OP
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
So my Piaggio dealer rings me today to give me the good news that my fork leg can be replaced under warranty because it's gone rusty but also informs me that my fuel pump is going to be replaced as an upgrade.
He didnt use the word recall he said upgrade.
I know I heard him.
Light and Tunnel ?

Bill X
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift
UTC quote
That does sound like good news. I wonder how many people have paid to have theirs done in the mean time.
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250

Hooked
GTS 250
UTC quote
Rusty fork leg? That should not happen for decades! Never heard of that! Is it common? Are there preventative measures?
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
If the recall er.. upgrade does happen should I get it even though I've had over 7k trouble free miles? Will they let me keep my original as a backup in case the replacement fails?
OP
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Oxidation
Well it's the first rusty one I've seen on a GTS that's less than 2 years old.
It's gone all manky right at the bottom where the wheel mounts. It's the only part that's exposed to the elements but because it's all one unit the whole lots is being replaced - Thank God.

I have to say my dealer was very helpful in putting the claim through.

Bill X
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Bill Dog: I am confused. What did he mean by upgrade. Does that mean that you will have to pay for the fuel pump?
OP
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Sausepan around the head.
Car and motorcycle dealers hate to use the word recall because it suggests that there is something wrong with the manufacturers product so they use euphemisms like upgrades and campaigns to repair or replace parts which may have issues with build quality or reliability.

He used the term upgrade ( with regard to the fuel pump ) and as it's been approved as a part that's being replaced under warranty I won't be paying for it.

Bill X
⚠️ Last edited by Bill Dog on UTC; edited 1 time
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Re: Sausepan around the head.
Bill Dog wrote:
Car and motorcycle dealers hate to use the word recall because it suggests that there is something wrong with the manufacturers product so they use euphemisms like upgrades and campaigns to repair or replace parts which may have issues with build quality or reliability.

He used the term upgrade and as it's been approved as a part that's being replaced under warranty I won't be paying for it.

Bill X
Lucky for you. Cheers!
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
cmmrda43 wrote:
Rusty fork leg? That should not happen for decades! Never heard of that! Is it common? Are there preventative measures?
Makes you wonder where he has been putting his fork leg.

I'm just sayin'...
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
If the recall er.. upgrade does happen should I get it even though I've had over 7k trouble free miles? Will they let me keep my original as a backup in case the replacement fails?
Fuel pump recall on my Scarabeo didn't hit until 8,000. The guy I bought it from said the recall had been performed so I was surprised at the failure an more so when the dealer said the replacement had not been done.
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
UTC quote
I wonder if the recall will occur in Canada as well? Any idea what model years are affected?
OP
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
fish in brine
Well mine is an 2009 GTS250ie but reg'd on April 2010 with 5500 miles on the clock.

The odd thing is at no point did I mention any issues regarding the fuel pump.
The replacement was offered as an upgrade. Of course I accepted.
@benito avatar
UTC

@benito avatar
UTC quote
I don't blame you for accepting especially if there was no cost involved.
@desmolicious avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@desmolicious avatar
UTC quote
"Rusty fork leg"
Bill Dog wrote:
so they use euphemisms like upgrades and campaigns X
I thought that was a euphemism..
@caroanbill avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300HPE PX150 BMW1200R

Addicted
@caroanbill avatar
GTS300HPE PX150 BMW1200R
UTC quote
Re: "Rusty fork leg"
Desmolicious wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
so they use euphemisms like upgrades and campaigns X
I thought that ("rusty fork leg") was a euphemism..
And I thought "Bill Dog" would be a clue .. not that a Vespa fork looks a lot like a hydrant or a pole .. but maybe to a Boston Terrier ..

ROFL emoticon

OK I'll take my pills now
OP
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Rat-a-tat boom
Ha ! That's probably what did it. I must stop myself form trying to mark my territory.

We all know that Piaggio have had many failures with the fuel pumps on GTS's but it was a pleasant suprise to be offered a replacement pump by my dealer.

Maybe they have finally decided to put thier hands up and resolve the issue ?

Bill X
@vezpa avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X

Banned
@vezpa avatar
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
UTC quote
I know many people have had fuel pump issues and failures but if my pump was functioning properly I would leave it alone for now. If it isn't broke don't fix it. If it happens again you will just have to let it cool down for a bit and then drop it off at the same dealer.
OP
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Wire spoke wheels
I'd rather it was fixed rather than wait for it to fail.

Bill X
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@flordian avatar
UTC

Rocket Man
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)

Rocket Man
@flordian avatar
GTS 300 ABS 'Drake', GTS 250 (sold), LX 150 and Delta IV rocket. ( Retired. Not my problem anymore)
UTC quote
Fuel pump quickly changed by dealer
Yeah, my '09 GTS would leave me stranded in the heat of a local strip club down here in Florida. Ran great but would not start when engine was still hot. Had to go back inside club until engine cooled. No problem starting when cold....Finally took to dealer and they exchanged pump. Works great, but no more excuses to wife why I'm late getting home.
@cricket avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 midnight blue, GTS 250 dragon red

Addicted
@cricket avatar
GTS 300 midnight blue, GTS 250 dragon red
UTC quote
My dealer said outright that he's replacing my fuel pump due to recall. I have a GTS 300. It runs for a few hours then won't start after a short break. After a half hour I'm good to go again.

