@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Today is both happy and sad at the same time, for I have parted company with one of my 8 vehicles, yet another of my cast-off "hobbies".

The vehicle in question is a 1969 Nissan Patrol. Very rare in the US, only 2600 ever imported, and probably less than 500 left. I have, in my lifetime, seen only one in person, other than my own, and that was for no more than 10 seconds as it drove by.

Ever hear of a Nissan (NOT a Datsun) made in the 60s? Think they don't exist? Think again. This was the only product in the United States bearing the Nissan name during that period. I've had people tell me to my face that it's impossible for this to be a 1969 vehicle with the Nissan name on it. Some of them were Nissan dealership employees. Funny, that.

Despite their rarity, though, they're not worth a lot, primarily because no one has ever heard of them. Plus, they're ugly. Really ugly. That's actually what I like about it, but that's just the way I am. It's built like a tank. I've personally seen no less than three people severely damage their own cars backing (or forwarding) into it, parked as it usually is in front of a fast food restaurant where the customers have little regard for other people's property. Not a single one of them bothered to leave a note or otherwise attempt to take any kind of responsibility, but in all cases, it didn't even scratch the monster bumper this thing was built with. Oh, and the front bumper sticks out a good 18 inches from the front, too. That's where the factory PTO winch goes.

Alas, I had no time for this project, and it was getting lonely parked on the street, damage inflicted on other cars notwithstanding. It was time to move on. A friend of a friend was looking for a project, maybe a Landcruiser or something, and I offered my beloved Nissan Patrol, gratis, if he would take it and restore it. He made several overtures to try to give me something in return, but I insisted that all I wanted was for someone to give it a good home where it might escape the crusher for a while longer.

So I bid you adieu, my beloved Patrol, for though I will miss you, you'll be in a better place now.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Thats sweet Jess.

I love the old Toyotas, did the Rubicon once in one. Scarry stuff, but great fun.

Sorry you had to part with your toy, always tough...... :?

R
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: [OffTopic] Down A Vehicle
Gotta love those bumpers. And that interior! Can you say, "spartan?" Wow! What a cool cool car. Glad it went to a good home. So, um, what are the remaining "project" vehicles, Jess?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
jrsjr wrote:
So, um, what are the remaining "project" vehicles, Jess?
I'm down to two: The 1966 Vespa VBC and a 1966 Mustang.

Can you guess what year I was born?
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
Damn, Jess, I'm pretty sure that thing coulda taken a bullet.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
So, um, what are the remaining "project" vehicles, Jess?
I'm down to two: The 1966 Vespa VBC and a 1966 Mustang.

Can you guess what year I was born?
btw, I'm going to have to put my money on 1964. Better return on that bet.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Today is both happy and sad at the same time, for I have parted company with one of my 8 vehicles, yet another of my cast-off "hobbies".

The vehicle in question is a 1969 Nissan Patrol. Very rare in the US, only 2600 ever imported, and probably less than 500 left. I have, in my lifetime, seen only one in person, other than my own, and that was for no more than 10 seconds as it drove by.

Ever hear of a Nissan (NOT a Datsun) made in the 60s? Think they don't exist? Think again. This was the only product in the United States bearing the Nissan name during that period. I've had people tell me to my face that it's impossible for this to be a 1969 vehicle with the Nissan name on it. Some of them were Nissan dealership employees. Funny, that.

Despite their rarity, though, they're not worth a lot, primarily because no one has ever heard of them. Plus, they're ugly. Really ugly. That's actually what I like about it, but that's just the way I am. It's built like a tank. I've personally seen no less than three people severely damage their own cars backing (or forwarding) into it, parked as it usually is in front of a fast food restaurant where the customers have little regard for other people's property. Not a single one of them bothered to leave a note or otherwise attempt to take any kind of responsibility, but in all cases, it didn't even scratch the monster bumper this thing was built with. Oh, and the front bumper sticks out a good 18 inches from the front, too. That's where the factory PTO winch goes.

Alas, I had no time for this project, and it was getting lonely parked on the street, damage inflicted on other cars notwithstanding. It was time to move on. A friend of a friend was looking for a project, maybe a Landcruiser or something, and I offered my beloved Nissan Patrol, gratis, if he would take it and restore it. He made several overtures to try to give me something in return, but I insisted that all I wanted was for someone to give it a good home where it might escape the crusher for a while longer.

So I bid you adieu, my beloved Patrol, for though I will miss you, you'll be in a better place now.
Thats a tough one, but in the end, it's a better thing to re-distribute the "wealth" from time to time. At least it goes to a friend, vs a stranger.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
That's cool that you passed it along to somebody who can enjoy it. I have always been a bit of a fan of the Patrol. It's spartan, utilitarian, and I bet it's as reliable as an anvil.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
I have always been a bit of a fan of the Patrol. It's spartan, utilitarian, and I bet it's as reliable as an anvil.
It is, which is a good thing, since parts are nearly nonexistent. Nissan made a forklift with a similar engine in it for many years, and I hear that some owners have taken to using the engine rebuild kits for those on the Patrol, at least the parts of it that are the same between the two engines.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
Jess
did some Nissan Patrol have 3 air flaps in the bulkhead ?
i too have onle seen one partol in my lifetime (it was flat black)
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
NapaCoach wrote:
did some Nissan Patrol have 3 air flaps in the bulkhead ?
Yep, apparently as late as 1967, judging from some of the pictures. Not sure if 68s had two or three, but 69s only had two.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
fake ass land rovers Laughing emoticon
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
NapaCoach wrote:
fake ass land rovers Laughing emoticon
Yeah, basically. They were designed, much like their contemporaries at the time (Land Rover and the Toyota Landcruiser) to be third-world vehicles, capable of navigating where roads weren't really an option. Military-style bench seating in the back, engine-powered winch on the front, and -- get this -- the Patrol came with a long shaft that you could stick in the front and hand-crank the engine if the battery was dead. After all, if you're in sub-saharan Africa, you're going to want your vehicle to start no matter what. This was a vehicle designed for those conditions. The importation into the US market was something of an afterthought -- Nissan was trying to build a presence in the US (and had been importing very small numbers of cars all the way back to the 50s) and thought the Patrol might move a few units.

