MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
YaYaDave wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
I have found lately, shops around here won't install your parts any more.
You have them get the parts or they won't work on it.

The problem is, there are LOTS and LOTS of cheap and sometimes unsafe Chinese parts being imported into the US and shops don't want to be responsible when the parts fail and someone gets killed.
not to mention they don't make any money on them as well. Which is a big profit area to dealers.
I'm sure you're just cynical.
Clown emoticon Clown emoticon Clown emoticon
Shops mark up parts 20%-40%, but they get them cheaper than you would by 10%-30%
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400

Hooked
MP3 400
UTC quote
Is it all models or just the 500
It would be helpful when someone here has it done to ask if it also applies to the 250 or 400 also.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Re: Is it all models or just the 500
FredChiTown wrote:
It would be helpful when someone here has it done to ask if it also applies to the 250 or 400 also.
There was an update for the 400 MP3 in the late fall.
MY Piaggio Dealer wrote:
From my experience the Mp3 400 map is the most important, because I have seen brand new bikes have cold start stalling issues with the older maps. If you encounter any mp3 400s running the 1232GN2C or 1233GN2N, remap the ECU.

(The 1233GN2N (available 3/2010) used to be the improved map for bikes running 1232GN2C, but both have been superseded to 1233GN2O)
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: Is it all models or just the 500
FredChiTown wrote:
400 as well. no known issues with the 250.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500 & Zero SR

Hooked
UTC quote
Got my update done today at Sloan's. It only took them 15-20 min. When the service guy brought mike bike out, he put it on the kickstand. I stood to the left of the scoot and pulled it forward off the kickstand and it immediately fell on the right side. Apparently he didn't lock the tilt lock. The fall scrapped the front side panel and broke off the side view mirror. I've only ridden it about 10 min after the update so I can't tell you if it fixed anything as of yet.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
I'd be pissed.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
Got my update done today at Sloan's. It only took them 15-20 min. When the service guy brought mike bike out, he put it on the kickstand. I stood to the left of the scoot and pulled it forward off the kickstand and it immediately fell on the right side. Apparently he didn't lock the tilt lock. The fall scrapped the front side panel and broke off the side view mirror. I've only ridden it about 10 min after the update so I can't tell you if it fixed anything as of yet.
guess that pretty much tells me where I will go for my update when needed or I can get away for it.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
I'd be pissed.
Only one he could get pissed at is himself. It was on the center stand, why would you assume the tilt lock was on
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
StooterBoy wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I'd be pissed.
Only one he could get pissed at is himself. It was on the center stand, why would you assume the tilt lock was on
Because anyone who had handled the bike would know there's practically no fuckin way you're going to get off the bike and put it ON the centerstand without the tilt lock being on.
Show me a video of someone getting off the bike, with the tilt lock off and putting it on the centerstand without using the tilt lock and without dropping that mutha.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I'd be pissed.
Because anyone who had handled the bike would know there's practically no fuckin way you're going to get off the bike and put it ON the centerstand without the tilt lock being on.
Show me a video of someone getting off the bike, with the tilt lock off and putting it on the centerstand without using the tilt lock and without dropping that mutha.
My tilt lock needs to be bled as the alarm goes off if I haven't ridden in a while with the tilt lock on; so I have been just getting off and using the centerstand. Just use a little care and it's easy.
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
UTC quote
heinlein wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I'd be pissed.
My tilt lock needs to be bled as the alarm goes off if I haven't ridden in a while with the tilt lock on; so I have been just getting off and using the centerstand. Just use a little care and it's easy.
Weird thing mine does that too at random occasions. I started mine the other day while standing on the side, put my helmet on and hopped on - and damn near went over as the mushy lock let it wobble *way* over! I was absolutely unprepared since I got no alarm when starting. I'd just ridden it an hour prior to this.
Anyway - I take it back - I'm sure it *could* be done with mucho care. But most folks realize it's far easier and lock the dang thing before getting off. The chances are pretty good whomever put it on the centerstand then unlocked it after - thus the "I'd be pissed" statement.
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
here's a ... 'WTF' with Vespa Dallas ... after reading all this good stuff about the mapping update.

Vespa Dallas mechanics told me on Wednesday (yesterday) that there was NO Mapping Updates. That Europe had an update, but that was for the many people that ride their MP3s within the cities of Europe, cause the speed limit is 40mph. So Piaggio came out with a way to prevent the MP3 getting up over 40mph.
And that the update would just reduce the performance to the MP3.

