@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote

Vader takes on The World, one semi-government department at a time!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Persistence pays off. Good thinking AND schmoozin' there. Is that on your Super or it's 'portable'?

Admiring the color of that new tab. I'll have to make you a deal on my Primmy, tab would complement the OG orange nicely.
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
thats great Chris. im glad you made a break through. now stay the course and get the other 2 done. or, just switch the plates be-twix ye olde stable.

good job and dont forget to bring a book next time. i suggest a few...

@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:

Vader takes on The World, one semi-government department at a time!
Haaaaa good one Geronimo! Now if I could just meet a Mowtown fan at the IRS! For all the PITA it was, I am relieved to have behind me.

Rode back to work to find a package filled with EFL gears and Xmas tree from Travis (Thanks brother... 'twas an excellent experience as always)

JJ.. great choices.. I think I'd go w/ Capt. Ahab!
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
PITA it was, I am relieved to have behind me.
So the Super and the VNB, how will you go with them? Do you think you'll use the vintage vehicle scheme (whatever it's called)?
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
Vader19 wrote:
PITA it was, I am relieved to have behind me.
So the Super and the VNB, how will you go with them? Do you think you'll use the vintage vehicle scheme (whatever it's called)?
I've got the paperwork done and fee payed for the Super.. I just need to go to AAA to get someone to sign off on the vins and the speedo (Voodoo sent me one with a ton of miles on it) I'm still legal on that one from Michigan 'till December though. The VNB will have to wait a bit.. all these fees are winning me 0 points inside the house!
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
remind her its just one time fees. you gotta have them so they are legal. the tickets would be a lot more.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
jamesjohn wrote:
remind her its just one time fees. you gotta have them so they are legal. the tickets would be a lot more.
This.

And tell her if it was her life sustaining hobby, there wouldn't even be a discussion. Then run.
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
what ever you tell her....be nice. and dont forget to give her something in the deal as well.

I was told very early on....when you critique an employee always start with what they are doing correct then move to the actual "whats wrong" phase.

be careful, girls are very smart and stuff. all my luck are belong to you.
@vegasgeorge avatar
UTC

Banned
Homophobic Fuckwit

Banned
@vegasgeorge avatar
Homophobic Fuckwit
UTC quote
Today I ordered a Back Rest (Oh come on, that's got to be a sissy bar!), some touch up paint, and a set of torx bits for my scooter. I also rearranged the positioning of my scooter and golf cart to improve access for both. Had to go buy a longer charging cord for the cart.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
Go George! You're ready to launch now, eh.

And I am liking your new avatar, wish I'd found that. You did NOT make that, I can tell by the pixels, lol. I stole mine too.

Now that your mug is gone from the avatar, you could put it up HERE.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Packed and shipped my 10" super fork setup to a nice member here. Strange shapped "box" to buid.
Got a little pack of goodies from scootokc (great guy)! and then scooted up to a local MC shop just around the corner w/ J in a bit of drizzle (CA drizzle? wtf? ) and found, much to my delight this Dyno! They do MC's and scoots! Only thing more convinient would be in my garage (wishful thinking)
I hope to go over and A/B a couple/few pipes some time.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
nice kwacker there in the left Vader. I would like a go on a dyno. just for the jetting end of it really
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
...and found, much to my delight this Dyno! They do MC's and scoots! I hope to go over and A/B a couple/few pipes some time.
Nice, V! Would be great to see some 'real world' dynos, especially the a/b type on the same scooter.

They have a good bunch of dynos over on Scooterotica with some wild setups which is fun - http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6183
A bit more interesting in a way is this page - 'Standard Bolt-on Kit Dynos' http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=44&sid=37806480b983ad1d8474167db75aae3f
It's UK based, mostly Lambretta unfortunately.

Love that picture Jackson!
@vegasgeorge avatar
UTC

Banned
Homophobic Fuckwit

Banned
@vegasgeorge avatar
Homophobic Fuckwit
UTC quote
Today I rerouted the pigtail for my Battery Tender out the right foot peg. It worked great! Now, I just pop open the foot peg, pull out the pigtail and hook it up. Easy! And, I discovered that it is the same connector as used by my new Slime air pump. Neat! I also put a new Craftsman adjustable wrench in my tool bag on the scooter.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Surprise surprise
Holy torn skirts! For no other reason than to do it and see how it runs, I pulled the Pinasco I've been running (and surprisingly it's been running great) to put in a Polini, and low and behold I found this! ... I'm shocked because the bike has been running great, strong, stays cool and no funky noises.. and considering the barrel is completely smooth with absolutely no gouges or scratches at all, I'm not sure what happened and when this happened. I'm not sure where the missing metal went.. it didn't get into the cylinder!

