@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
We need to huddle up and talk about tire changes. The question is where are we going to change tires. I did it last time w/out swapping tires and it was probably the most foolish thing I ever did. I rolled into NOHO well into the chicken strips; not a prudent thing to do. As you know, it's not so easy for us to change tires as for the classic scooters. For one thing, we run tubeless tires which aren't so easy to just change in a parking lot. For another thing, not many of us have extra rims we can carry with tires already mounted on them (Do we? I sure don't!). So, how far into the Cannonball do we want to plan the tire swap?

This is going to require some planning, and I absolutely want to get it right, so please weigh in on this thread if you're going. Thanks!!!
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
John, I've considered doing the Cannonball. 7 days, got it. 400-450 miles a day, got it. But what was the total cost of the trip for you. Hotels? food? shipping your scoot, flying back home,etc. Just a ballpark figure please.
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
John, I've considered doing the Cannonball. 7 days, got it. 400-450 miles a day, got it. But what was the total cost of the trip for you. Hotels? food? shipping your scoot, flying back home,etc. Just a ballpark figure please.
NUMBER OF DAYS
First, figure on 10 days, 9 for the run and 1 total travel, at least.

COST
From my CBR2004 experience, I calculated my daily expenses and it came to about $72.50/day for gas & food & room & incidentals. There's the cost of the support vehicle. Currently, we're thinking about $200/scooter. If there's a profit, we'll return the extra. This may change, but let's use the worst case number here. Then, there are your travel expenses. Whatever it costs you to travel to Portland, Oregon and then home from New Jersey. Then, there's the cost of shipping your scooter to Portland and back home from New Jersey. If you go Forwad Air, as the classic scooter folks do, your expenses will be higher than theirs, because our GT scooters won't fit into the small crates like theirs. A few months ago, I figured it would cost me $909 to ship my scooter both ways so I used that number here.

Okay, so sit down in a chair and look at these numbers. This is my estimated budget for the 2006 Cannonball.

$72.50/day x 10 days = $725 daily expenses
$200 support vehicle = $200*
$600 air fare = $600 air fare
$909 Forward Air = $909 Forward Air
------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL = $2434 total

*See note in text above about support vehicle cost.

That's the very best estimate I can give you based on my 2004 Cannonball experience. Your mileage may vary significantly, but this is a pretty good estimate.
⚠️ Last edited by jrsjr on UTC; edited 2 times
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
UTC quote
The tire thing has me thinking also.

I would say the front rubber is going to make it, no problems but for flats/blowouts.

So for the rear(which is really what we are talking about anyway).

1) There is the 'start with new rubber and hope the rear makes it all the way' school of thought.

2)Then there is the change the rear 1/2 way thru(or there abouts).

3?) I have been looking around for a "third' way, really just a variation of the first. My thinking is find a normally unacceptable tire like the 'chen feing' (sp) that has a hard compound. These tires are rotten for daily city type use because they do not perform well due to not alot of grip, the shits for short trips around town. You rarely heat the tires up enough to get any grip.

BUT* these tires will grip 'okay' when hot, almost all rubber will, and this will be the condition these tires will be run under. Ever felt the temp of your rear tire after 20 miles on the freeway? They are roasting hot.

So what I am looking for is a rear tire that will wear like iron.

I could be right, i could be wrong. Opinions?
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
That's quite a tally . Of course if you win the run, the $25,000 cash prize would offset that.

How much of the daily incidentals was beer. Maybe I can knock off say $25 a day if I don't drink every nite. Naw, what's the point then.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Tire longevity and tire performance are on opposite ends of a wide, diverging, spectrum glasseye, but you already know that. You could mount a set of tires on spare rims, and have them drop-shipped along your route. That would probably be your safest, fastest, and most dependable, option.
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
JerryG wrote:
How much of the daily incidentals was beer. Maybe I can knock off say $25 a day if I don't drink every nite. Naw, what's the point then.
I'm diabetic so my daily alcohol expenese were $0.00... Honestly, I didn't notice a lot of hard partying on the CBR. The thing is, you have to get up early the next morning and ride, or we'll leave you behind. And throwing up in your helmet is not fun.

Addendum - Added Later: I apologize if the tone of this post sounds a little harsh, but, if you get drunk and don't make the start, we really will leave you behind, and throwing up in a helmet really does suck. I'm certainly not against having a drink.
⚠️ Last edited by jrsjr on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
The tire thing has me thinking also.

