OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

Hi all

Has anyone found an inexpensive way to do this on a scooter that doesn't already have one built in.

I'd like to see what RPM the engine is hitting to enable me to get a better understanding of how its running.

I've seen the Tiny-Tach set up and I think it runs out at £60ish (circa 100USD) and I was wondering if anyone had found a cheaper way of measuring their RPM.

A rev counter off another bike perhaps wired up in some sort of way? or perhaps a home built digital jobby like this??? http://www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/k2625-digital-tachometer-kit.htm

Fabio

@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Fabio,

Stick with analogue although my rationale is a bit off as it is, pardon the pun, geared towards a bike with a gearbox.

I once bought a fancy digital dash for a Honda Wave I had modified. First time I took it out I gunned the bike in second gear and the thing was a blur. Difficult to describe in words but it went 5555, 7777, 9999 and
then _ _ _ _. It never worked again.

If you are not in a hurry I could find you a simple 50mm electronic analogue tach which you could fix to the leg shield. It wouldn't be Vespa specific. It is a question of me getting on the SkyTrain and going to the right area of town.

Do you have an upper limit? I'm thinking they should be around $40 and I would have to post it so ad $20.

Not promising but I will look if you are interested.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

Hi Waspy

Sounds good....how would the connection be made to measure the engine's revs though????

Fabio

@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Fabio,

From memory apart from the 12v and ground etc. a single wire wrapped around the ignition lead to the spark plug.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

I've just found this on the net.....

CAR TACHOMETER using a 555
A 555 is configured as a monostable or one shot in this project. The period of the 555 is determined by the 47k and the capacitor from pin 6 to ground (100n). Time "T" = 1.1 RC or 1.1 X 50,000 X 0.1 X10 -6 = 0.0055 or 5.5 mS (milli-seconds).
The 555 receives trigger pulses from the distributor points. These are limited by the 1k and 5v zener diode. These are AC coupled to the trigger input through the 100n coupling capacitor. The 50mA meter receives pulses of current through the 200k pot to show a reading.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Integration of the current pulses produces a visible indication of the cars engine speed on the 0-1mA meter.
Supply is taken from the cars 12v system and for the 555 it is reduced to a regulated 9v by the 15 ohm resistor in conjunction with the 9v zener diode. Note: the 10u electrolytic must be placed physically as close as possible to supply pin 8.

I wonder if I can use this coupled with a cheap meter somehow?

Fabio

@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Does your scoot still have points? That is the 12v side of the circuit.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I used a very similar circuit on my outboard motors many moons ago - worked a treat. I'm sure there's somewhere suitable to derive the trigger pulses.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

I'm wondering whether connecting to the coil connections would do it?

Fabio

@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Probably - you might need to increase the input resistor to 10k or 100k. Best determined by hanging a 'scope on there and seeing the size, shape and polarity of those pulses.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Probably - you might need to increase the input resistor to 10k or 100k. Best determined by hanging a 'scope on there and seeing the size, shape and polarity of those pulses.

On my scooters (ET,GT,PK) there is no rev-counter, but I'm guessing that on a GTS there is maybe??

Do you know where the rpm metering connection is on the GTS....I'm assuming that its from the ECU...... unfortunately???

Fabio

@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
There's a bar-graph on the GTS250 - presumably from some sort of feed from the ECU. Maybe CANBUS, who knows...
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Or Fieldbus Razz emoticon There you go Jim another one to look up.
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
I have a tinytach on my yamaha dragstar , I have also tried it on my fly 125 and it works very well , Just 2 wires one to ground & the other wraps around the spark plug lead 3-4 times .
I brought it last year from ebay for about £25 but I see there about £55 now

There is this one on ebay for a bit cheaper - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trail-Tech-TTO-Tach-Hour-Meter-All-Petrol-Engines-/250662490399?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a5ca6111f

I liked the fact the tinitach was easy to fit & can be fitted to any other bike/scooter if you want
UTC

