OP
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
is it allowed?, lay down a primer 1st?, will that rubberized dipping stuff work on chrome? or does all this sound lame?
just thinking/brainstorming
@scooterbobby avatar
UTC

Hooked
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500

Hooked
@scooterbobby avatar
31 motorcycles..8scooters and a bad -ass Fiat 500
UTC quote
you're scaring me Razz emoticon ..don't do it,whatever you're thinking!
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Painting on Chrome is unlikely to stick...will just flake off or scratch of with the first bit of mild abrasion i.e. your fingernail. Chrome (chromium) by it's very nature is resistant to anything sticking to it. It is very hard and abrasion resistant. If you must, then you need to abrade the surface, scuff it up to allow the paint to 'key in'. You would then need to use an etch primer to facilitate a base coat that would allow a top coat to adhere. Even after all this, the paint is likeley to fall off eventually.
Take the part off and pay to have it rechromed....unless you are looking for some sort of Hassellhoff Knight Rider look!
Cheers
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
How did you get the front bumper red on this one ?

Tim

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
You didn't say specifically what you wanted to paint, so I don't know if this will apply to your situation. Look for a local place that does powder coating, and inquire if they can acid-bath your chrome parts and then powder-coat them in the color of your choice. Real trick results.
OP
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
front bumper
that was a "Bright Metal" finish. not chrome. surface actually had some tooth in it. it was not bulletproff to rocks and stuff. used metal prep to etch the surface first.
still thinking/brainstorming
TFauch wrote:
How did you get the front bumper red on this one ?

Tim

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Like Addicted said, you'll need to de-chrome it... if you want the paint to stick more than five minutes.
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
Re: can you paint onto chrome?
Chromed plastic or metal?

For plastic, place in full strength liquid plumber and the chrome will be removed then prep and paint with standard automotive finishes.
NOTE: I highly suggest testing a small hidden are on the plastic first to see if it reacts with the liquid plumber.

On metal: 1. You can have the chrome removed by a chrome shop. 2. You can sandblast, clean, and then prep with an automotive etching primer, and paint with automotive finishes. I have had luck with process 2, but baked the primer, color and clear coat between each coat.

I also warm the cans before each coat when using spraypaint with hot water in the sink. I try to get the can temp to 80 F.
OP
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
Hey wetspeed
hows it going in AZ?, ever coming out to L.A. again, lotsa rides coming up in socal. thanks for the paint info. hope to see you soon. dr
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
DR,

It has been snowing here the last couple of days. Not cold enough to stick, but cold enough that I might have to wear long pants

We are trying to go to Vegas, but my wife is in the middle of getting a new job and I won't know anything until the last minute. We are hoping to make a couple of So Cal and Nor Cal rides this year.

You going to Vegas?
OP
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ramrezz425 avatar
UTC quote
Vegas
trying to coordinate a visit to st george ut., and the vegas rally, hope i can do both, I am getting tired of this online gambling and am getting itchy to hit the tables in person. plus see all those scoots!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0309s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0054s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]