I would say the front rubber is going to make it, no problems but for flats/blowouts.

So for the rear(which is really what we are talking about anyway).

1) There is the 'start with new rubber and hope the rear makes it all the way' school of thought.

2)Then there is the change the rear 1/2 way thru(or there abouts).

My rear rubber had 65 miles on it when CBR2004 started and I was only lucky to make to without having a blowout. That was the OEM tire, which I'm told lasts as long as any and longer than some. In my mind, changing rear rubber is not optional this time. That's why I'm scheduling a stop. It's just a matter of working out the logistics. Where do we do it and when do we do it?
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
3) I have been looking around for a "third' way, really just a variation of the first. My thinking is find a normally unacceptable tire like the 'chen feing' (sp) that has a hard compound. These tires are rotten for daily city type use because they do not perform well due to not alot of grip, the shits for short trips around town. You rarely heat the tires up enough to get any grip.

BUT* these tires will grip 'okay' when hot, almost all rubber will, and this will be the condition these tires will be run under. Ever felt the temp of your rear tire after 20 miles on the freeway? They are roasting hot.

So what I am looking for is a rear tire that will wear like iron.

I could be right, i could be wrong. Opinions?
Glassee, I cut Item 3 out of your post so I could address it separately. Because I have positively decided that I am going to change tires, I've been thinking about a strategy like this. 1) Start with "sticky" tires intended to save my bacon on the mountain roads we are going to face for the first 4 days. 2) Haul ass for two days on the remains of those tires on the straights. 3) Change to a harder tire (or another sticky) at about day 6.

What do you think?
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
subscribed
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
UTC quote
Your plan sounds like a good one, tempered with experience.

I was just thinking out loud about the other possibilities. I would most likely go with your 2 tire plan, but I do think one hard compound tire COULD do a totally great/safe job. I need to find someone who knows alot about tires, I suffer ignorance about rubber compounds.

Gotta love that tasty sticky fresh rubber, just like new tennis shoes....make you wanna runfast!!!

OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
... but I do think one hard compound tire COULD do a totally great/safe job.
I wish that were true, too. NapaCoach and Mesmer, what do you all think?
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
I had cheng shin tires on my Vino 125 and they did wear like iron, and I never felt like they had less grip than I needed. 6000+ miles was common for vino rear tires. I don't know how they would hold up to the weight of the heavier GT though. Do they even make cheng shin for the sizes of the GT?
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Mesmer wrote:
I don't know how they would hold up to the weight of the heavier GT though. Do they even make cheng shin for the sizes of the GT?
I don't know but the higher power & greater weight of the GT have famously killed the OEM tires at less than 2000 miles. I'm not kidding about my rear tire being trashed upon arrival in NOHO last time (at about 3400 miles on the tires) and it was brand spanking new when I left on the Cannonball. Did you ever see the thread on the old BBS about the guy whose tire popped - with the photos of his freshly-wrecked GT200? I'm thinking it might be smart not to chance it if we don't absolutely, positively have to.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Did you ever see the thread on the old BBS about the guy whose tire popped - with the photos of his freshly-wrecked GT200? I'm thinking it might be smart not to chance it if we don't absolutely, positively have to.
My buddy Josh blew out his rear tire with right around 3000 miles on it. I have no desire to even chance that.

That said I still wonder if there is a rear tire that could make the trip safely.

R
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
That said I still wonder if there is a rear tire that could make the trip safely.
"Safely" is the operant word there. And, no, I don't think there is such a tire. It's not that big a deal anyway. We just plan a stop to make a tire swap and be on our way. Tires aren't expensive, and once we swap out, we can carry the used tires as spares. That way nobody will ever have to run on a patched tire, like Ron did when he borrowed Bobo's GT last time. The patch didn't last one day and it blew at high speed on a wet road in heavy traffic on I-40 (shudder). Remember, this is a tour, not suicide by scooter...
@munny avatar
UTC

Hooked
P200, 150 super, ET4 190

Hooked
@munny avatar
P200, 150 super, ET4 190
UTC quote
Im still considering doing the run, but would you really ship your scoot from Jersey when you live onthe east coast. whats another day day and a half of riding.
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
[quote="glasseye"]
Quote:
My buddy Josh blew out his rear tire with right around 3000 miles on it. I have no desire to even chance that.

