Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
 
Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm linkquote
This post -- my first! -- has been a long time coming. Finally, after weeks of research, subsequent weeks of waiting for parts, then some frustrating days of troubleshooting, I got this mod done. Many thanks to all MV users -- and a special shout out to micbergsma -- for advice and expertise!

I have an Excalibur Grey Piaggio Fly 50, which I love (purchased August 2008 in Boston; have been riding all winter when not snowing or raining). As soon as I learned that the Fly's blinkers in Europe weren't those ugly DOT-approved pods, I wanted to do this mod, which I'd seen elsewhere in various forms on MV. Some people had simply replaced the stock incandescent running lights with LEDs, more ambitious folks had turned them into only blinkers, and one, with lots of cutting and ingenuity (which I didn't want to do and don't have), had actually added a 2nd bulb to the front running light lens housing and ended up with running lights and blinkers in front (these mods were not all on the Fly, but on the LX and other bikes). In a stroke of genius(?) and with the help of micbergsma, I figured that since the brake light on the Fly used a 3-wire socket and an 1157-type dual filament bulb (for a running light plus a brake light), I could use the same type of bulb in the front -- to make one bulb on each side for running lights and blinkers. I wanted to throw LED bulbs in all around too (since I'd already painted and upgraded the instrument panel to LEDs, which I'll try to make a post about another time), mainly for the look, but also for additional brightness and "instant-on" of LEDs.

I got all the bulbs from v-leds.com. The brake light was a simple swap, as was the rear license plate light. The blinkers, I thought, would be an easy fix too. Far from it. I realized that the low draw of LEDs caused them to blink fast. Then the rear amber LED blinkers wouldn't light. At all. In any configuration, with any LED bulb. I even returned bulbs and bought different more expensive ones, thinking the bulbs were the issue -- they weren't. The very last thing I figured out is that apparently, the wiring on the rear blinker sockets of the 2008 Fly is reversed -- positive to negative, negative to positive -- which apparently doesn't matter with the stock incandescent bulbs, but very much does with LEDs, which is why they wouldn't light. So, along with Signal Dynamics Corp's Dual Load Equalizer, all was finally fixed, and the blinkers were good to go.

As a part of this project, I did some accompanying basic paint and body work. The 2009 Flys have clear rear light lenses, which I really like, so I ordered clear blinkers lenses from a dealer, keeping the stock red one, which I liked. Now the rear blinkers look clear until they go on amber. I also replaced the front access panel with a black one, purely for looks (I should have painted it instead of buying it for $46!). I painted the rear hand rail and the side deflector strips black, and might paint the front mud guard and headlamp housing black eventually. I then removed the stick-on "Fly 4Tempi" from both sides, and the kick-start warning sticker, for a much cleaner all- around look.

Parts list:
2 3-wire 1157 sockets (original Piaggio parts), $13.80 each
2 left and right clear blinker housings, about $25 each
1 Red 1157 LED (rear brake), $20
2 Amber 1157 LED (front running + blinker), $20 each
2 Amber 1156 LED (rear blinker), $20 each
2 White 194 LED (license plate light and sidelight)
9 Posi-Lock connectors for 18-24 gauge wire, $8
1 Signal Dynamics Corp. Dual Load Equalizer, $20
misc. 18 gauge wire
black spray paint
metric allen keys to remove DOT blinker pods

Photos and explanations are below.


This is before I did any of the major work. All I had done at this point was replace the front access panel with a black one and spray paint the screw glossy black.


On the left is the same socket that's stock in the brake light -- 3 wires, for running, brake and ground (to be used for running, blinker, ground in front). On the right is the stock running light socket, with only 2 wires.


I had to slice one of the tabs on the black 3-wire sockets to make it fit perfectly and lock into the front running light lenses. Generic 3-wire sockets would be cheaper but wouldn't fit as perfectly with so little modification.


Now it was time to get to work. These are all the pieces I removed (the side deflectors I only removed because I wanted them black; they do not have to be removed to remove the glove box).


I had wanted to use the the stock wire connectors and re-wire them to accommodate the 3-wires, but, it was impossible to do so without bending the metal connectors, so I cut the stock connectors off, and used Posi-Lock connectors.


RED wire: spliced into stock left blinker wire and run to white wire on new socket; GREEN: spliced into stock right blinker wire and run to white wire on new socket. Stock running light wiring: yellow to yellow, black to black on new socket.


