OP
UTC

Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e

Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e
UTC quote
It's almost freezing here in Northern Cal. I finally put a cigarette lighter socket on the left access hatch ( gt200 ), wired up the Gerbing gloves with SAE connectors ( Radio Shack ), and I want to tell you, they are fantastic!
It's so cold without them that my hands were getting dangerously cold. I can hardly believe how well these work.
Just a little encouragement for fellow low-temperature riders.

Russ in Mountain View
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
I have a heated vest wired up....and I love it.

If your torso is warm enough your hands do not seem so cold, IMHO.

Well at least so far.

R

8)
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Heated vest and heated grips on my GTS. Toasty!
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Has anyone heard of anybody doing a heated seat mod Also, could you put up some photo's of the gloves and how they are hooked up on the bike. I am having trouble imagining them and how they are set up?
@karenscoots avatar
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS, '06 GT, '79 P200, '80 Sport 100

Hooked
@karenscoots avatar
'06 GTS, '06 GT, '79 P200, '80 Sport 100
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I've never known if the GTS can handle both a heated vest and grips at the same time - this is good to hear. I knew it could do grips but I wasn't sure if it could do a vest. Both at the same time: bonus!

Karen
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Heated Gear
The GTS has fairly good electrical system (for a scooter). 21 amps at speed which would be about 280 watts. Just say it takes about 150 watts (just guessing because this it what it takes to run my BMW) to run the scooter that'll leave you about 130 watts. A heated vest draws about 60 watts a heated jacket liner draws 77 watts (which is about 6.4 amps). Heated gloves draw 22 watts (for both). The watts draw quoted are for the items being on full. You can get thermostats that will allow the heat to be regulated using less power has you turn it down.

I work the International Motorcycle Shows for Gerbing's Heated Clothing. Have been a customer since 1976. After I retired they asked me to help out at the IMS. Was just in Novi, MI (Detroit). Next stop for me is New York.
@roadbum avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 LX150

Molto Verboso
@roadbum avatar
'07 LX150
UTC quote
Up here in Minnesota I think most riders (what, four of the six of us?) just dress like we would to go snowmobiling.

Roadbum
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
'10 GTS 300 Super, '79 Vespa P200E, '04 Vespa PX200, 2011 SportCity 300 Cube [Sold]
UTC quote
Re: Heated Gear
Turkman wrote:
I work the International Motorcycle Shows for Gerbing's Heated Clothing. Have been a customer since 1976. After I retired they asked me to help out at the IMS. Was just in Novi, MI (Detroit). Next stop for me is New York.
Turkman - when will you be in NYC? I live here and am interested in getting this gear.

Is the GTS able to handle the full Gerbing heated suit (Jacket, pants, socks and gloves)? According to the following article, the GTS just barely makes the cut:

The Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner did not perform well at all with alternators of less than 250 Watts output. With alternators of 300 Watts and above, it works well and provides lots of heat, but it's not as uniform as we'd like. The work involved in getting the wiring and controller set and adjusted prior to each ride is the price to pay for warmth.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-jacket/
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Wangta01 wrote:
Turkman - when will you be in NYC? I live here and am interested in getting this gear.

Is the GTS able to handle the full Gerbing heated suit (Jacket, pants, socks and gloves)?
The International Motorcycle Show in New York will be at the Javits Convention Center, Jan., 19, 20 & 21. Stop by the Gerbings booth, I'm the old bald guy with a "Randy Turk" name tag.

Cathy and I on our GTS run 2 heated jacket liners and she runs heated gloves. We use thermostats so the draw is usually never at max., so far no problems in 12,000 miles. We turn our gear on when we're cruising and always turn it off in town.
@wangta avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@wangta avatar
UTC quote
Turkman wrote:
Wangta01 wrote:

Is the GTS able to handle the full Gerbing heated suit (Jacket, pants, socks and gloves)?
The International Motorcycle Show in New York will be at the Javits Convention Center, Jan., 19, 20 & 21. Stop by the Gerbings booth, I'm the old bald guy with a "Randy Turk" name tag.

Cathy and I on our GTS run 2 heated jacket liners and she runs heated gloves. We use thermostats so the draw is usually never at max., so far no problems in 12,000 miles. We turn our gear on when we're cruising and always turn it off in town.
Nice - I will be there on Sunday (21st). Will make sure to drop by.

Is it possible to have the jacket + pants + gloves work with the GTS? I'm guessing I'd have to turn it off in town.
@rocketman avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET2,GT200

Enthusiast
@rocketman avatar
ET2,GT200
UTC quote
heated gloves
I purchased a carbon heated seat element off e-bay for motorcycles and ATVs . It comes with a on/off/high/low/ small round switch witch matches the switch for the heated grips. I now have the installation to complete.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Turkman wrote:
You can get thermostats that will allow the heat to be regulated using less power has you turn it down.
I intend to do exactly that for the vest. I used it during the night ride of the Big Wet One rally last week, and it was too hot.

