@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
I created a new thread to continue the "Full Face" discussion in a slightly different direction. Sorry if this has been discussed here previously.
Mesmer wrote:
There have been alot of reports that say a helmet's safety is compromised after a 3ft drop onto concrete. If you're concerned about it, get a new one, 'cuz it'll probably be on your mind whenever you put it on and hope it's still safe.
I've seen conflicting reports on what to do here, and it's important to me because my helmet recently fell off my seat on to pavement. The finish has a little chip in it but it seems fine structurally.

Mesmer, I know you mean well with the "if you're concerned about it get a new one" comment, so please don't think I'm bashing you at all, but I've seen that kind of comment on some other sites, too. But I'll only be concerned about it if I'll be putting my head at risk, otherwise I don't really want to spend $350 on another Shoei.

Some say "The helmet is now compromised. Get a new one." Others say that's a notion promoted by the helmet manufacturers.

I'll get a new helmet if I need to to be safe, but does anyone know what the consensus of the "experts" is on this matter? (not the helmet manufacturers' consensus) If you could provide a link, too, that would be great.

Thanks!

Kevin
UTC

UTC quote
once you drop a helmet or kick it while its on the floor, you need a new one, helmets can only take one hit and once its taken you might as well wear a wollie hat on your scooter, i think its somthing to do with the polystarine inside it.
@bwyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 SOLD

Addicted
@bwyn avatar
GTS250 SOLD
UTC quote
Here is a good article showing test results of seven flip-up helmets.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/fliphelmets/
OP
@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Thanks, Bwyn.

Here's a typcial thread on the issue:
http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=22&m=29733&g=30080#m30080

Makes it kinda hard to reach a concusion, huh? And another:

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=c0c8082665d40b75c1bd464fd54a6f71&threadid=27072

Hmmm...

What does Shoei (my helmet maker) have to say?
Quote:
"Q: Is a crashed / dropped helmet still safe to wear?
Current safety helmets are designed to absorb the energy of an accident by being destroyed. Even a small impact can damage the integrity of the shell or the inner liner. Quite often this damage may be unnoticeable to the untrained eye. Therefore, any helmet involved in an impact should not be used again. "
Found on yet another board:
Quote:
i was having a conversation about dropped helmets w/ a friend of mine who teaches the MSF course. they were telling me that SNELL told them a dropped helmet does not necessarily compromise the integrity of the helmet. which i thought was contradictory to what i had learned when i taken the MSF course. so i contacted SNELL and here was there answer:

"If your motorcycle helmet was dropped on the floor by itself (not when you were wearing it on your head), the protective liner of the helmet should not be damaged so much from this single fall that calls for a replacement. Only when a helmet makes an impact on a hard object with mass inside, such as the head, the protective liner and the outside shell are crushed to absorb the impact energy. A helmet works to protect the head by crushing up. When an impact on the head with the helmet on is not great, the liner and the shell may still be damaged enough that the helmet may not provide adequate impact protection again. This is why we caution helmet wearers to examine the helmet for damage after a fall. Do not trust a helmet for a second time.

Other than a fall, there are other things that may damage the foam liner and shell, such as repeatedly putting a helmet on a mirror, washing the inside and outside of the helmet with chemicals not recommended by the
manufacturer. Small dents made on the inside foam every time the helmet is place on a mirror can accumulate to the point that they reduce the
protective capabilities of the liner. Certain chemicals used in cleaning the inside and outside of a helmet may cause major damage to the impact protection performance of the helmet."
So that seems to be what Snell says. I guess this is the closest thing to a statement from impartial expert that I've found, though it somewhat contradicts what I have often heard and it's being reported secondhand (I can't find anything on the subject on the Snell site).

Kevin
@mesmer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT200

Molto Verboso
@mesmer avatar
GT200
UTC quote
You can ship your helmet back to some of the larger helmet manufacturers for testing after a drop. They will test it and let you know whether it's still safe or not.
@smorgasbord avatar
UTC

Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Hooked
@smorgasbord avatar
X-9 500 Evo, GT200
UTC quote
Re: dropped helmet: need a new one?
If it is a Shoei, they'll apparently inspect it for you free of charge:

http://www.nj.com/weblogs/print.ssf?/mtlogs/njo_twowheels/archives/print033673.html
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0271s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0025s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]