R
Yeah, I saw his tire and bike just after it happened. He had come up to Napa for our Head to the Hills rally. So we all got to see the reason not to run on bald tires.
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Munny wrote:
Im still considering doing the run, but would you really ship your scoot from Jersey when you live onthe east coast. whats another day day and a half of riding.
Hey Munny,

You're right, of course, I was just presenting the worst-case scenario for folks to chew on.

Munny, what do you think about the tire pit-stop scenario?
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
10 days?????????????????

We did NYC to Denver, NO HIGHWAYS, 1986 miles...6 days.
That was taking it easy, taking pics at every state line and 40 foot fiberglass animal we saw!

The line-up was:
ME: 1985 Vespa T5 Malossi 172, PM Pipe, 30mm Del'lorto
Sam:2000 Italjet Dragster 180
David:1965 Lambretta TV 200
Tim: 2001 Vespa ET4

All bikes bone stock except for mine.

Problems:
ME: Stripped rear hub, bad CDI, Bad pick-up coil
Sam: none
David: 3 broken cables, dirty pilot jet
Tim: Rear tire wore out, replaced in ST. Joseph, MO

I built everyone else's bike and just jumped on mine and went. My license plate was from my Allstate, too!!!

-larry
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
if you're running a GT on CBR i'd check out the new sava's on the GTS.
i'm not sure on wear just yet, but i'd be they're probably a little better than the pirelli stockers. also the michlin pilot city are coming back with good mileage reports.

anyway, a parking lot tire change shouldn't be any biggie.
especially if you have a ride along mechanic. *hint* *hint*

if you're rolling an ET, definetly get the zippy 1's.

best,
-greasy
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

Dude, at this point, we're prepared to offer an incentive program. ;-}
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
jrsjr wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

i'm dead serious.
if i can get my airfare back from the east coast covered and split hotel rooms thru the duration i'd be a happy man.

oh yeah, i'll bring my tools too.

best,
-greasy
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
greasy125 wrote:

i'm dead serious.
if i can get my airfare back from the east coast covered and split hotel rooms thru the duration i'd be a happy man.

oh yeah, i'll bring my tools too.

best,
-greasy
Dude,

I'll skip buying the performance exhaust for my GT and use that money to cover the price of a SouthWest Air ticket if somebody'll split a hotel room with you. I've already got a roomie, but somebody else ought to be looking around for a roomie. Anybody?!?
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
UTC quote
I am going, and I have no rommie yet.

Things are not yet settled here as far as the group going from the Bay Area. They will be settled by at least Vegas. We may already have a mech going, the old German says he is making the run, and I hope he does.

I will let you know about the roomie thing by Vegas.

You going to Vegas Greasy?

R
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
I'll skip buying the performance exhaust for my GT and use that money to cover the price of a SouthWest Air ticket if somebody'll split a hotel room with you. I've already got a roomie, but somebody else ought to be looking around for a roomie. Anybody?!?
we'll be talking sir.

best,
-greasy
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
I am going, and I have no rommie yet.

Things are not yet settled here as far as the group going from the Bay Area. They will be settled by at least Vegas. We may already have a mech going, the old German says he is making the run, and I hope he does.

I will let you know about the roomie thing by Vegas.

You going to Vegas Greasy?

R
i don't do vegas, but keep me in the loop.
i'll swing wrenches on anybody's rig that wants the help; new or old. vintage or modern.
anybody that needs "consultation" in terms of bike prep or spare parts, tire recommendations, et al-- i'm more than happy to help.

best,
-greasy
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
also the michlin pilot city are coming back with good mileage reports. -greasy
greasy,

We're getting 4000+ miles out of Michlin Pilot Citys on the rear of our GTs...
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
wetspeed wrote:
what about pilot sports?
OP
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Mesmer wrote:
wetspeed wrote:
what about pilot sports?
What he said. Inquiring minds want to know! I've actually been thinking Pilot Sports for the first 1/2 (mountain legs) and Pilot City for the second 1/2 (long legs). While we're at it, we could get really devious and change to one-step heavier variator weights at the stop so we get a bit more top speed on the straights... That way we could run torquier lighter weights in the mountains and horsepowerier heavier weights in the flatlands.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1194s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0814s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]