@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Best Christmas present has arrived-- My Joe Rocket waterproof textile gloves had been sent to Gerbing to be wired for heat, and they've here now--

I still need to connect the wiring harness to the battery (tomorrow). I was surprised how lightweight and flexible they are, not much different in feel than they were before-- except for the cord and plug that extend out of a grommet on the lining. Makes the JR gloves looks positively bionic.

Will post an update on how they work once they're connected.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Keep us updated! I especially would like to know how bad/good it is to be tethered. I've got ideas for wireless if the good folks over there are interested.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Yeah Deb! That's what I'm talkin' about.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Wireless power
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I've never felt tethered with mine, just warm. 8)
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
Wireless power
Sure! You've heard of Tesla right? But that's not my idea. Think Sonicare Toothbrush, PowerPad (r)... Yup inductive power chargers.

Handlebar will be one side of the coil, a pcb coil in the palms and fingers of the glove for the other side of the coil. Optional battery in the glove.

Patent Pending. Copyright.. Yada Yada

PDF:
http://tinyurl.com/d9m7x
OP
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
phr3d wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/d9m7x
phr3d-- very cool article! get busy-- scooter consumers are lining up 8)
OP
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Update: Warm hands!
Aaaah! A wet, cold day, with warm hands!---

The Gerbing wiring harness is in, and the temp controller-- & by jove, the gloves heat up, as advertised!

I'm still figuring out how to smoothly negotiate the thicket of cords linking controller & gloves--

The install went smoothly, thanks to the step by step instructions that Dutch Boy pm'd me a while back:

[O]n installing the heated gloves: this is much easier than heated grips, at least it was with my Gerbings, which come with a simple wiring harness, which has two wires at one end, a fuse in the middle, and a connector at the other end.
1. Lift your seat and take out the storage compartment
2. Remove your battery cover (there are two screws that hold it in place - one on each side)
3. Connect the red (power) wire to your positive battery terminal. You may want to route the wire in through one of the holes in the front of the battery compartment.
4. Connect the black (ground) wire to either your negative battery terminal or your frame. As with the other wire, you may want to route it into the battery compartment through one of the holes in the front.
5. Route the wires through the holes in the front of the battery compartment and along the edge of your engine compartment, under the seat (I ran it on the left side). Use a zip-tie or two so it won't droop onto the engine
6. Replace your battery cover and the screws that hold it in place
7. Route the connector end behind the snorkel assembly (the snorkel is the thing right behind your seat hinge that runs down along the left side of the engine compartment)
8. Route the connector end out under the front end of your seat
9. Put the storage compartment back in place. You may need to adjust the connector routing a bit to make sure the wire isn't getting pinched
10. Carefully close your seat, again making sure you're not pinching the wire

Now, you'll have the connector dangling out of the front of your seat and you can connect your gloves. There are two other parts to the system:
1. A harness with three connectors (one for each glove and one for the power). You put the harness inside your riding jacket.
2. (Optional, but recommended) A temperature switch or controller.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0266s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0014s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]