Last time it happened I was returning from Yosemite and in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately I didn't panic, since it's happened before.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie, 2007

Enthusiast
GTS 250ie, 2007
UTC quote
Talked to my dealer ( Il Motorino) Sat. He says recall involves 2008-2010 models. Great for me since my GTS is a 2007. This will be interesting for the used scoot market.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
SB wrote:
Talked to my dealer ( Il Motorino) Sat. He says recall involves 2008-2010 models. Great for me since my GTS is a 2007. This will be interesting for the used scoot market.
The fuel pump issue affected my 2007 Scaraveo 500ie so I wouldn't count on just 2008-2010,
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Max6200 wrote:
Lucky for you. Cheers!
Contact your dealer. Everything I've seen says all the '09s are covered.
Benito wrote:
Any idea what model years are affected?
This is what SDG posted in a previous fuel pump thread -

In the USA it is also on...
A select range of:
2009-2010 BV 250-300 Tourer models
2008-2010 GTS 250/ 250 Super and GTV 250 models
2010-2011 GTS 300/ 300 Super and GTV 300 models
2011 LX & LXV 150 i.e. models
2011 Vespa S 150 i.e. models
2009-2010 MP3 250 models
@dkw12002 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 Vespa GTV300 with ABS, 2015 GSX-r600, 2015 CB300F

Hooked
@dkw12002 avatar
UTC quote
I stopped by my Vespa Dealer today, AF1 racing in New Braunfels, TX to look over the new scooters. These folks are very knowledgeable about scooters. The owners ride scooters, service them, race, build motorcycles, etc. Anyway he checked my vin no and said it fell between 2 lists of problem fuel pumps vin no. It was 104 in Texas today. I leave the dealership, am 3 min. away and my 2010 Vespa 300ie with 300 miles on it loses power, then dies. The owner showed up in 5 min. loaded the scooter on his truck, dropped me off at home and called this eve. to say...you guessed it...faulty fuel pump. Once the scooter cooled off, it restarted he said, just like others have reported. I noticed when it would not start that there was no fuel pump priming sound like there should be when you first turn the key on as others have also noted. Now this morning the fuel pump sounded strong though. In other words there was no warning. AF1 has the good pumps and will replace mine tomorrow and drop it off. I feel extemely lucky to have a good dealership, even more fortunate to have the problem so close to home and at the same time am starting to think this fuel pump problem is a pretty big deal for Piaggio.
UTC

Lurker
GTV 250 ie

Lurker
GTV 250 ie
UTC quote
Bad Fuel Pump.............quick fix in emergency.....
Tonight it happened for the fourth time. Would not start after a 30 minute ride on a warm summer night. At least this time Debbie was not with me so I did not have to hear her chew me out because it's not fixed yet.

Anyway, here's what I did. I took a big spray bottle with ice water with me in the pet carrier. When the little beeatch (2010 250 GTV ie) would not start I started spraying the fuel tank and after about 10 minutes of constant spraying it had cooled enough to allow the impeller to spin in turn allowing me to get home. I'm using it tomorrow to get me to the trail head of Mt. Cardigan about 100 miles away and will be taking plenty of water. Give it a try and let me know if this helps anyone else. Remember, the fuel tank is the plastic container on the right side of the engine looking forward. Just keep spraying..........[/u][/b]
@dkw12002 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@dkw12002 avatar
UTC quote
I don't understand Fred. Did they replace the fuel pump and it still does not work? This is good info about the ice water, but if your scooter stops on the road like mine did it could be a safety issue. I would have to get it fixed or get another scooter. The wife yelling at you though, this I understand.
UTC

Lurker
GTV 250 ie

Lurker
GTV 250 ie
UTC quote
Bad Fuel Pump
The water trick is used on tank holding the original crappy Chinese within it's cheap plastic walls. My dealer said they would call me when they the new pumps arrive and will replace it w/o any cost to me. I thought about everyone saying how they waited for the scooter to cool down for about an hour. I said I will just help that process along some, cutting the wait time by 50 minutes, not to mention the embarassment of sitting in a busy parking lot with the seat up and the pet carrier on the ground. It's a little trick and it worked for me. Let me know..... In the mean time, I am not afraid to take it out now but will feel much better when the German fuel pump is installed.......
@treppenwitz avatar
UTC

saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie

saggezza di scala
@treppenwitz avatar
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Re: Fuel pump quickly changed by dealer
flordian wrote:
Yeah, my '09 GTS would leave me stranded in the heat of a local strip club down here in Florida. Ran great but would not start when engine was still hot. Had to go back inside club until engine cooled. No problem starting when cold....Finally took to dealer and they exchanged pump. Works great, but no more excuses to wife why I'm late getting home.
I'm floored that you lot let this comment pass without so much as a raised eyebrow!

Everyone must be out scooting!

@dkw12002 avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@dkw12002 avatar
UTC quote
Maybe there's an important moral here: How about, a properly functioning fuel pump can turn your life around? Remember too, "you meet the nicest people on a Vespa." More cynically, one could reason if it only takes the fuel pump half an hour to cool down on its own, he probably wasn't in the club very long anyway. Perhaps too he took a second job as an accountant at the club and is saving up for a nice surprise anniversary gift for his wife.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0232s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0161s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]