@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I know some of you guys know the ins and outs of the GTS250ie. I know that most of you know I have an engine from one that I'm shoe horning into my Peugeot in place of a LEADER 150.

I've been offered the chance to buy the fuel injection throttle body that was originally joined to the engine. Here are the pictures of it, and I need to know what is missing that I'm going to need. I already know I need a high pressure fuel pump, and I could even go aftermarket for that if need be. What other things do I need to ask for so that I will have a running FI system?

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Thanks for all the help.
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others

Hooked
@sean avatar
UTC quote
Is this a used one or new injector?? If it is used do you have the keys since the CDI is part of the unit and would require the programed keys. If you don't I don't think you will be able to use this unit. I'll have to look at a shop manual to see what else is missing or brain storm abit to figure out what else you may need to help you along. hmmmmm ok I'm going to the shop.

Sean

thinking out loud:
Cables !! Do you have those or have you figured out a set up?? You should be able to use a stock GT200 air box and boot they are the same diameter as the GTS air intake 34-35mm ? somewhere around that size. I will also have to look at a picture of the scooter you want to put the motor into to understand how everything is going to fit. I'll google search it.

Another thought .... do you have a wiring harness for a GTS ??
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I was in contact with the person selling it, and it's just the throttle body system. The guy keeps calling it a carburetor, and English does not seem to be his first language. He seems to have sold off everything else from the scooter.

I do not have a GTS250ie wiring harness, nor do I have the keys that would be needed. I take it that the CDI is part of that unit though? This throttle body was once attached to the GTS250ie engine I have in my garage.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
dude, you're gonna be needing a whole buncha shtuff for that bad boy...

lemme hit the parts manual with a few beers when i got some more time and i'll letcha know what i come up with.

best,
-greasy
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: Need info from a Vespa mechanic
...and I still think you should hunt down a carb (a la the BV250) and get that bad boy running. You'll lose a lot less sleep and whole lot less money that way. My $0.02 FWIW.
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
John, I think you're right. Actually, it doesn't even need to be a BV250 carb necesarily. If I can get some specs on the BV250 carb, I could then find a similarly sized Mikuni or something like that and make it work. Considering I don't have a manifold, that probably makes a good bit of sense.

Greasy, could you find out what a BV250 manifold and carb might cost me?
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Smart move, Bryce. The expensive items you're lacking are the EFI throttle body and injector, O2 sensor, and ECU. For reference, a stock GT200 carburetor lists for $298.
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Well, I had access to that throttle body and ECU, but I don't know about the key situation.

I guess I will be going with a Mikuni or whatever else fits well and will deliver the fuel I need. $300 is a lot of money for one little carb.

Eventually, I want to go with Megasquirt and have a programmable engine management system. In the short run, I just need to get it all in there, and running. After that I can do the fancy stuff if I'm still interested.

Anybody got the specs on a BV/GT200 or BV250 carb? How many millimeters is it, etc?
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
Anybody got the specs on a BV/GT200 or BV250 carb? How many millimeters is it, etc?
Sure Bryce. The GT200 carburetor is either a 29.0 mm Walbro WVF-7P or Keihin CVK 30.
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I bet a 30 mil carb of some kind won't be too hard to find.
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
Did I miss something
isnt that motor water cooled?, radiator, cooling fans ect.
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sean avatar
UTC quote
Is this the scooter you want to put the GTS motor into??

Looxer 150

Hmmm interesting and challenging. If I where you I'd tap out and buy a stock GTS. That is a lot of work, time and money to be spending on something that does not look like it will handle a GTS motor. I once had a Tech ask me if it was possible to install a X9 motor into a GT. Hmm I thought anything is possible, but by the time you where done the scooter would cost more then the X9 and GT combined and would handle and look funny. Good luck I'll look into more info and pass it along..

Sean
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Re: Did I miss something
ramrezz425 wrote:
isnt that motor water cooled?, radiator, cooling fans ect.
It sure is. My Peugeot will sprout a radiator and overflow tank and the obligatory fans. My current plan is to dangle the radiator and fans under the floor board, and build a cowling of some sort where the current decorative panels are now. The coolant tank, I'm still unsure of where to place it. At this point, I'd like to basically get the engine in and fitted, and build the cooling system around that.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Re: Did I miss something
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
At this point, I'd like to basically get the engine in and fitted, and build the cooling system around that.
Have you determined yet if the engine will in fact fit in the existing space without major surgery? I might have missed that post, sorry in advance if so.
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
That is what I will be doing very soon. Basically taking out the stock one, putting in the new one, and trying to put things together as much as possible.

Having unwrapped it, and sized it up, it looks like it's very close in size to my LEADER 150. If it won't go in without major surgery, then I'll be designing a frame for it and create something of my own. I'm envisioning a cross between an Italjet Dragster, a Lambretta, and the as yet unreleased Derbi GP1. And I'll probably equip it with a 5 gallon gas tank and mounting points for 2 spare tires. Gotta keep the 2008 Cannonball in mind.
OP
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Sean wrote:
Is this the scooter you want to put the GTS motor into??

Looxer 150

Hmmm interesting and challenging. If I where you I'd tap out and buy a stock GTS. That is a lot of work, time and money to be spending on something that does not look like it will handle a GTS motor. I once had a Tech ask me if it was possible to install a X9 motor into a GT. Hmm I thought anything is possible, but by the time you where done the scooter would cost more then the X9 and GT combined and would handle and look funny. Good luck I'll look into more info and pass it along.
This project has never been about doing something because it's particularly easy or anything like that. It's about not being able to leave well enough alone. I like the GTS250ie, but I can't justify buying a new scooter at the moment. And if I had the disposable income for it, there are some things I do want more like an air compressor, more tools, redoing the interior on my Lancia, etc. Muscle cars were created by putting big engines into small (by American standards) cars. I'm applying that formula to my scooter. While I like the GT and GTS, they weigh significantly more than my Looxor 150. On the order of 70lb and 90lb respectively.

As far as the Looxor not looking like it will swallow up that GTS motor, that's another part of the appeal. I will have a complete sleeper. It's also fun to have the only one.

Basically, when the garage space opens up again for me (soon), I will drop the current engine, and just see if the new one fits in properly. If it doesn't, then I make my own scoot as mentioned above.

Update: I've found a pair of Keihin CVK30s for about 10% of what Vespa lists the GT200 carb at. They will probably need to be cleaned and rebuilt, but I do need to learn how to do that.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0293s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]