Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Banned
2:6

Banned
Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 pm linkquote
I got a coat of paint and shoe polish onto the bugeye leaf springs today. Oh crap, that's a different project.
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 pm

'64 Allstate w/Fireball motor, '61 Sears Compact, '04 Yamaha Vino 125, 1964 Allstate 125 w/stock motor

'64 Allstate w/Fireball motor, '61 Sears Compact, '04 Yamaha Vino 125, 1964 Allstate 125 w/stock motor
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 pm linkquote
The Sears Compact
The Sears Compact will be headed south to Florida for a few weeks for a shakedown cruise. The motor's been rebuilt, new tires and tubes, bigger gas tank, some "streamlining" (removal of legshields) and a few added gauges; a volt meter, a tach and a bicycle computer with 21 functions. The original Sears gauges were notoriously bad, reading 50mph when you were doing about 38. Hopefully I'll get the bicycle gauge dialed in. I've added a beefy luggage rack for the same 2.5 gallon Tourtank I used back in '06. I'll add that when I get back from Fla. It's also got a re-upholstered seat with added padding and very bright 6V Halogen headlight and a 6V LED taillight and 2 bicycle strobe taillights. I have a feeling I'll be leaving in the dark or coming in after dark and the extra lighting will come in handy. See you guys in April!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Hooked
LX150, GT200

Hooked
LX150, GT200
Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:25 pm linkquote
Re: Can
Scutrbrau wrote:
Bill Dog wrote:
We are going for the low - tech ( can't be arsed) strap it on the floor and hope for the best approach.
I doubt we'll save any real time but it will mean that we only have to fill up once a day which will be nice.

Bill X
I have to choose between putting the can on my front rack or floorboard. On the front means more wind resistance but happier feet. We'll see. I'll do a bunch of riding with it in both places to see what I like most.

I also need to experiment with lashing different things to the rack on my topcase. I don't want to stress it too badly since it's not exactly designed to be carrying weight on it but now that it's on there I want to make full use of it.
Rick/Bill, I mount my jerry can in the tunnel. I figured it will affect the handling less if it is mounted low and between the tires then higher and in front of the leg shield. For SCR2010 I used rok straps to strap down a 2 and 1/2 gallon no spill gas can. But as you can see the straps seriously impeded on my leg room and it sucked. For SCR2012 on the GT I am using the same setup I used for Amerivespa. I mounted a tunnel rack from Classic racks on top of the battery cover. I secured a 1 and 1/4 gallon no spill gas can. Since I have no straps impeding on my legs, when riding I don't even realize it is there. I can run a bigger gas can in the tunnel on the GT but if I need to open up the seat or the glove box I would need to remove the can every time which would suck ass. The 1 and 1/4 gallon is just short enough to open the seat and glove box for both to be useful without the extra effort/time to take the gas can out of the tunnel which Simon (Scooterme) had to do during SCR2010.

LX setup: (note, even after going down in the mud the can stayed on the bike the same cannot be said of it's owner)

GT setup:

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am

Addicted
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech

Addicted
Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am linkquote
I got the GTS running this weekend... to my knowledge missing 1 screw, you don't have to look hard to find it in the video.

Electronics + Headcase Reassembly this Thursday night.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 am

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 am linkquote
feb31st wrote:
I got the GTS running this weekend... to my knowledge missing 1 screw, you don't have to look hard to find it in the video.

Electronics + Headcase Reassembly this Thursday night.
but you camera speed is too fast to see anything. a helpful hint when taking videos, when filming and moving go extremely slow-baby speed, then when you review it you can actually see things instead of looking in fast forward at regular speed.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:37 am

Ossessionato
Looking for the next one, probably electric

Ossessionato
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:37 am linkquote
ScootChef wrote:
Just a few projects today:

1.) Remove top case so I'm ready to install the Tour Tank once I get the "a-okay, come over now" from the garage I'm working with.

2.) It's reflective tape day. I have about 30 yards of white reflective tape, so I should be fairly easy to spot in the dark.

3.) Stebel nautilus compact - I'm told it won't fit.....we'll just see about that.

4.) I almost forgot - 3M vinyl paint protection sheets to the cowls so the saddlebags don't damage the paint.

