@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
UTC quote
Wahoo! Two red GTS 250s arrived yesterday here in Denver at the Vespa dealership. Gonna go test drive one tomorrow. A couple of us are waiting on the silver ones, though. But it will be fun to see how they compare to my GT 200.

The two red ones are not spoken for so if you're in Colorado and you want a red one, they are up for grabs!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Going for a ride on a GTS250 tomorrow!

Too bad there's no silver in yet or I'd be buying tomorrow, too.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Let us know what you guys think of the GTS with efi at your elevation! Thanks
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
oh yeah ... and if I was closer to you ... one of those reds would be mine!
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
Going for a ride on a GTS250 tomorrow!

Too bad there's no silver in yet or I'd be buying tomorrow, too.
.....I pick up my Silver one tomorrow or Saturday from Vespa Seattle ..........trying to gauge the rain a bit, either way I'll get wet and I don't care!
@gene avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300 Super/Burgman 650/BV500/ B&W250/BMW R60/CL77 Scrambler/YDS1 Big Bear/CB160/Hayabusa

Hooked
@gene avatar
GTS300 Super/Burgman 650/BV500/ B&W250/BMW R60/CL77 Scrambler/YDS1 Big Bear/CB160/Hayabusa
UTC quote
hmmm....GTS in Denver heh? :? Just bought my GT200 at Erico and love it. Will stay as far away from the GTS as possible (its a money thing). Probably want one.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
gene wrote:
hmmm....GTS in Denver heh? :? Just bought my GT200 at Erico and love it. Will stay as far away from the GTS as possible (its a money thing). Probably want one.
Maybe I'll do my demo ride down to Black Forest and back?

You will love your GT (I'm sure you already do) but the GTS is a great choice if you can swing the extra cash. I never thought I'd be looking at scooters in the $5000 range, much less $6000. Yikes! Get that scooter monkey off my back!
@gene avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gene avatar
UTC quote
Bzzz,

I would love to ride it but in an effort to continue to stay married it might not be a good move. Thanks for the offer and PLEASE give us your feedback as a current GT owner. I would be very curious. Have fun and be safe!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Nukie works near downtown Denver and is (I think) going for a GTS demo ride at noon which is about an hour from now. I myself am going at about 2:30. I can see Coors Field from my office window now so you can guess how close I am to the dealership. I'll post my impressions.

I can appreciate the need to keep scootering and domestic life in balance. It's sometimes hard to justify saying "we can't afford this" and "we can't afford that" and then going out and buying a $6000 toy.
OP
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@nukie avatar
UTC quote
I have to correct my first post. Erico Motosports/Vespa Denver has 4 red GTS 250 in stock. Test drove one today at lunch. OH MY GOD! The thing is amazingly fast. It has so much pickup and speed. You really notice the torque in the take off. I went from 0-40 in like 3 seconds flat. This thing flies

Like the new seat. The new fabric grabs your butt and keeps you in the seat. Not like the vinyl ones where you can slide around. The seat fabric has grip to it. Very nice.

Kind of hard to read the LCD readouts. That will take some getting use to. And the indicators lights are much darker than on the GT200.

Love the ambient air temperature gauge.

I can see that I will be driving this a lot over my GT200 when I get my silver one in. Can't wait!! Gonna keep the GT200 too.

(How many scooters do you need? Just one more.)

This baby should perform well in the mountains too. Can't wait to test drive it at a higher altitude. Even at our mile high altitude here in Denver, this thing rocks!
@gene avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gene avatar
UTC quote
Nukie,

Thanks for the report. IM TRYING TO CONTAIN MYSELF. Maybe Bzzz can chime in if he got his GTS ride today as well.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
gene wrote:
Nukie,

Thanks for the report. IM TRYING TO CONTAIN MYSELF. Maybe Bzzz can chime in if he got his GTS ride today as well.
Sure I can!

It's pretty sweet, definitely a more linear power feel and there's a difference in the suspension, I'm not sure what. It's a tad firmer than my GT, and I run the rears at position '2' so I think the difference may be in the front.