My Patrol had spent the first part of it's life on a ranch somewhere, herding cattle and pulling stumps. Not quite what it was intended for, but close enough.
@hayes avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N

Molto Verboso
@hayes avatar
2005 vespa px125 (sold) + 1998 Yamaha XJ600N
UTC quote
what a threesome ! Nissan Patrol, Toyota Landcruiser and Land Rover
Cars built to last...
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Jess that is an awesome truck/atv/whatever it wanted to be, vehicle. I would love to find something like that to restore.

8 vehicles? I read that part twice to make sure I was not seeing things. Holy cow I gotta know what they are, and how big a garage you have vs need. Hope the mustang gets the loving touch soon. Would love to have one of those also, Beale.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
i sometimes start my rover with the hand crank the sole purpose of freaking people out

might we ask how much you got for it Jess ?
@javarod avatar
UTC

Hooked
KYMCo Vitality 2004

Hooked
@javarod avatar
KYMCo Vitality 2004
UTC quote
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a direct copy of the Land Rover of that period, it depends on Land Rover's history. I must say, I've seen one of these before, I think about 10 years ago in an off road magazine.

Now, as to the history thing, familiar with the Suzuki Samurai? If you were to measure it, you'd find the dimisions are nearly identical to one of the Jeeps, CJ-2/3 and the original military jeeps. Guess why? Most likely is they copied one left over in Japan from the war. One hint at that is the designation which served as the original name, SJ-410 and later SJ-413. I know what the numbers mean, 4 cylinder, 1.0 and later 1.3L, but I can only assume SJ stands for Suzuki Jeep.

The point to all this? I wonder if Nissan did the same thing earlier, I think that would depend on the history of Land Rover and how far back they go.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
I know the attraction Jess. I too have had my share of eclectic vehicles.
@machineguncharley avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)

Hooked
@machineguncharley avatar
2007 Vespa LX150 (Yellow)
UTC quote
Jess....sorry you had to part with the Nissan Patrol...I had never heard of one either, but what an incredible vehicle! I really enjoyed the pictures. If nothing else, you've got to respect a vehicle that fights back against people who can't park. And one other thing...1966 a VERY good year!!

Chuck
UTC

Enthusiast
03 ET4 & 06 GTS

Enthusiast
03 ET4 & 06 GTS
UTC quote
Jess,
I feel your pain. I too had to let go my 86 Landcruiser. I was about 3/4
on the restore project. I was getting into the engine when the gas prices started to climb. Pressure was put on me to make a decision. Let me just say I feel your pain. Like yours, my cruiser went to a good home. It stayed in the same town, once and awhile my son would ask me if we could go see it.
Maybe you might get to see it again all restored and ready to go....

Keep the chin up!!!
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
That's a project? It looks nicer than what I drive every day

I don't know how worthless it is though, Barrett-Jackson had the same one, only not as nice projected at $60,000.00
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Beale wrote:
8 vehicles? I read that part twice to make sure I was not seeing things. Holy cow I gotta know what they are, and how big a garage you have vs need.
Well, that's really part of the problem: I have no garage. It's the worst situation for a guy that likes cars and projects to be in, but that's my reality. If I had someplace to put the Patrol, and didn't have to move it for street sweeping four times a month, then maybe I would be able to hold onto it long enough to give it the attention it needs.

Not all of my vehicles are cars. In fact, I now have more scooters than cars. Here's the list:

- 1966 Ford Mustang
- 2002 Nissan Sentra
- 2005 Nissan XTerra
- 1966 Vespa VBC
- 2006 Vespa LX150
- 2006 Vespa GT200
- 2004 Honda Metropolitan
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
NapaCoach wrote:
might we ask how much you got for it Jess ?
$0. I had turned away a couple of minor offers in the past from people who had no idea what they might be in for, what with no parts to speak of and it being a very difficult driving experience. I knew that it would just end up deteriorating further (and maybe faster) in the hands of a chump, and end up in the crusher that much sooner. With so few of them still in the US, it pained me to think that I might be aiding the extinction of this model, so my first priority was to save it, rather than get my money back out of it.

The guy I gave it to, besides being someone I know, is a retired arson investigator who wanted a project to work on. He's got a shop / garage for his projects, and his son owns a body & paint shop. Really, it couldn't have gone to a better home than that.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Hayes wrote:
what a threesome ! Nissan Patrol, Toyota Landcruiser and Land Rover
Thanks for the visual aids, Hayes, that's cool.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Javarod wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a direct copy of the Land Rover of that period, it depends on Land Rover's history.
I think (I'm just guessing here, I don't really know) that it's probably closer to a knock-off of the Toyota Landcruiser than the Land Rover. There are clear design similarities between the Landcruiser and the Patrol, and Nissan was clearly influenced early on by the success of their larger compatriot Toyota.

Now whether the Landcruiser was itself a knockoff of the Land Rover is a whole different issue entirely.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/napacoach/images/rover&scooter%20002.jpg[/img]

anyone in the bay area want to buy my 72 right hand drive land rover ?
my girlfriend needs a new Audi
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0361s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0023s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]