1997 ET2 Injection

1997 ET2 Injection
UTC quote
Tiny Tach
Another souce for the TinyTach's is any small engine dealer that carries briggs and stratton parts. I don't recall the part number, but any dealer will know what your talking about. They are widely used in the small engine industry to set governor speeds on small engines. I work at briggs and we put one on every single test engine. The batteries are good for 4-5 years, and they also have an hour meter. The Briggs version might be a little cheaper, but the batteries arn't really replaceable. My injected ET2 ' is fitted with one right above the speedometer
@rwong709 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GT200

Addicted
@rwong709 avatar
2007 Vespa GT200
UTC quote
Not wanting this to be taken in a negative way...but why is it important to have a tach on essentially an automatic, CVT "shiftless" scooter?

I suppose that maybe you would be able to tell stories how you "banged" the rev limiter while evading pesky racers dogging your heels, but personallly, I would spend my money getting more smiles per mile...elsewhere, like getting durable belt and routine maintenance and such, or at most, experimenting with rollers and Malossi performance ...JMHO.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
rwong709 wrote:
I would spend my money getting more smiles per mile...elsewhere, like getting durable belt and routine maintenance and such, or at most, experimenting with rollers and Malossi performance ...JMHO.
How would you know what difference changing rollers makes without knowing what RPM you are turning during acceleration. If you change cams etc then all the published specs go out the window but for a basically standard scoot max torque RPM is published so tune to keep motor at that RPM until variator reaches "top gear" and road speed catches up with variator. After that it is it is just motor grunt. Much easier with a tach.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
rwong709 wrote:
I would spend my money getting more smiles per mile...elsewhere, like getting durable belt and routine maintenance and such, or at most, experimenting with rollers and Malossi performance ...JMHO.
How would you know what difference changing rollers makes without knowing what RPM you are turning during acceleration. If you change cams etc then all the published specs go out the window but for a basically standard scoot max torque RPM is published so tune to keep motor at that RPM until variator reaches "top gear" and road speed catches up with variator. After that it is it is just motor grunt. Much easier with a tach.

wasp.... yes that's what I'm wanting to do... to see what revs I'm hitting compared to published, and try to tell where the power band is a bit more scientifically.

Interestingly enough, I've found one on ebay for £12 (about 19USD) to mess about with.

Fabio

@baggers avatar
UTC

vespa gts300

@baggers avatar
vespa gts300
UTC quote
I can't see the point of having a rev-counter on a auto scooter well you don't change gear so you wont use the whole of the rev range
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
baggers wrote:
I can't see the point of having a rev-counter on a auto scooter well you don't change gear so you wont use the whole of the rev range

Hi Baggers

If you're tuning the CVT/Carb/Engine to run at its most optimum (as I'm in the process of doing) you need to get the scooter running at its maximum power output throughout the speed range.

This means that you have to best identify the power band/s that gives the most power/torque.

To do this I'm planning to identify the rev range that produces that maximum power and then get the CVT set up to remain within that power band.

Also at top end I'd like to see what effect that lighter or heavier weights are having on the rpm/gearing in some sort of way and I'm hoping that a tach will give me some indication to this.

That's my theory at least...it may not be right though.

Fabio

@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Fabio,

Make sure the Ebay one measures RPM and not HOURS. There are some misleading ads on Ebay.
Oh and as I am an Instrument maker by trade the larger the sweep angle the better the accuracy. 270 deg is a good one 180 not so good.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Fabio,

Make sure the Ebay one measures RPM and not HOURS. There are some misleading ads on Ebay.
Oh and as I am an Instrument maker by trade the larger the sweep angle the better the accuracy. 270 deg is a good one 180 not so good.

Yes it does - its only a cheap one - if my theory is correct and it does what I'm hoping, i'll probably come back to you for a more expensive and accurate one!!

