@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
UTC quote
Just returned from a secret ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway (which I refer to as the lazy person's Appalachian Trail). I am fortunate enough to live and work within 5 miles of the parkway but hardly ever get a chance to go for a ride. In fact, I bought the ET4 in August (1st scooter) and have not ridden the Parkway yet for a number of reasons, including too many damn tourists in the warmer months.

I took my baby to work today since they were predicting a high of 64. Well, it was 28 when I left home and I seriously doubt it got above the mid-50's. I got a wild hair after lunch and decided it was time to give the BRP a try.

It was well worth the effort. I work in Waynesville, NC so I started my trip by going through Maggie Valley, a small tacky tourist town. When I picked up the parkway it was closed in the direction I intended to go (probably because of ice at the highest elevations) so I ended up going south to Cherokee, NC (home of the eastern band of the Cherokee Indians). The entire time I was on the parkway I saw only 3 other cars, went through 5 tunnels and felt like I had the world to myself! The view is so beautiful when the leaves are off the trees! I got to practice a lot of cornering and go whatever speed I liked so as to enjoy the scenery.

Next, I went through the town on Cherokee, another tacky tourist town. Then I picked up highway 19 and 15 miles later I was back in my office. Total miles =50. Total time, 1.5 hrs. Did the boss even know? Hell no, and even if he did he would probably only be mad because I didn't invite him.

My only regret was not having others ride along with me! If any of you are ever my way let me know and we'll ride!
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
Nothing like a good playing hooky story. Just hope your boss doesn't surf the net too much!
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
Hi Seth, you were lucky with the scenery! I was in the States in 1984, and did the Blue Ridge parkway in a Chrysler Cutlass. Beautiful scenery all around, and I couldn't see any of it because of the mists! This was in late June - probably the wrong time of year.

Mike
OP
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
UTC quote
Hey Mike! Bet it's warmer there than it is here. I'm jealous! My sister lives in Canberra and the parents are over there visiting right now. Shout out to them for me!
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Seth sounds like a great ride! I hope to get up that way this year, for a scooter ride. We will have to hook up. I lived up in Ashville for about a year when I was in the food buisness, Beale.
OP
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
UTC quote
good deal, Beale! I'll look forward to it,
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I also got out in Wisconsin today. It got up to 52 degrees at lunch so I drove home and road my GT back to work. This is my first ride in a while.

It felt good to get back on for a while.

MGG
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Way to go, guys.

I'm in WI, too, MGG. Carzy weather today, eh? Family obligations kept from enjoying the warmth. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Re: Awesome Ride!!!
sethbcole wrote:
Just returned from a secret ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway (which I refer to as the lazy person's Appalachian Trail). I am fortunate enough to live and work within 5 miles of the parkway but hardly ever get a chance to go for a ride. In fact, I bought the ET4 in August (1st scooter) and have not ridden the Parkway yet for a number of reasons, including too many damn tourists in the warmer months.

I took my baby to work today since they were predicting a high of 64. Well, it was 28 when I left home and I seriously doubt it got above the mid-50's. I got a wild hair after lunch and decided it was time to give the BRP a try.

It was well worth the effort. I work in Waynesville, NC so I started my trip by going through Maggie Valley, a small tacky tourist town. When I picked up the parkway it was closed in the direction I intended to go (probably because of ice at the highest elevations) so I ended up going south to Cherokee, NC (home of the eastern band of the Cherokee Indians). The entire time I was on the parkway I saw only 3 other cars, went through 5 tunnels and felt like I had the world to myself! The view is so beautiful when the leaves are off the trees! I got to practice a lot of cornering and go whatever speed I liked so as to enjoy the scenery.

Next, I went through the town on Cherokee, another tacky tourist town. Then I picked up highway 19 and 15 miles later I was back in my office. Total miles =50. Total time, 1.5 hrs. Did the boss even know? Hell no, and even if he did he would probably only be mad because I didn't invite him.

My only regret was not having others ride along with me! If any of you are ever my way let me know and we'll ride!
Some of my best rides are the spontaneous, solo ones!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0284s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0040s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]