There was apparently a big blow out on the innermost transfer Both Piston and cylinder skirts!

I'm not sure what caused this.. My plug has always looked great! both on top and down at the ring. I rode earlier today and it ran great.. which is a trip given the damage to these parts.
Looks like I'll open up the case and see what's what as soon as I can.

Changed the gear oil and nothing out of the ordinary there, the crank looked right when I was putting the Polini on... I didn't even notice this damage until I was cleaning up... When I pulled it, I looked at the head (some carbon but nothing shocking) and that was it.

Check it! Who's got an idea of the cause given the location of the breaks? Anything come to mind?
@joshzingzing avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@joshzingzing avatar
px200 cutdown,px180,px150. Puch SR. Puch scooterette
UTC quote
out the exhaust Whew emoticon
@jackson85 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jackson85 avatar
UTC quote
miracle that it didn't shred the barrel. even bigger one that it didn't happen while you were thrashing it. buy a lotto ticket
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Re: Surprise surprise
Vader19 wrote:
I'm not sure where the missing metal went..
It is now as one with the earth, grasshopper.

Seriously, there's not heaps of dings inside the crankcase? It would have had to break up fairly small to just disappear.
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
i would guess down the exhaust as well. very strange and lucky it did not do damage. i guess that piston really respects you and decided to not cause any trouble and just go about its own way. or fear.
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
So seeing as the ET4 decided to implode, I needed something to get me to and from work.

Put a deposit on this, this morning. Will pay the rest when I pick it up. Got it for pretty cheap. Liquid Cooled Gilera Runner VX (4st) 125cc. I did 80mph on it and then backed off the throttle, it wanted to keep going.

Should be reliable enough to get me to and from work.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Wowsa Vader , that is as close a call as it gets. Did you mic the bottom of the cylinder across whats left to see if it maybe had warped inward and pistons skirt came in contact. I'd be splitting the cases for closer inspection, perhaps the chunk got itself wedged in someplace and is welded itself to its new home.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Vader, maybe take your pipe off and shake, listen for a rattle. I guess you'll find the rest when you split the case. Meanwhile, as they say, Buddha was smiling at you.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
I shook the pipe that was on the bike about 3 weekss ago and there's gold in dem dar tubes!

Not sure when this happened but the kit was still running strong... no doubt would have cornbeefed me soon enough.

I'm gonna see if there's any more nuggets floating around in the new exhaust.

Funny you mentioned Buddha, I had a statue outside my place in Chicago, but left him behind for the new people! May he pissed at me for leaving him behind! You never
know!
@vegasgeorge avatar
UTC

Banned
Homophobic Fuckwit

Banned
@vegasgeorge avatar
Homophobic Fuckwit
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:
Go George! You're ready to launch now, eh.

And I am liking your new avatar, wish I'd found that. You did NOT make that, I can tell by the pixels, lol. I stole mine too.

Now that your mug is gone from the avatar, you could put it up HERE.
OK, photo is up. And I did do some work on the avatar. I flipped it horizontally, and changed the color of the scooter to match my Siena Ivory color, and set the background to match the forum (sort of). Laughing emoticon
@sammym avatar
UTC

Addicted
1965 Sprint 166, 2008 LXS150

Addicted
@sammym avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
I'd have welded if I had a welder and knew how to weld... but I don't and I don't.
But what would you have done if you you had the welder but didn't know how to weld? Razz emoticon
@vegasgeorge avatar
UTC

Banned
Homophobic Fuckwit

Banned
@vegasgeorge avatar
Homophobic Fuckwit
UTC quote
SammyM wrote:
But what would you have done if you you had the welder but didn't know how to weld? Razz emoticon
My best guess: He would have done the same thing as if he knew how to weld but didn't have the welder. Laughing emoticon
@vegasgeorge avatar
UTC

Banned
Homophobic Fuckwit

Banned
@vegasgeorge avatar
Homophobic Fuckwit
UTC quote
My big accomplishment today: I organized my Vespa keyring! Laughing emoticon
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
VegasGeorge wrote:
SammyM wrote:
My best guess: He would have done the same thing as if he knew how to weld but didn't have the welder. Laughing emoticon
Comedians ay! In Sammy's picture, I'd have blown a bunch of holes in all kinds of stuff, burned down the house and moved to guatemala to pick coffee beans..