The heated grips have a low / high switch which uses different filaments in the mylar film to achieve different levels of heat without the energy loss of a resistor. Keeping them on low is generally enough for me, and uses less power to boot.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Wangta01 wrote:
Turkman wrote:
Wangta01 wrote:

Nice - I will be there on Sunday (21st). Will make sure to drop by.

Is it possible to have the jacket + pants + gloves work with the GTS? I'm guessing I'd have to turn it off in town.
I'm probably coming up to the NYC show on Saturday. I'll stop by and check out the Gerbings and say hi.
@timbit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Fly 150, 2006 black

Molto Verboso
@timbit avatar
Fly 150, 2006 black
UTC quote
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon What's with all the Californians with heated clothing and scooter parts?!?ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Timbit wrote:
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon What's with all the Californians with heated clothing and scooter parts?!?ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon
Low for today is 30F. It's 45F at the moment. Not as cold as it is up there, but it's cold enough to make riding uncomfortable. Since we generally don't have or need snowmobiling outfits in California, we have to buy something to keep us warm. What better way to spend money than to buy accessories for your scooter?
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I intend to do exactly that for the vest. I used it during the night ride of the Big Wet One rally last week, and it was too hot.
... Pobrecito!

(I nearly froze me nuts off)
@sarah avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Stella

Molto Verboso
@sarah avatar
Stella
UTC quote
Yeah, I could use some heated clothes too. It was a cold 19 degrees this morning and now we're inching our way to our high of a balmy 29 degrees today! I actually saw 2 motorcyclists this morning and was impressed they were riding. The streets were still a bit icy from yesterday in some parts so I drove the car today.
@rinshu avatar
UTC

Hooked
'73 Primavera 125 / '05 Stella/ '63 150GL/ '80 PX150E

Hooked
@rinshu avatar
'73 Primavera 125 / '05 Stella/ '63 150GL/ '80 PX150E
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Which grips do you have? I ride in 30-40 temps in the mornings alot and my hands are usually my one cold spot.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Rinshu wrote:
Which grips do you have? I ride in 30-40 temps in the mornings alot and my hands are usually my one cold spot.
I have these heated grips from California Sport Touring. Actually, they're not grips so much as heater elements that fit under the grips.

Wiring is a bit of a pain in the butt, though -- it requires headset removal and a line run directly from the battery. It is also preferable to have an ignition-switched relay as well, to avoid accidentally leaving them on and running down your battery.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@timbit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Fly 150, 2006 black

Molto Verboso
@timbit avatar
Fly 150, 2006 black
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Timbit wrote:
Low for today is 30F. It's 45F at the moment. Not as cold as it is up there, but it's cold enough to make riding uncomfortable. Since we generally don't have or need snowmobiling outfits in California, we have to buy something to keep us warm. What better way to spend money than to buy accessories for your scooter?
Just poking! The reality is that you can often get colder when the air is not as cold since you are more likely to go on long rides. I ride (scooter and bikes) in very cold weather, but rarely for more than half an hour or so. Wind proofing is often enough to get from A to B without freezing.

And scooter accessories are fun!
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Wangta01 wrote:
Is the GTS able to handle the full Gerbing heated suit (Jacket, pants, socks and gloves)? According to the following article, the GTS just barely makes the cut:

The Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner did not perform well at all with alternators of less than 250 Watts output. With alternators of 300 Watts and above, it works well and provides lots of heat, but it's not as uniform as we'd like. The work involved in getting the wiring and controller set and adjusted prior to each ride is the price to pay for warmth.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-jacket/
I was in contact with webBike World when when they did the test of the jacket liner (before I was doing the IMS for Gerbings). You can see my comments if you scroll down to the comments section. They did most of the testing by using the jacket "liner" for a outer jacket.....it won't work worth a dam like that, it's made to work under a jacket, it's a heated jacket liner.

Like I said, Cathy and I use 2 jacket liners (with thermostsats) and one pair of heated gloves with no problems on our GTS. If there's a problem running heated gear it's usually because they left it on (maybe on full) while riding in town.