Fabio

@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Fabio,

The ones I will have access to will be similar to this

Maybe not 13,000 and maybe with the 270 deg vertical

I will simply go to a local Thai accessory shop.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
Fabio Dougie wrote:
baggers wrote:

Hi Baggers

If you're tuning the CVT/Carb/Engine to run at its most optimum (as I'm in the process of doing) you need to get the scooter running at its maximum power output throughout the speed range.

This means that you have to best identify the power band/s that gives the most power/torque.

To do this I'm planning to identify the rev range that produces that maximum power and then get the CVT set up to remain within that power band.

Also at top end I'd like to see what effect that lighter or heavier weights are having on the rpm/gearing in some sort of way and I'm hoping that a tach will give me some indication to this.

That's my theory at least...it may not be right though.

Fabio

Yep, that's what it is good for (along with setting the idle and idle mixture), and I temporarily mount a TinyTach when I'm doing that. I remove mine, though, as soon as the task is accomplished. Don't see any need for it in everyday riding with a CVT.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
I've used Honda equipment tachs with success. You just employ it when you need it, and then let it sit in your tool box.

From Poor man tach
michael_h wrote:
After trying for months to locate an affordable shop tach, I decided to try a different route. Smorris has a nice write up about using a tinytach in the Technical section. I didn't want to wire mine in permanently, and located an inductive hour/tach from my local Honda power equipment shop. I ended up with the Hardline HR-8061 model which runs off of a single line wrapped around the spark plug wire. It cost me about $40, but I have seen them less expensive on US websites.

What I liked about it is that you do not need to hard wire it in. The 22g wire can be inserted into the unit, and then removed when you no longer are using it. This was important, since I understood these hour/tach meters do not really stand up well inside the engine compartment. I've left the wire attached to the spark plug wire, and just tied it off to the side of the engine compartment for when I want to use the tach.

It is slow, and refreshes in 10 second increments. So you have to be patient when setting your idle.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
The inductive pick-up from an old timing light would probably work as a trigger.

No wiring into the ECU necessary, simply clamp to the the spark plug lead.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
baggers wrote:
Still nice to have a tach, to see what the engine is doing.

Kymco, Sym and Yamaha scoots all have tachs on most of their models.
Too bad Piaggio/Vespa doesn't go that route on all their scoots.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

It's arrived....

...and here it is fitted!!

Fabio

@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BH2VA

The instructions say:

1: PPR Adjust (number of tach pulses per crankshaft revolution.)
After the first button press, the PPR setting display appears. Press the button to scroll through (default 1.0, 2.0, or 0.5.)

Which setting is correct for my LX150?
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

Im assuming it means how many spark plug fires does it take to revolve the crank once??

Go for the 1.0

You will know if its working properly if you watch the readout throughout the rev range as I did in my video.

Idle (after the autochoke has turned off) should be in the vicinity of 1500rpm and highest revs I'm guessing should be about 9750ish, but someone on MV will know better than me on this for a LX150.

If it doesn't read in this sort of range then select the next setting and so on.... until you get it to read correctly.

Fabio

@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
I haven't had time to try it, yet. But I'm thinking 0.5. Doesn't a 4 stroke crankshaft rotate twice per spark ignition? Intake, compression, power, exhaust.
I'm sure someone will come along here and straighten me out.
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
danny*h wrote:
I haven't had time to try it, yet. But I'm thinking 0.5. Doesn't a 4 stroke crankshaft rotate twice per spark ignition? Intake, compression, power, exhaust.

Yes very possibly...

The one I bought worked straight out of the box... I didn't have to set it up in a 2stroke or 4 stroke way!!??!!

I think a bit of trial and error is needed with a lot of these type of things to get them working correctly

Fabio

@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
UTC quote
danny*h wrote:
I'm sure someone will come along here and straighten me out. :D
Even though the LX is a 4 stroke, it sparks on every revolution. Same with the GT200. The pickup is on the crank and has no idea what stoke the engine is on, so in this case set it to 1.