I agree that the LCDs are kinda lame. It took me a few glances to figure out which one I was looking at, fuel or temp. The switches are slightly different, as well, and I had to really push the turn signal left or right to get it to activate.

In any event, there's power (almost too much) to spare. It does not bog or pause on takeoff but rather darts away as soon as the clutch engages. And there's extra power on tap at higher speeds. I did not drive it hard at all, as it was a new bike and not yet broken in. But I DID open the throttle at 60 and i could feel acceleration. The GT loses some of that "pull" at anything over 50.

Can't wait for my color to come in!
@gene avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@gene avatar
UTC quote
Yikes! Your tormenting me with that additional power above 60 kinda talk! Rode my GT today and guess what I sort of notice (even without reading your comments) is up hills and maintaining speeds above 55 can be a bit challenging. HOWEVER it does depend on my weight, wind and direction, elevation and other things I cant think about now (like tire pressure).

Anyway thanks for your feedback (wonder if she would notice the white Vespa changes colors to red sometimes.....hmmm.....how comfortable is the garage floor to sleep on....oh well) Thanks again Bzzz...LETS GO RIDING!
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ABSOLUTELY!

In addition to scootering, I'm a mountain biker. In season, I ride almost daily and go on "big" rides at least twice a week. The best thing I ever did to improve my biking performance was to lose twenty pounds!

As far as hills, I think your GT will improve as it breaks in. Mine really "came together" at about 1500 to 2000 miles. Of course that's also about the time I lost 20 lbs, soooo... I dunno. Do what you can.

I wasn't expecting much performance difference from the GT to the GTS, given the published numbers. But the GTS was clearly quicker, both off the line and when accelerating from the 20-50 MPH range. It's torquier, for sure. Sounds different, too, a bit quieter. I have no doubt it'll be better in mountain riding than the GT. How much better remains to be seen.

I did notice the claimed "engine braking" feeling a couple of times. It gives a sort of wound-up-spring feeling, but it's mild.

One surprise: It kinda rumbles under you at stoplights. It's the only place where I felt the larger displacement. It kinda shakes deeply, more so than the GT. I like the feeling, like it's chomping at the bit.
UTC

GTS 250 i.e.

GTS 250 i.e.
UTC quote
Hey Buzz, I'm a mountain/road biker in Ohio and just bought a red GTS and really enjoy my 18 miles on it thus far. Man, does that thing get the looks! There aren't many scooters in my area.

Let me know if you ever fiqure out how to carry a mtn bike on the Vespa, that'll be my first summer project. If you get the latest Scoot! magazine, one of their featured scooters was a guy that installed a roof bike rack on the back of his scooter to carry his road bike. I might go that route as well, but have to think about it. Did you see that?

Greg
Bzzz wrote:
ABSOLUTELY!

In addition to scootering, I'm a mountain biker. In season, I ride almost daily and go on "big" rides at least twice a week. The best thing I ever did to improve my biking performance was to lose twenty pounds!

As far as hills, I think your GT will improve as it breaks in. Mine really "came together" at about 1500 to 2000 miles. Of course that's also about the time I lost 20 lbs, soooo... I dunno. Do what you can.

I wasn't expecting much performance difference from the GT to the GTS, given the published numbers. But the GTS was clearly quicker, both off the line and when accelerating from the 20-50 MPH range. It's torquier, for sure. Sounds different, too, a bit quieter. I have no doubt it'll be better in mountain riding than the GT. How much better remains to be seen.

I did notice the claimed "engine braking" feeling a couple of times. It gives a sort of wound-up-spring feeling, but it's mild.

