that the battery negative (on the engine side) was actually sitting loose.
Now I remember when I got the scooter the previous owner had informed me that he'd disconnected the feed to the starter motor (due to fitting a kit) and it suddenly dawned on me that he must have disconnected both the starter motor feed and the battery negative.
"Hey ho", I thought to myself and proceeded to re-connect the battery negative to the engine casing.
Lo and behold .. I discovered that I was now able to get a 12v feed at the front of the scooter, and no longer needed to run a cable all the way through the frame (which was lucky because I think it would have been difficult).

I ran a cable from the ignition live/hot into the toolbox (ensuring it had an inline fuse, as advised by Grumpy) and mounted the 12v socket into the top left hand corner of the toolbox. I used the upper indicator screw to both secure the socket and to give me a negative/ground point.

I've provided a couple of photos (below). The first one shows the 12v socket mounted in the toolbox (adjacent to left indicator) and the second one with my phone charger plugged in and charging.

nothing at all
Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:59 am quote
maybe i'm in a cave here, but i've been telling you to do this from the get go
Hooked
2003 PX200
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:28 am quote
jimmyb865 wrote:
You were Jimmy, but until I had discovered that the battery negative had been disconnected by the previous owner then no amount of searching under the horn cover was able to give me the 12v required.

All good now though, and to be honest I learn more when things don't go according to plan.
nothing at all
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 am quote
cazshie wrote:
jimmyb865 wrote:
You were Jimmy, but until I had discovered that the battery negative had been disconnected by the previous owner then no amount of searching under the horn cover was able to give me the 12v required.

All good now though, and to be honest I learn more when things don't go according to plan.
true, true..........i always have more fun when i discover it on my own

i'm not familiar with the p electrical when they went with the modern heads set.........all for the better cause the pre 95? was a bundle on the ign in the top

the good thing is your device draws milli amps to charge so you are safe of overload.........would'nt go with a spot light or seat warmer though, or tv
GTS 250
Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:54 pm quote
cazshie wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Any clever ideas? ..
What's the under seat storage like?
With my ET4 I wired a 12v point straight from the battery and mounted it adjacent to the under seat storage. That way I was able to plug in my phone charger and sit the phone safely in the under seat storage
Hhmmm... Sounds quick, clean and simple... Might be a good idea but I think for ease of reach I'd like to run into the tool\glove box.

BUt I'll have to give your idea serious thought.

Thanks tons..
Hooked
2003 PX200
Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 pm quote
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Hhmmm... Sounds quick, clean and simple... Might be a good idea but I think for ease of reach I'd like to run into the tool\glove box.
That was exactly why I did it that way on my ET4. Battery was right next to underseat storage and I was able to fit a flush mounted socket beside the bucket.

As you can see above, I've run the one on my current PX125 from under the horncover to the toolbox, although I've had to go with a surface mounted socket this time.

I got my sockets from eBay and the flush mounted one came with an inline fuse fitted, the surface mount one I've just fitted didn't so I had to get and fit an inline fuse.
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.0525s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0350s) ][ Debug on ][ Thing Two ]