For the GTS 250-300 they do a clever thing with the fuel injection at startup to figure out what stroke is compression vs exhaust and with that info it only sparks on compression. So in this case set it to .5.
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
danny*h wrote:
Even though the LX is a 4 stroke, it sparks on every revolution. Same with the GT200. The pickup is on the crank and has no idea what stoke the engine is on, so in this case set it to 1.

For the GTS 250-300 they do a clever thing with the fuel injection at startup to figure out what stroke is compression vs exhaust and with that info it only sparks on compression. So in this case set it to .5.
Thanks
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
danny*h wrote:

Ah-Haaaaa!

That explains it!!

Fabio

@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GT200L Alabaster 2004 "Lady"
Location: Ishioka, Ibaragi Pref., Japan and Khun Han, Isaan, Thailand

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
Tachometer link
Fabio Dougie wrote:

It's arrived....

...and here it is fitted!!

Fabio

Fabio,

Can you post a link to this tachometer ?

Thanks
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hour-meter-motorcycle-atv-quad-snowmobile-dirt-pit-bike-/180591796471?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0c1c20f7#ht_2353wt_905

This is the seller - just check that you get one that's suitable for your scoot... because the revs count each time the spark fires which I found out only recently (see thread above - entry by oopsclunkthud) is 1 rev count for 1 fire for my GT125 - assuming its the same for your 200.

@jackr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackr avatar
UTC quote
Fabio Dougie wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hour-meter-motorcycle-atv-quad-snowmobile-dirt-pit-bike-/180591796471?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0c1c20f7#ht_2353wt_905

This is the seller - just check that you get one that's suitable for your scoot... because the revs count each time the spark fires which I found out only recently (see thread above - entry by oopsclunkthud) is 1 rev count for 1 fire for my GT125 - assuming its the same for your 200.

Thanks Fabio good karma coming your way this evening from Tokyo
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@cosmos avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super

Addicted
@cosmos avatar
2009 LX 150, 2024 GTS Super
UTC quote
adding a rev counter
I did the same. Ordered a digital tachometer and installed it on my LX 150 in an empty mounting hole under the seat using a clip nut from the auto parts store. Mostly I wanted a tachometer to set the idle speed. I figured locating it in the upper engine bay would be OK. It gets hot in there but the other Vespa electronics survive. I decided that setting the idle RPM based on the rear wheel "just barely rotating" as noted in the owners manual was not quite good enough. The scooter vibrates and shudders at long traffic lights. So I chose to set the idle to the factory specification instead. The rear wheel rotates slightly now on the center stand but the idle is smooooth. Installing the tach was really easy, just wrap the sensor wire around the spark plug 4 times. I secured the ends with heat shrink tubing. The only questionable thing is the tachometer battery isn't replacable but thats the way it goes I guess.

Cheers,

Bill AKA Cosmos.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC

Scooter Pimp

Scooter Pimp
@fabio_dougie avatar
UTC quote
Re: adding a rev counter
Cosmos wrote:
I did the same. Ordered a digital tachometer and installed it on my LX 150 in an empty mounting hole under the seat using a clip nut from the auto parts store. Mostly I wanted a tachometer to set the idle speed. I figured locating it in the upper engine bay would be OK. It gets hot in there but the other Vespa electronics survive. I decided that setting the idle RPM based on the rear wheel "just barely rotating" as noted in the owners manual was not quite good enough. The scooter vibrates and shudders at long traffic lights. So I chose to set the idle to the factory specification instead. The rear wheel rotates slightly now on the center stand but the idle is smooooth. Installing the tach was really easy, just wrap the sensor wire around the spark plug 4 times. I secured the ends with heat shrink tubing. The only questionable thing is the tachometer battery isn't replacable but thats the way it goes I guess.

Cheers,

Bill AKA Cosmos.
Hi Bill

Great stuff!!...glad to hear that it worked for you...I'm going to take mine off the GT125 (I'll leave the cable in place) and fit it to my PK125 to see how that one runs...there is a lot of interesting data that you can get from rpm measurment... setting the idle speed up being just one!!

Fabio

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0277s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0187s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]