OP
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Had an unusual experience with a new pair of polarised sunglasses, you know the ones that produce the leopard skin image when you look at a windscreen of an on-coming car. As if this wasn't enough the cover on the GT200 intrument panel had the same effect so it has some sort of safety lens/plastic.
But it doesn't end there...if you pull your visor down (I have an HJC lid, clear visor) the combination of the visor plastic and the polarised sunnies produce an effect to make on-coming car windscreens completely golden and fully reflective, unable to see the driver inside...i.e no eye conatct at intersections or seeing the driver turning the wheel, being inattentive etc.

Needless to say I have flicked the polarised shades for a new pair but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed such an occurrence?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
A friend of mine noticed that he can't see the screen of his cell phone at all with polarized lenses on. Apparently, the phone has a polarized screen, and it's oriented in such a way that the two together block 100% of the light coming from the cell phone's screen.

I dislike polarized lenses, personally, and try to avoid any sunglasses with them. To me, they make things like vegetation look weird and unsettling.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
Re: Polarised sunglasses+clear visor=dodgy vision?
Boulty wrote:
Had an unusual experience with a new pair of polarised sunglasses, you know the ones that produce the leopard skin image when you look at a windscreen of an on-coming car. As if this wasn't enough the cover on the GT200 intrument panel had the same effect so it has some sort of safety lens/plastic.
But it doesn't end there...if you pull your visor down (I have an HJC lid, clear visor) the combination of the visor plastic and the polarised sunnies produce an effect to make on-coming car windscreens completely golden and fully reflective, unable to see the driver inside...i.e no eye conatct at intersections or seeing the driver turning the wheel, being inattentive etc.

Needless to say I have flicked the polarised shades for a new pair but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed such an occurrence?
Yup, everything's all green and pink....like when I went to class after lunch in high school....
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Yeah, I got the green and purple reflections looking throught the helmet faceplate when I wore my prescription sunglasses.

Wow man, the colors!

Anyway, it was annoying so I don't wear them anymore. (The sunglasses, not the helmet.)
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Yes I get that also. I wear mine besause they are prescripts. I actually thought it was me. Glad that I am not any crazier than usual, Beale.
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
yeah, I get that too. It's not so bad that it obstructs my vision though.
@snowbum avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX150 (Diamondwhite baby!) 2003 suzuki Savage 650 (Thumper)

Addicted
@snowbum avatar
Vespa LX150 (Diamondwhite baby!) 2003 suzuki Savage 650 (Thumper)
UTC quote
Yeah, that is a crazy phenomenon, I too just look for the shades that are not polarized. My MSF instructor also told me that in the state of Oklahoma tinted face shields are illegal. I could see that at night, but I dont know about the daytime, but i dont want to risk a ticket, so I just use clear with the shades.

No eye contact with drivers can be very scarry!!
@collbain2000 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2004 Vespa ET4

Hooked
@collbain2000 avatar
2004 Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Crazy!

I'm glad this was brought up as I am going to buy a pair of perscription sunglasses in the next few months.

Would you guys (and girls) recommend that I get non-polarized lenses?

Thanks!
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
UTC quote
collbain2000 wrote:
Crazy!

I'm glad this was brought up as I am going to buy a pair of perscription sunglasses in the next few months.

Would you guys (and girls) recommend that I get non-polarized lenses?

Thanks!
I love my prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses. In most instances, polarized is better. You will notice a spotted, leopard-like pattern on car windows and helmet shields. It really doesn't bother me much.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Polarized is better for your eyes, even if it makes windows/shields spotty.

Colbain, good luck finding non-polarized 'scrpit lenses. I've only seen polarized.
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I have a pair of PanOptix perscription glasses for riding. Both the Panoptix and my regular glasses are something like photo gray, the kind that get dark in the sun light and are clear when it is dark. They are not polorized and I really like them.

The Panoptix were expensive but I have had them for 3 years now and they are still in excellent condition. I will likely ware them several more years before upgrading the lenses so the cost is realative.

MGG
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
My prescript glasses have Transistional (TM) lenses. Got the prescript filled at Costco. They get really dark.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
The effects must vary then. In my case, the shifting colors were so pronounced that wearing the polarized sunglasses became a distraction.

I bought a tinted visor for my old jet helmet ( I wear a full-face now ) but since my commute often ends up riding home after sunset I rarely used it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0331s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0047s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]