Here's a front view, before the blinker wires had been connected. The LEDs are on running light mode with the Fly running for this shot.


Re-wired rear sockets to get LEDs to light, dual load equalizer makes them blink normally. Secured with double-sided tape, fits perfectly into the metal casing behind ignition. Purple to left positive, brown to right positive, black to ground.


Blue splice for dual load equalizer; red for "sidelight." Using wires from one of the stock POD blinkers, I spliced it into the left-hand running light wires (it actually blinks slightly when the blinkers are on).


Here's an underexposed photo to show the stock headlight bulb and the sidelight LED, spliced into the stock running light wiring (pos+ground).


Painted black side deflectors glossy black.


Painted rear handrail glossy black.


Here's what the stock rear lights looked like.


Here's after the mods are complete. I like the clear blinker look much better.


Here's after the mods are complete with blinker on. Sorry, not the best photo.


I used dental floss to get the blue "Fly 4Tempi" stickers off.


It took about 1/2 hour using my too-short fingernails to scrape off the damn warning label!


This is an after shot, with right blinker on and left running light on.


Here's a cool night shot.


Here's an animation of what my Fly looks like running with the right blinker on. It's an animation so it doesn't blink at that exact speed; this looks a little fast.



Last edited by ajkostrow on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
 
Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 pm linkquote
Sweet!!!
Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:46 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17005
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17005
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:46 am linkquote
Is there any reason they don't already come like that over there???
Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:34 am

Member
vespa s 50cc
Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Posts: 13
Location: canada
 
Member
vespa s 50cc
Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Posts: 13
Location: canada
Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:34 am linkquote
good job but there is text missing on the wiring description can you put a diagram on thanks
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 am

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 2224
Location: San Antonio, TX
 
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 2224
Location: San Antonio, TX
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 am linkquote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Is there any reason they don't already come like that over there???
US DOT requires that blinkers be a certain width apart. To meet the US spec, they add those little blinker "pods" under the headset. This conversion is the way they are built for most other countries of the world.
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17005
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17005
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am linkquote
Killo wrote:
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Is there any reason they don't already come like that over there???
US DOT requires that blinkers be a certain width apart. To meet the US spec, they add those little blinker "pods" under the headset. This conversion is the way they are built for most other countries of the world.
I see thanks . Should have bought it over here then it would have come like that
Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:00 am

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 2224
Location: San Antonio, TX
 
Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....
Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 2224
Location: San Antonio, TX
Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:00 am linkquote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Killo wrote:
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Is there any reason they don't already come like that over there???
US DOT requires that blinkers be a certain width apart. To meet the US spec, they add those little blinker "pods" under the headset. This conversion is the way they are built for most other countries of the world.
I see thanks . Should have bought it over here then it would have come like that
You know how it is....once the government get involved, it cost twice as much, doesn't function as well, etc.
Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17005
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 17005
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 am linkquote
Killo wrote:
You know how it is....once the government get involved, it cost twice as much, doesn't function as well, etc.
well they're slowly killing off 2stroke in big cities in some countries just wating for them to say I can't ride mine anymore. I don't wanna have to go 4 stroke they are roughly 75%/cc (ci) weaker and dont sound half as nice to me. You can usually tell that a scooter is coming before you see it when you hear 2t. Dont notice a 4t scoot till it's in view.
Rant over
Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Member
vespa s 50cc
Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Posts: 13
Location: canada
 
Member
vespa s 50cc
Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Posts: 13
Location: canada
Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:46 pm linkquote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Killo wrote:
You know how it is....once the government get involved, it cost twice as much, doesn't function as well, etc.
well they're slowly killing off 2stroke in big cities in some countries just wating for them to say I can't ride mine anymore. I don't wanna have to go 4 stroke they are roughly 75%/cc (ci) weaker and dont sound half as nice to me. You can usually tell that a scooter is coming before you see it when you hear 2t. Dont notice a 4t scoot till it's in view.
Rant over
My S 4t 4 vlave is like a 2t less the soound...
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 pm

Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
 
Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 pm linkquote
phil001 wrote:
good job but there is text missing on the wiring description can you put a diagram on thanks
I fixed the missing text, and below made a wiring diagram (sorry for my less-than-adequate drawing skills).