I generally like what webBike World has to say. I think they provide a really good service as far as real world testing of motorcycle gear goes. Some one from Gerbings should have been in touch with them concerning the correct way to use the jacket liner and helped them out a bit more on hooking the wiring harness up and using the thermostat.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
2-up on a P200.......
When I had my P200E, Cathy usually wore a heated vest when we were riding in Canada.......she always turned it off when we were riding in towns, never had a problem with the electrical system.
@roadbum avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 LX150

Molto Verboso
@roadbum avatar
'07 LX150
UTC quote
Timbit wrote:
jess wrote:
Timbit wrote:
Just poking! The reality is that you can often get colder when the air is not as cold since you are more likely to go on long rides. I ride (scooter and bikes) in very cold weather, but rarely for more than half an hour or so. Wind proofing is often enough to get from A to B without freezing.

And scooter accessories are fun!
Timbit, that's how I ride too. I take shorter rides but try to make sure no drafts are flying around underneath that top layer. You might think that your being south of Minneapolis (actually I'm another hour north of that even) it would be a little warmer. What people tend to forget is that large bodies of water, ie the Great Lakes, ups the humidity so much that even much warmer weather can "go right through you". Damp air is a drag. I used to live in the Milwaukee area and it didn't need to snow for the night's humidity to settle on the cars come morning. It could get bad enough that the side of the car facing the oncoming wind would freeze shut at the inner door seals. In winter, if your car was parked outside and you had no choice about the way to park it (winter parking regs allowing easaier passage of plows) you simply kept your front seats clear of stuff so you could slide across of you had to. Real fun with that center console of the newer vehicles NOT. I don't doubt for an instant what you deal with is often rougher than what I might even though I'm quite a bit north of you.

So.. any Maine scooterists on this board?

The Roadbum

Roadbum
@jconner avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS, MP3, Honda elite II, etc

Lurker
@jconner avatar
GTS, MP3, Honda elite II, etc
UTC quote
Gerbing is great
I got a gerbing jacket and gloves and run them with a splitter direct from my battery. Greatest accessory for cold riding climates.
Definitely recommend. Sizing is tricky. Call a dealer for correct fit.
I got mine at Moto Italia-www.vespaedwardsville.com
Friendly and knowledgable.
J
@mstevens avatar
UTC

Addicted
'05 LX 150 "Rosso Dragon"

Addicted
@mstevens avatar
'05 LX 150 "Rosso Dragon"
UTC quote
Re: Heated gloves are fantastic!
pointpergame wrote:
It's almost freezing here in Northern Cal. ... It's so cold without them that my hands were getting dangerously cold..
I'm sorry, but this just cracks me up! I guess it's all in what you're used to. I kept the top up on the roadster today because it's freezing rain (which is the same reason I drove instead of riding).
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
@mdavidm avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
@mdavidm avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
Grip heater wiring question
My grip heaters just came in the mail, and I'm reviewing the installation instructions. It all seems pretty clear to me (despite my minimal electrical knowledge) except the step where you are advised to "attach the ring terminal to a ground source..use a frame component or a ground wire, not a rubber isloated component such as a handlebar or steering assembly".

So if I''m working on the headset area, where should I attach the ground wire? Is there an appropriate frame screw nearby?

@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Re: Grip heater wiring question
mdavidm wrote:
So if I''m working on the headset area, where should I attach the ground wire? Is there an appropriate frame screw nearby?
I used the apparently un-needed bracket inside the horn cast. It's the bracket with four holes at the very top of the photo (Thanks Jess- I stole your photo-much better than mime ) I used a dremel tool to cut away the paint down to the bare metal, and used a nut and bolt (smaller than the nut welded to the bracket) with a lock washer to really dig into the metal, since I didn't have the correct metric bolt.

I used a barrier strip with a loop clip to make a central ground point for any mod I wish to do in the future. Its attached to the top of the glove box with hook and loop (Velcro) fastner with a long loop to take it out and work on it easy. That's the second blurry photo (mine)
The bracket with four holes at the very top of the photo.
The bracket with four holes at the very top of the photo.
The barrier strip attached.  The ground strap wire is visible in the upper right.
The barrier strip attached. The ground strap wire is visible in the upper right.
@mdavidm avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
@mdavidm avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
another installation question
Okay, so after much ado, and some nasty cussing, I seem to have installed my grip heaters! I wish I had taken more shop classes as a kid. Crying or Very sad emoticon

Anyway, the last step in the product's instruction sheet wants me to "Confirm no battery drain when key in OFF position."

Is there a way to do this other that wait to see if my battery ends up dead after a few days?

Thanks!
@ironfoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold

Molto Verboso
@ironfoot avatar
'07 GTS 250 - sold
UTC quote
You know those microwaveable hot water bottles and heat pads you can buy?

Why can't I find motorcycle gloves designed around the same principle? hmmm??
UTC

Hooked
2007 Piaggio BV500

Hooked
2007 Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
Timbit wrote:
Maybe they should come north of the border for a ride...and Not to BC as the weather there isn't much colder than California. Razz emoticon Razz emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0422s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0236s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]