For you seasoned SCR riders, I have a question that only just came to mind this morning: rear crash bars on or off? It seems like every time I have maintenance done, the rear crash bars are removed. Since I'm anticipating some side of the road and parking lot wrenching, would the rear bars be a hinderance?
Regarding your Stebel horn, several responders have answered with advice as if you were installing a Stebel Nautilus, the very loud air compressor horn. The Stebel Compact is an electro/mechanical horn like the stock Vespa horn but larger and louder, although not as loud as the Nautilus. The Compact does not require a relay and is just "plug and play". It is substantially larger than the stock horn, but you should have no problem improvising a bracket to mount it near where the stock one came out. Once you get the horn cover off the front of the bike you should be able to figure it out, it's pretty obvious.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 am

The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:51 am linkquote
Tor2ga wrote:
ScootChef wrote:

1.) Remove top case so I'm ready to install the Tour Tank once I get the "a-okay, come over now" from the garage I'm working with.

2.) It's reflective tape day. I have about 30 yards of white reflective tape, so I should be fairly easy to spot in the dark.

3.) Stebel nautilus compact - I'm told it won't fit.....we'll just see about that.

4.) I almost forgot - 3M vinyl paint protection sheets to the cowls so the saddlebags don't damage the paint.

For you seasoned SCR riders, I have a question that only just came to mind this morning: rear crash bars on or off? It seems like every time I have maintenance done, the rear crash bars are removed. Since I'm anticipating some side of the road and parking lot wrenching, would the rear bars be a hinderance?
Regarding your Stebel horn, several responders have answered with advice as if you were installing a Stebel Nautilus, the very loud air compressor horn. The Stebel Compact is an electro/mechanical horn like the stock Vespa horn but larger and louder, although not as loud as the Nautilus. The Compact does not require a relay and is just "plug and play". It is substantially larger than the stock horn, but you should have no problem improvising a bracket to mount it near where the stock one came out. Once you get the horn cover off the front of the bike you should be able to figure it out, it's pretty obvious.
It is the Nautilus that she's installing.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 am

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:59 am linkquote
Scutrbrau wrote:
Tor2ga wrote:
ScootChef wrote:

Your right! I was just seeing the "compact". The LX is easier to get the Nautilus in as a unit than the GT where it is best divided. I put the compressor behind the left knee pad and ran a tube down to the horns behind the horn grill
Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 am

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super
Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:31 am linkquote
Tor2ga wrote:
Scutrbrau wrote:
Tor2ga wrote:
ScootChef wrote:

Your right! I was just seeing the "compact". The LX is easier to get the Nautilus in as a unit than the GT where it is best divided. I put the compressor behind the left knee pad and ran a tube down to the horns behind the horn grill
The packaging on my Stebel reads, "Stebel Nautilus Compact" http://tinyurl.com/7zmkqd2
Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 am

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 am linkquote
Tor2ga wrote:
Even though there's no shortage of threads in which people have said they've gotten them into a GTS and GTV, I remain baffled as to how it's possible. I tried really hard on my scooter and on Vanilla's GTV and I'm stumped. Once I split it, though, it was about as easy as can be. Like with a lot of projects it seems as if it ought to be very simple and straightforward but ends up being pretty frustrating before it's done.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 am

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 am linkquote
Question for experienced Cannonballers. It doesn't seem this route is taking us *too* far from gas stops. I have a couple of fuel bottles that I will bring with me, but with 150 miles easy on a tank of gas, I wasn't planning on installing an extra tank. I know the range is different for the smaller scoots. What do you think? If I start out full, I should be able to go most days only filling up once. Should I consider adding a spare tank?
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 am

Petty Tyrant
0:7

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 am linkquote
Tor2ga wrote:
I think what you're talking about is not the Compact, but the Magnum.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/stebel-magnum/
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 am

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:52 am linkquote
feb31st wrote:
Dude, why is your scooter smoking?
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 am

Ass of Granite
77 P200e

Ass of Granite
77 P200e
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 am linkquote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
Question for experienced Cannonballers. It doesn't seem this route is taking us *too* far from gas stops. I have a couple of fuel bottles that I will bring with me, but with 150 miles easy on a tank of gas, I wasn't planning on installing an extra tank. I know the range is different for the smaller scoots. What do you think? If I start out full, I should be able to go most days only filling up once. Should I consider adding a spare tank?
no you will be fine. it's my understanding that you are not really into the "competition" part of it. the aux tanks are mostly to cut down on stopping time for re-fueling...on the modern bikes, anyway.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 am