RED circles: Posi-Lock connectors
BLUE circles: splice connectors for dual load equalizer
BLUE squares: splice connectors for wires to sidelight
BLACK circles: new 3-wire sockets
ORANGE circles: 1157 amber dual intensity LED bulbs
WHITE circle: sidelight
BLACK rectangle: dual load equalizer
Thick BLACK line: stock wiring harness
Thin BLACK line: wire spliced from stock running light positive and negative wire to sidelight
BLUE line: stock right blinker positive wire
PINK line: stock left blinker positive wire
RED line: new wire run from stock left blinker positive wire to white (gray) wire on new 3-wire socket
GREEN line: new wire run from stock right blinker positive wire to white (gray) wire on new 3-wire socket
--The negative stock blinker wires I snipped and left alone.--
YELLOW line: stock running light positive wire connected to yellow wire on new 3-wire socket (each side)
BLACK line: stock running light negative wire connected to black wire on new 3-wire socket (each side), also ground wire from dual load equalizer spliced into the stock running light negative (ground) wire
BROWN line: dual load equalizer right side blinker wire
PURPLE line: dual load equalizer left side blinker wire


Wiring diagram for project

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Petty Tyrant
0:7
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 32715
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Petty Tyrant
0:7
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 32715
Location: Bay Area, California
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm linkquote
Excellent first and second post. Thanks for posting this!
Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
 
Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 pm linkquote
jess wrote:
Excellent first and second post. Thanks for posting this!
Thanks, jess. I can't wait to do some additional mods, and I'll be posting about the instrument panel mods I did at some point as well.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Addicted
09 Triumph Bonnie, 06 Kymco P250, (Retired: 05 Stella , 08 Piaggio Fly150, 02 Yamaha Vino50, 07 Yamaha C3)
Joined: 11 May 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Brookline, Mass
 
Addicted
09 Triumph Bonnie, 06 Kymco P250, (Retired: 05 Stella , 08 Piaggio Fly150, 02 Yamaha Vino50, 07 Yamaha C3)
Joined: 11 May 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Brookline, Mass
Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm linkquote
Awesome post.
thanks
Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am

Member
2008 Fly 50
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 24
Location: Boston
 
Member
2008 Fly 50
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 24
Location: Boston
Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am linkquote
Truly brilliant! Thanks so much for posting this. I never had the time to dedicate to do this on my own. I'll wave if I see you!
Thu May 14, 2009 8:31 am

Hooked
'09 Dragon Red, GTS 250
Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 379
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Hooked
'09 Dragon Red, GTS 250
Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 379
Location: San Diego, CA
Thu May 14, 2009 8:31 am linkquote
What is the purpose of that little sidelight inside the headlight assembly?
Thu May 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
 
Member
Piaggio Fly 50
Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 6
Location: Boston, MA
Thu May 14, 2009 5:33 pm linkquote
DaniFly wrote:
Awesome post.
thanks
dephyler wrote:
Truly brilliant! Thanks so much for posting this. I never had the time to dedicate to do this on my own. I'll wave if I see you!
Thanks for the comments. Please do wave, or stop to chat, as DaniFly did just a few days ago! What color is your Fly?
ChillN wrote:
What is the purpose of that little sidelight inside the headlight assembly?
My understanding, from others on MV more knowledgeable than I, is that the sidelight (which isn't on Fly 150s) is for bikes made for countries that don't have daytime running light laws. These days, they may be a relic that haven't yet been purged from the manufacturing process (even in, say, Europe, where such laws, for all I know, now do exist).

My bike came with the bulb and wiring harness installed, but just not connected to anything, so for no particular reason, I just wanted to make it work so I spliced it into the left-side running light wiring.

The little LED I used in the sidelight pictured above, and a second identical LED which I also used for the rear license plate light, mysteriously burned out in unison several weeks ago, so I've replaced them with the original 5W incandescent bulbs (which don't have that blue-ish white LED hue, but might actually be brighter).

The blinkers, front and rear, are still working great, and look awesome.
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 pm linkquote
Re: The Ultimate Euro signal conversion - Piaggio Fly 50
ajkostrow wrote:
This post -- my first! -- has been a long time coming. Finally, after weeks of research, subsequent weeks of waiting for parts, then some frustrating days of troubleshooting, I got this mod done. Many thanks to all MV users -- and a special shout out to micbergsma -- for advice and expertise!

