Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 pm

BV 250 2006

BV 250 2006
Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 pm linkquote
So a month ago I made a pair of mirror extenders as a trial as I was sick of looking at my wife's shoulders when we ride two-up.

Here is the test piece.

sadly I had to cut the mounting bolts to length and the sharp new thread stripped out the butter soft handlebar clamp so I just epoxied the right mirror in place and used the left side as the test.

The difference was night and day - now I could see directly behind me without leaning to the side at all. So today was the day to fab up some good sturdy ones. As I'm sure you noticed the thin little test ones were pretty bouncy.

I started with a chuck of rusty old pipe I had laying around with the same ID as the OEM clamp. some square bar stock I was using as a damper rod holding tool for my XT600 forks, and some heavy nuts.

cut the pieces to length and clean the edges with the grinder

Weld the arm together

then attack it with the grinder to clean it up

The nut is cut into a small recess in the arm for a little added strength. I'm not sure if this is so smart. I have had this bike knocked over in a parking lot and the mirror just swiveled out of the way. but the way I have it now it might be too strong and a tip over could break the lever clamp, rendering me without brakes... something to think about.

so far so good. I like the way the mirrors fits on the new arm - here it is welded to the steel tube, not yet cut from the stock.

[/img]
Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm

BV 250 2006

BV 250 2006
Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 pm linkquote
part 2
I then had the problem of the holes for the mounting screws. they are very close to the bar, with only a 1/16 " of stock between the bar and the screw. So I ended up grinding flats to the sides of the pipe and welding on short bits of square stock. Instead of the bother of drilling holes I just used the grinder to cut slots into the little square pieces so they formed a rough hole.

By now you are probably thinking -my god what a mess this will never work! but I have been pretty accurate in my measuring and after I grind off the new pieces the holes line up perfectly.

done and ready to paint

I test fitted before painting and removed some material that was contacting the brake fluid reservoir. a coat of black paint left in the sun was dry to touch in an hour. bolted it straight on - perfect fit and used some locktight on the mirror thread so no more jiggling loose on the highway.

Then I had to go make another one. The only thing I don't like is that I put the vertical arm 90 degrees to the clamp - but the clamp is tipped forward so the arm (while angled back at the "elbow") still comes forward too much, such that the mirror is just an inch or two forward of my grip - I would prefer them to be a few inched forward more. I could just swing the mirror arm forward but the way they make the stupid things you have a very small amount of adjusting in the actual mirror part, and the two don't. unless you have a BV with its positioning-challenged mirrors that last paragraph will be nonsense to you.

But I'm done and happy with them.
Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 am

Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250

Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 am linkquote
Nifty! I agree that the mirrors on the BV are a pain, which is why I removed mine and switched to bar end mirrors.
Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm

BV 250 2006

BV 250 2006
Wed May 25, 2011 4:10 pm linkquote
there is someone selling nice extenders on ebay for $20 but since I stripped the threads on my clamp I had to make new ones - otherwise I would have just bought them.

I have never used bar end mirrors - I don't think I would like them, I like to have my mirrors just off to the side of my point of view. I see some of those harley guys with the under bar/ bar end mounts and I think I would get dizzy looking up and down so much.

but then again I'm mister safety - I just did the mirrors with my Stebel horn install - so I generally don;t like anything I think will slow my chances of encounters with cagers.
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:46 am

06 BV 250

06 BV 250
Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:46 am linkquote
Mirror extender
Go to local Hobby Shop and buy brass tube that will just fit over mirror shaft.
Cut shaft at about half way point.
Add amount of brass tube to extend shaft.
Epoxie and join shaft.
Did this years ago, so no pictures.
Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 am

Banned
Scarabeo 250ie, BV 250ie

Banned
Scarabeo 250ie, BV 250ie
Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 am linkquote
bklwashere wrote:
Nifty! I agree that the mirrors on the BV are a pain, which is why I removed mine and switched to bar end mirrors.
+1 I now can't stand stock mirrors on any scooter, once you switch to convex mirrors like bar ends it's REALLY hard to use anything else...
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0310s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0122s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]