@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
A Bay Area DJ, was on air during the morning commute last week, advocating that motorists attack lane-splitting motorcyclists, by opening their doors in to the path of riders.
Here is a partial quote from the DJ, named Woody, at Live 105 Radio San
Francisco:
"One of my pet-peeves is people on motorcycles who think they don't have to wait in traffic like everybody else... Nothing would make me happier than to watch somebody, and I've actually seen this happen, somebody open a door and take you out as you are trying to squeeze through..."
- DJ Woody 01-12-06

You can voice your disgust here:
http://www.live105.com/interact/contact/default.htm
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
In constant state of flux...
UTC quote
My response to LIVE105 FM:
Quote:
FANTASTIC!:

"One of my pet-peeves is people on motorcycles who think they don't have to wait in traffic like everybody else... Nothing would make me happier than to watch somebody, and I've actually seen this happen, somebody open a door and take you out as you are trying to squeeze through..."
- DJ Woody 01-12-06

Hey, let's promote violence. It's rad and EXTREEEEEME! Oh gee, you poor thing who has to sit in traffic like the rest of us! Sorry, you're crappy life sucks and that you fantasize about taking it out on others.

You're embarrassing. Thanks for the reminder as to why I shouldn't listen to commercial radio.

Regards,

T. Robledo
Thanks for the afternoon fun, addicted.
@nealaustin avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 Vespa Primavera

Hooked
@nealaustin avatar
2020 Vespa Primavera
UTC quote
Don't you just hate it when the cagers sit in their fat ass cars and block up the roads. He's just another monkey sitting in a cage angry at the humans that can go past his cage. You be careful those monkeys at the zoo are known to throw their own feces through the bars.
Don'tjaknow, Neal
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I've been following this story myself, and while it's absolutely reprehensible (and you should all still consider making your voice heard, as per Gary's suggestion) I can tell you that the DJ in question ("Woody") has demonstrated quite a bit of contrition on the subject, going so far as to post to the Bay Area Rider's Forum with something of an apology. He's also vowed to take the MSF course, after one of the radio station's sponsors (a Yamaha dealer, IIRC) exerted some on-air influence on the topic.

Unfortunately, one of the DJs excuses was "I didn't know it was legal to lane-split in California, I'm new here". This misses the larger point that deliberately causing someone to be injured or killed, whether they were in compliance with the law or not, is in itself not okay, legally or morally.

Still, I get the impression that the station has heard the motorcycle and scooter community quite clearly, the sponsor has been heard quite clearly, and the pressure on Woody to apologize, retract his statements , and make good with the community has almost had the desired effect.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
That's 100% accurate Jess, as I understand it. However, I find it hard to downplay Woody's actual broadcast, given the number of commuting listeners, and his recant is only a result of pressure from BARF members.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
In the interest of fair play...
First, let me apologize to everyone for causing such a stir. Believe it or not this wasn't any kind of "stunt" to try to get listeners or anything.......what sense would that make? Anyway, I'm really sorry and I've tried to take it back a million times so far, and have advocated lane splitting and encouraged people to STOP PHUCKING WITH PEOPLE ON MOTORCYCLES on the roads, since the initial comment on the 12th.

At this point I don't know what else I can say other than I'm sorry and trust me, message received loud and clear......don't phuck with bikers. Ya'll are amazing at sticking together.

Besides taking the safety class (which I'll do, I'm actually really looking forward to it. I've always wanted to learn how to ride) I've got some other things cookin' in an attempt to "make good" with you guys and biker broads. Including, but not limited to running some awareness Public Service Announcements about lane sharing.....lots have been asking and suggesting that. So consider it done. They'll be on by weeks end. Is there somewhere I can get some specifics.....facts? We'll need to write copy.

Don't take this out on Dan at Bay Area Yamaha, he had nothing to do with this, and trust me when I tell you he gave an earful to everyone here at the radio station about his displeasure over the situation. You can hate me, that's fine.....I'll understand. But Dan wasn't involved in the original segment, and has done nothing but be a stand-up guy and defend motorcycling.

He's got it right though.......as do most of you on this board.......let's try to turn this into a positive. We on the morning show will be more than happy to help promote a charity event, or something else of the ilk to help get the word out.

Again, I'm really sorry. Not that you have to believe me, but it's my hope that over time all of you can see that I'm not an evil guy. Just a dumb radio DJ. Lesson learned.

Woody (yes that Woody)
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Perhaps it would be to everyone's advantage for Woody to host a scooter/motorcycle rally after he passes the MSF and gets his endorsement.
Being in Alaska and later in Philadelphia I won't be attending.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Gary - Sorry, didn't mean to downplay it, and I agree, it shouldn't be downplayed. Contact the station (as I have done) and make sure they hear what you have to say.

Just wanted to point out with some satisfaction that the reaction from the respective communities has been having an effect.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
And thank you sir, for talking me down.
@ifixjets avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.

Ossessionato
@ifixjets avatar
UTC quote
Another point drivers need to ponder is that it is a FELONY to open a door to hinder a rider while lane splitting.
OP
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
And that's why we need laws... Crying or Very sad emoticon
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
It seems that the apology is heartfelt. I hope he follows through.

I wish lane-splitting was legal in more places. Done carefully it does not hinder cars at all. There is no reason for anyone to be bothered by it, other than the "it pisses my off that he's moving faster than me" factor.

I do it sometimes (illegally in DC), but only at backups at lights when I'm confident I can get to the line before the light changes.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
On the other hand, I've been in my car on the Belt Parkway in Queens, I'm doing 55-60. I got ready to change lanes, SIGNALED, looked behind, and no one there. As I start moving over, some idiot on a jet bike doing about 85 comes from nowhere and gets pissed at me for changing lanes. He gives me the finger!??

It's one thing if traffic is crawling along and quite another when traffic is moving along nicely. Some courtesy on both sides should be advised.
@ifixjets avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@ifixjets avatar
UTC quote
I commute most weekends and over the past 6 years since I moved back to SoCal there have been somedays where stunt riders clog the freeway's doing thier tricks. They are usually anywhere between 12 and 50 riders and they hold up traffic to perform their stunts with rediculous speed and wreckless abandonment. I have had several close calls with these riders weaving in and out lanes. These guys give ALL motorcyclists a bad rap. They have no plates on the bikes and have lookouts posted for the CHP. Just 2 weeks ago they were at it again and the police started a chase, not sure how it ended, but I hope they were caught. I am glad I wasnt on a large sportbike, I would hate to get pulled over for being mistaken for one of these creeps. Anyone else witness similar events in your local area ?
@demonlarry avatar
UTC

Hooked
too many to list

Hooked
@demonlarry avatar
too many to list
UTC quote
my reply on their board:

Subject: "open door" motorcycle policy

body:
All i have to say, is bravo to idiot meathead "woody". Why on earth would you advocate violence against motorcyclists. Live 105 and their sponsors would do well to reevaluate your position with the company. in a city as crowded as San Francisco, it is a good thing to not have the roads being clogged with 1 person each in their SUVs.

Sirius Radio is being purchased today!

thanks.

Sincerely,
someone who deserves to be clotheslined by a car door
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0281s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0050s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]