I have an Excalibur Grey Piaggio Fly 50, which I love (purchased August 2008 in Boston; have been riding all winter when not snowing or raining). As soon as I learned that the Fly's blinkers in Europe weren't those ugly DOT-approved pods, I wanted to do this mod, which I'd seen elsewhere in various forms on MV. Some people had simply replaced the stock incandescent running lights with LEDs, more ambitious folks had turned them into only blinkers, and one, with lots of cutting and ingenuity (which I didn't want to do and don't have), had actually added a 2nd bulb to the front running light lens housing and ended up with running lights and blinkers in front (these mods were not all on the Fly, but on the LX and other bikes). In a stroke of genius(?) and with the help of micbergsma, I figured that since the brake light on the Fly used a 3-wire socket and an 1157-type dual filament bulb (for a running light plus a brake light), I could use the same type of bulb in the front -- to make one bulb on each side for running lights and blinkers. I wanted to throw LED bulbs in all around too (since I'd already painted and upgraded the instrument panel to LEDs, which I'll try to make a post about another time), mainly for the look, but also for additional brightness and "instant-on" of LEDs.

I got all the bulbs from v-leds.com. The brake light was a simple swap, as was the rear license plate light. The blinkers, I thought, would be an easy fix too. Far from it. I realized that the low draw of LEDs caused them to blink fast. Then the rear amber LED blinkers wouldn't light. At all. In any configuration, with any LED bulb. I even returned bulbs and bought different more expensive ones, thinking the bulbs were the issue -- they weren't. The very last thing I figured out is that apparently, the wiring on the rear blinker sockets of the 2008 Fly is reversed -- positive to negative, negative to positive -- which apparently doesn't matter with the stock incandescent bulbs, but very much does with LEDs, which is why they wouldn't light. So, along with Signal Dynamics Corp's Dual Load Equalizer, all was finally fixed, and the blinkers were good to go.

As a part of this project, I did some accompanying basic paint and body work. The 2009 Flys have clear rear light lenses, which I really like, so I ordered clear blinkers lenses from a dealer, keeping the stock red one, which I liked. Now the rear blinkers look clear until they go on amber. I also replaced the front access panel with a black one, purely for looks (I should have painted it instead of buying it for $46!). I painted the rear hand rail and the side deflector strips black, and might paint the front mud guard and headlamp housing black eventually. I then removed the stick-on "Fly 4Tempi" from both sides, and the kick-start warning sticker, for a much cleaner all- around look.

Parts list:
2 3-wire 1157 sockets (original Piaggio parts), $13.80 each
2 left and right clear blinker housings, about $25 each
1 Red 1157 LED (rear brake), $20
2 Amber 1157 LED (front running + blinker), $20 each
2 Amber 1156 LED (rear blinker), $20 each
2 White 194 LED (license plate light and sidelight)
9 Posi-Lock connectors for 18-24 gauge wire, $8
1 Signal Dynamics Corp. Dual Load Equalizer, $20
misc. 18 gauge wire
black spray paint
metric allen keys to remove DOT blinker pods

Photos and explanations are below.
That looks AWESOME!! I have the 2009 so the tail lights are like that stock but i like the front turn signals! That is awesome! Oh i also love the Silver and black colors! makes it look so good! im about to mod my fly 50 soon like no other, i have some crazy plans but hopfully it will work.. lol but anyways great scooter!
Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Joined: 05 Dec 2007
Posts: 1773
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
 
Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Joined: 05 Dec 2007
Posts: 1773
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:53 pm linkquote
Very cool
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:00 pm linkquote
How did you get the head light cover thingy off? I'm trying to replace my bulb but i don't wanna break anything trying to take it off.
Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 40890
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 40890
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:26 pm linkquote
Asking in a new topic might have been less irritating, especially for those on dial-up who pay for the time on line.

Necro-posting (which you seem to be 'good' at) can sometimes be very reasonable - and sometimes not. Please:
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
 
Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 pm linkquote
VollgasHero wrote:
How did you get the head light cover thingy off? I'm trying to replace my bulb but i don't wanna break anything trying to take it off.
take the mirrors off, you will see a screw below the headlight and two on the back below the controls... I think that's all since I don't have fly for a year now.
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 pm linkquote
micbergsma wrote:
VollgasHero wrote:
How did you get the head light cover thingy off? I'm trying to replace my bulb but i don't wanna break anything trying to take it off.
take the mirrors off, you will see a screw below the headlight and two on the back below the controls... I think that's all since I don't have fly for a year now.
Oh okay thanks! I got it off, but the bulb the scooter store gave me didn't fit. So now i gotta go back, kinda annoyed. but thank you.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs475.snc3/26062_10150091071940191_531640190_11353901_6024031_n.jpg
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
 
Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm linkquote
right on, can you take a pic of the bulb? I want to see if it's h4 or a weird looking one
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:14 am

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:14 am linkquote
micbergsma wrote:
right on, can you take a pic of the bulb? I want to see if it's h4 or a weird looking one
Sure. The one i got from the store is supposedly the one that comes stock on the Fly 150, so we (sales men and i) thought that it would fit in the 50.