Addicted
250 Super

Addicted
250 Super
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:58 am linkquote
ScootChef wrote:
classic rider wrote:
Front and (hopefully if I can find one) rear rack plus floor for gear and supplies.
Wait, wait, wait! Are you looking for a rear rack for your rally? A club mate might have one. I'll check. He had it last week. Maybe he'll donate to the cause.
Thanks. I'm trying to get a "Madrid" rack, and have been working with Gene and Andrea at Scooters Originali, who in turn have been working with their source in the UK. As April draws closer, it will be time to consider backup options.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am linkquote
Acid_055 wrote:
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
no you will be fine. it's my understanding that you are not really into the "competition" part of it. the aux tanks are mostly to cut down on stopping time for re-fueling...on the modern bikes, anyway.
That's correct. Having spare fuel with you is definitely a good idea, but the aux tank is really just the competitive part of it.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am linkquote
GeorgiaGirl wrote:
The fuel stops get more spread out the farther west we travel. You might want to consider bringing a fuel can along on your truck that you can start using once we hit west Texas.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am linkquote
P.S. Anyone using a tour tank should be required to also wear a catheter while riding. You wanna go the distance, you gotta pay the price.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 am

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 am linkquote
Scutrbrau wrote:
P.S. Anyone using a tour tank should be required to also wear a catheter while riding. You wanna go the distance, you gotta pay the price.
I'm game.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Banned

Banned
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am linkquote
I have not done a detailed look yet, but I don't think we have more than 100 miles between fuel.

In 08 we had one stretch with 200 miles, but think we are mostly ok this time.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 am

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 am linkquote
jess wrote:
Scutrbrau wrote:
I'm game.
We know you are.

I didn't mean to start another pee discussion since there was enough of it in the other CBR thread but I figure it's appropriate here since a catheter is just another kind of mod.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 pm linkquote
If you're gonna run with a catheter, you better check the route so that you don't pee on the highway where it is prohibited.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm linkquote
...and it's back to pee.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm linkquote
TheO.Z. wrote:
...and it's back to pee.
And somehow it seems it's always me dragging the thread back down.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)

Moderatus Rana
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 pm linkquote
You need a five minute time out mister. Go to the corner.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 pm

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 pm linkquote
stickyfrog wrote:
I did. I peed in it.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm linkquote
Scutrbrau wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
I did. I peed in it.

Thanks. I'm having a crappy day. I think that was the first I've laughed or smiled all day.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Moderatus Rana

Moderatus Rana
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:11 pm linkquote
Man I really put that one on a tee for you.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:39 pm linkquote
stickyfrog wrote:
Man I really put that one on a pee for you.
Fixed that for you.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Moderatus Rana

Moderatus Rana
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:41 pm linkquote
One more good laugh for the day before I jump on me scoot and head home.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:22 pm linkquote
jess wrote:
Scutrbrau wrote:
I'm game.
After 8 days on the road THAT'S GAMEY.

They have a real nice shower at Vespa Motorsports. Just bring your own towel.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm linkquote
14perry wrote:
After 8 days on the road THAT'S GAMEY.
I think you're missing the essence of what the catheter does.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm linkquote
Its the other essences from the journey that may interfere with the abiliity to savoir Bbq.

Also Jess please use an external. Thought of 3,000 miles with a tube stuck in the fun factory is not pleasant.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:31 pm linkquote
14perry wrote:
Also Jess please use an external. Thought of 3,000 miles with a tube stuck in the fun factory is not pleasant.
Thanks for the advice, but please keep in mind I've done this before.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm linkquote
I'm sure you are a seasoned pro at this. Travis keeps on me to do the Aussie lap ride. But my back and wife won't allow it

And the most pain I have ever felt was from an internal catheter. I swear that tube was covered in ground up broken glass.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 pm

Addicted
1980 P200e, 1956 ACMA, 1979 P200e, 1974 Ciao

Addicted
1980 P200e, 1956 ACMA, 1979 P200e, 1974 Ciao
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:06 pm linkquote
p200, Malossi, Vortex, Hot Wing
Just test fired my bike with, what I hope, will be my Cannonball motor configuration. Still have to dial things in, but it runs well, and it's pretty peppy.

Mike
Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:31 am

Addicted

Addicted
Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:31 am linkquote
jess wrote:
feb31st wrote:
Dude, why is your scooter smoking?
hahaha. it was the fresh round of cheap black paint on the exhaust down pipe and probably grease from my hands from the install. it stopped a few minutes later.
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 am

Banned

Banned
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 am linkquote
secret sauce
New gears!

With the 17/44 up gear and the higher redline of the GT engine, should hit max power at 85mph and the limiter at 98mph.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm

The Beer Guy

The Beer Guy
Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:32 pm linkquote
Re: secret sauce
oopsclunkthud wrote:
New gears!

With the 17/44 up gear and the higher redline of the GT engine, should hit max power at 85mph and the limiter at 98mph.
It's a good thing this isn't a race
Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Moderatus Rana

Moderatus Rana
Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 pm linkquote
They sure are shiny. What do they do again?
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  

All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Shop on Amazon Smile with Modern Vespa

[ Time: 0.0753s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0285s) ][ Debug on ][ 209 ][ Thing One ]