One surprise: It kinda rumbles under you at stoplights. It's the only place where I felt the larger displacement. It kinda shakes deeply, more so than the GT. I like the feeling, like it's chomping at the bit.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
I might be crazy, but I notice this on my GT as well. I keep hearing people repeat the mantra over and over again that automatic scooters don't compression brake, but mine most certainly does. The clutch does eventually let go of the engine somewhere under 10 mph, though, and the moment it "releases" is really very obvious.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
It really all depends on how the clutch is set up. A number of scooters I've ridden have some compression braking. Not as much as a geared bike would, and you certainly can't force more compression breaking like you can by downshifting a manual transmission, but it's there.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Bzzz wrote:
I might be crazy, but I notice this on my GT as well. I keep hearing people repeat the mantra over and over again that automatic scooters don't compression brake, but mine most certainly does. The clutch does eventually let go of the engine somewhere under 10 mph, though, and the moment it "releases" is really very obvious.
I get that with my ET as well.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Ya, I get the EB (Engine Braking ) on the GT, too, noticeable at below 15 MPH just before clutch release. In fact you may have found, as I have, that dabbing the throtle while rolling to a red light under engine braking will trigger the the clutch to release. It "hangs on" to barely 5 MPH and I'd sometimes I'd rather be free wheeling.

The GTS has the EB a bit more than the GT. The first time I noticed on my demo ride was when I released the throttle at about 45 MPH for a yellow light about a half block away. I noticed because I ride in this area often and the GTS began decelerating immediately whereas on my GT the effect would have been milder in the same situation. I played with it a little on the way back to the shop and surmised that perhaps this "engine braking" will only be noticeable at higher speeds.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Thisplacerocks! wrote:
Let me know if you ever fiqure out how to carry a mtn bike on the Vespa, that'll be my first summer project. If you get the latest Scoot! magazine, one of their featured scooters was a guy that installed a roof bike rack on the back of his scooter to carry his road bike. I might go that route as well, but have to think about it. Did you see that?
I saw that bike-rack-on-a-Vespa in Scoot! a couple weeks ago. The issue is sitting on my coffee table. My primary fear of doing that would be looking totally dorky with that damn bike racked up behind you.

Besides, it might be hard to explain what the hell you were thinking of if there was an accident and the bike ended up embedded in your back.

I know, I know, I ride a Vespa. I ALREADY look dorky and take risks, but there's a limit. A Subaru station wagon works a little better for mountain biking and you can bring along friends and your riding gear, too!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
In fact you may have found, as I have, that dabbing the throtle while rolling to a red light under engine braking will trigger the the clutch to release. It "hangs on" to barely 5 MPH and I'd sometimes I'd rather be free wheeling.
Mine's the opposite -- on the rare occasions when I can get it to coast (such as creeping down a hill very slowly and then picking up speed via gravity) I can re-engage the "engine brake" by twitching the throttle. The clutch will then re-engage until I get below a certain speed again.

My clutch is always engaged at any speed above that 5-10mph threshold, and letting off the throttle will immediately drag the speed down as if I'd just released an anchor out of the back. In fact, this was even more pronounced after I got my clutch cleaned up when it started slipping.

Of course, my clutch is suspect to begin with, so I don't think I can represent my experience as typical. Just wanted to hear what other's experiences were.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Isn't the engine braking more prominant on the GTS due to fuel cut off being more imediate... a situation caused by the fuel injection (in GTS), as opposed to the a carburetor (in the GT).. the increased displacement may also be helping ?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Kev wrote:
Isn't the engine braking more prominant on the GTS due to fuel cut off being more imediate... a situation caused by the fuel injection (in GTS), as opposed to the a carburetor (in the GT).. the increased displacement may also be helping ?
The GT has engine braking, of course, as does almost any scooter. But the GTS definitely felt as if it had more.

I was having so much fun on my test ride, exploring the usually-crowded Denver streets on a quiet Saturday morning, that I'd forgotten about it. Then I let off the throttle on the GTS at about 45-50 MPH (72-80 kph) and felt more deceleration than my GT would have had. I thought "Oh, yeah, there's that engine braking they were talking about".

I'd say it's as described in the Piaggio material. The difference is subtle but you'll notice it in certain situations, especially so at higher speed. I can imagine it being a helpful on long, winding downhills.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
The fuel injection thing makes complete sense.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0396s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0091s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]