Stock bulb:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs455.snc3/26062_10150092125415191_531640190_11358797_1164912_n.jpg

After market bulb:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs425.ash1/23542_10150092131775191_531640190_11358814_3391309_n.jpg
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:15 am

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:15 am linkquote
VollgasHero wrote:
micbergsma wrote:
right on, can you take a pic of the bulb? I want to see if it's h4 or a weird looking one
Sure. The one i got from the store is supposedly the one that comes stock on the Fly 150, so we (sales men and i) thought that it would fit in the 50.

Stock bulb:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs455.snc3/26062_10150092125415191_531640190_11358797_1164912_n.jpg

After market bulb:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs425.ash1/23542_10150092131775191_531640190_11358814_3391309_n.jpg
Also thanks for the help man.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 am

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
 
Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 am linkquote
Ah yeah I knew it! That is a 35watt bulb.. Not that great. Aaron who started this thread, we talked about how to change it to hid bulb, I am gonna email Aaron about this..
Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:49 am

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:49 am linkquote
micbergsma wrote:
Ah yeah I knew it! That is a 35watt bulb.. Not that great. Aaron who started this thread, we talked about how to change it to hid bulb, I am gonna email Aaron about this..
Oh okay.. now what exactly is an HID bulb? Is it the full kit? Cause i am planning on getting a new scoot soon so i decide not to do any huge projects on this one, but bulb replacements and such. I am planning on just buying LED replacements for the turn signals (front and rear), LED running lights (lower front lights), LED tail light, and finally just an upgraded bulb that doesn't cost too much but improves lighting a bit.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
 
Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm linkquote
ah buy a new bike soon... just forget about HID kit.. replace stock bulbs for LEDs will be fine... easy job... when you get a new bike then do HID that way.. google "HID headlight" they will tell you what it is
Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
 
Molto Verboso
2003 ET4, 2005 LX 150, 1964 GS 160
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 1484
Location: Maui Hawaii
Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:41 pm linkquote
talked with him... he said he thinks headlight bulb is s2
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
 
Hooked
2009 Piaggio Fly 50 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 292
Location: Alpha, Georgia
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:17 pm linkquote
micbergsma wrote:
talked with him... he said he thinks headlight bulb is s2
Oh okay, thanks man!
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed between posts    ⬇️
Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Enthusiast
LX 150
Joined: 29 Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Location: Austin
 
Enthusiast
LX 150
Joined: 29 Aug 2011
Posts: 50
Location: Austin
Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm linkquote
ajkostrow wrote:
GREEN line: new wire run from stock right blinker positive wire to white (gray) wire on new 3-wire socket
--The negative stock blinker wires I snipped and left alone.--
Can anyone with electrical experience explain to me why the stock blinker negatives aren't necessary to blink lights in this version of the euro signal mod? Should the negatives be worked in somehow? Just curious.
Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Hooked
Vespa 50 Special, Honda CG125
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 283
Location: Bristol, UK
 
Hooked
Vespa 50 Special, Honda CG125
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 283
Location: Bristol, UK
Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 pm linkquote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
Killo wrote:
You know how it is....once the government get involved, it cost twice as much, doesn't function as well, etc.
well they're slowly killing off 2stroke in big cities in some countries just wating for them to say I can't ride mine anymore. I don't wanna have to go 4 stroke they are roughly 75%/cc (ci) weaker and dont sound half as nice to me. You can usually tell that a scooter is coming before you see it when you hear 2t. Dont notice a 4t scoot till it's in view.
Rant over
which cities are they doing that in? just so I know 8)

ty
  DoubleGood Vespa Design  

All Content Copyright 2005-2022 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0617s ][ Queries: 8 (0.0397s) ][ Debug on ][ 211 ][ Thing One ]