In Georges picture, I'd have done the exact same thing.. minus the blowing holes in stuff and burning down the house! Razz emoticon

I'll let you both know when I either learn to weld or get a welder! maybe both? (different picture all together) This one, I move to guatemala and weld security gates for wealthy "coffee" plantation owners.
@sammym avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@sammym avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
VegasGeorge wrote:
SammyM wrote:
Comedians ay! In Sammy's picture, I'd have blown a bunch of holes in all kinds of stuff, burned down the house and moved to guatemala to pick coffee beans..
I was thinking maybe you would have made your stand shorter.
@rufio avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
borrowed time

Molto Verboso
@rufio avatar
borrowed time
UTC quote
Tried to play hookee from work today, was gonna ride all the way to the west side about 65 miles. Got half way there to meet up with buddies for breakfast in pasedena, then my office calls needing me to turn around. ahhhhh.........responsibilities!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
PHBL24 Carb

Today I worked on a buddy's old smallie & got his kitted motor unstuck. Next the top end comes off to see what the hell it is... It's got a giant DelOrto with a diecast Delly filter housing too. Never seen one before, but appears was on an aftermarket intake pipe.

Compared to 19/19 External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

AKP wrote:
So seeing as the ET4 decided to implode, I needed something to get me to and from work.

Put a deposit on this, this morning. Will pay the rest when I pick it up. Got it for pretty cheap. Liquid Cooled Gilera Runner VX (4st) 125cc. I did 80mph on it and then backed off the throttle, it wanted to keep going.

Should be reliable enough to get me to and from work.
Cheap FAST is good & yours looks unbeat plus good color!
Is that the quatro-sumpthin' motor with the 4 valves ? Yeah, those ARE fast TNGs for a mere 125cc! 80 mph & more on tap I haven't done, but I def believe from getting up to the speed limit+ in a hurry. Don't really want to race one with my mighty 2T 200cc Rally .

VADER! Double check that pretty little piece of metal you found.
I'm no expert, but you're in California & that definitely looks like gold to me.

quite shiny!
@rufio avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
borrowed time

Molto Verboso
@rufio avatar
borrowed time
UTC quote
Hey Vader......
This guy hopped out of his hoopty to pick this up when this blew out off your exhaust. He went to cash for gold and now is a proud owner of a pimp ass ford 350.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
very, very funny
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
But it turns out it wan't a gold nugget.. it was an old lead filling from my tooth that rattled loose and would up in the pipe when I was sucking on it trying to find an air leak! Razz emoticon Sorry guys.. no gold rush here.. the party will have to be postponed until said gold is found...

Oh!.. it turns out dog's DON'T eat gold!!!.. so I won't go down that route again!
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Thought I had an air leak after installing a new top end.. found one of my floats was wedged on the overflow tube in my carb bowl, fixed that, and it "seemed" to solve the up/down idle.. I thought it had something to do w/ the bowl filling or not filling.. Anyway, the problem came back I tracked it down for sure to the base gasket.. I'd reused the old one and it was a bit crumply.. .. started it 3 times, a little spray of started fluid directly at the cylinder to case connection and every time it died instantly... have a new gasket on the way.. a little permatex and new gasket should do the trick.. I'll check the surfaces while I'm at it. Damn.. I haven't had problem like I've had in the past week for a loooong time... maybe I was due... maybe the Buddha statue I left behind in Chicago is still angry.. whatever it is.. It's got to stop! whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa! Razz emoticon
Oh! I did slice my finger open on the flywheel cover while spinning the flywheel, so at least there's blood in all this... breathes a little life into an otherwise bromidic occasion!
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Set the timing on my super, put a nordloc washer on the flywheel for the F of it! then went to J's and helped him get his timing dialed in. I guess it was just one of those timing kinda Fridays..... Ok... TIME to get my dessert prepared to take to MOM'S tomorrow! Oh yeah.. DESSERT! What I live for! Razz emoticon

seriously though.
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
UTC quote
...ate too much, but got off my ass and ran new cables, installed new horn, installed new center stand feet, rode for an hour.
@sfvsr avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
a lambretta or two

Ossessionato
@sfvsr avatar
a lambretta or two
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
Check it! Who's got an idea of the cause given the location of the breaks? Anything come to mind?
I would think a result of making the window too large on the piston, but I wouldn't expect the barrel to break, only the piston. Kinda baffled by that. If it is a cast piston, if you tear off up the road before letting it warm up the piston the piston will expand pretty quickly, but I would have expected it to stall out/seize-up before that.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
Holy torn skirts! Who's got an idea of the cause given the location of the breaks? Anything come to mind?
I just came across this - http://www.eric-gorr.com/pdfs/2%20stroke%20top%20end%20and%20performance.pdf
It included a picture of a piston with a broken skirt with this description -
Quote:
Shattered skirt:
The skirts of this piston shattered because the piston-to-cylinder clearance was too great. When the piston is allowed to rattle in the cylinder bore, it develops stress cracks and eventually shatters.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.5300s ][ Queries: 5 (0.5099s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]