Which reading this and the other feed dealing with the Mapping ... I'm not sure if I can trust Vespa Dallas to tell me something correct about this update.

In fact, I've got someone there looking up the cost of city grips cause I have no clue as to when the tires on my used MP3 500 was put on new ... when they send me the cost I'm going to write back and ask them if they have the Navigator in the shop.

Cause if they don't, that would explain why they are trying to blow smoke up my ... well ... I'll see what they say. When I get that email.

When people seem to be getting better results in performance with the update mapping. For VD telling me it doesn't apply to the US.

FM
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
I'd be pissed.
My tilt lock hasn't been working since I got it back from the dealer for the bearing fix 2 weeks ago. Been getting off and putting on the center stand for 2 weeks, just dropped it back off at the dealer on Tuesday. It's easy as hell, the step through is a life save when the top bag is on.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
here's a ... 'WTF' with Vespa Dallas ... after reading all this good stuff about the mapping update.

Vespa Dallas mechanics told me on Wednesday (yesterday) that there was NO Mapping Updates. That Europe had an update, but that was for the many people that ride their MP3s within the cities of Europe, cause the speed limit is 40mph. So Piaggio came out with a way to prevent the MP3 getting up over 40mph.
And that the update would just reduce the performance to the MP3.

Which reading this and the other feed dealing with the Mapping ... I'm not sure if I can trust Vespa Dallas to tell me something correct about this update.

In fact, I've got someone there looking up the cost of city grips cause I have no clue as to when the tires on my used MP3 500 was put on new ... when they send me the cost I'm going to write back and ask them if they have the Navigator in the shop.

Cause if they don't, that would explain why they are trying to blow smoke up my ... well ... I'll see what they say. When I get that email.

When people seem to be getting better results in performance with the update mapping. For VD telling me it doesn't apply to the US.

FM
I hope you had your work boots on, because they were feeding you a line of shit a mile high. What ASSES!!
@socalbeast avatar
UTC

Piaggio MP3 500

@socalbeast avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
re: mapping
I went to have service done on my MP3 500 and thought while it was there to go ahead a have the mapping done. I called and asked the manager if they had the navagator and he informed me that they did. So after getting him to do the mapping update. Some of the service wasn't done and the mapping wasnt done due to not having the right tools or knowledge to do this. I have taken the bike to this shop before and have had to tell them how to do things. I guess I should be the one doing the work rather than them getting paid for it. Anyway...my question is How do you know that they actually have the right navagator for the mapping?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: re: mapping
socalbeast wrote:
I went to have service done on my MP3 500 and thought while it was there to go ahead a have the mapping done. I called and asked the manager if they had the navagator and he informed me that they did. So after getting him to do the mapping update. Some of the service wasn't done and the mapping wasnt done due to not having the right tools or knowledge to do this. I have taken the bike to this shop before and have had to tell them how to do things. I guess I should be the one doing the work rather than them getting paid for it. Anyway...my question is How do you know that they actually have the right navagator for the mapping?
once they plug the unit in and open the computer up to piaggio , they should talk and the update should come up automatically and ask if they want to down load and install.
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
BubbaJon wrote:
I don't have video but that is EXACTLY what I had to do last friday night when my nutty malfunction happened. I then had to take it back off the stand, walk it two blocks, re-stand it, come back for it later, un-stand it, push it up onto a trailer, and properly strap it down, and reverse to get it back off the trailer, all without the tilt lock. Wha? emoticon
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Well I got my map update.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Well I got my map update.
It looks like this would be applicable to the 250 as well. Laughing emoticon
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
holy crap! that happened to me too! in the middle of a turn.
norCal Randy wrote:
Unless customers complain to the Fed. Govt. about something, there is no recall announcement made and it is voluntary for the mfg. to do it on their own. So those that have issues should let the Govt. know for them to demand a recall of the mfg. Squeaky wheel get's the grease.

Twice I've had the motor die unexpectedly while turning in front of oncoming traffic. To correct the issue I 1st have to stop the scooter completely before I can start the motor again in front of oncoming traffic !! Wha? emoticon Not a nice moment. I could get run over when this happens.
I was lucky enough to think of using light rear brake pressure to allow the interlock to let me restart the motor, so didnt have to come to complete stop mid turn, but man would I have been pissed (think " call my lawyer" pissed) if it happened in mid turn in mid intersection!

I originally bought for my daughter, i shudder to think what would happen if she experienced this either straight in traffic, or mid turn...brrrr...

Ive returned to dealer once already (pointed out stalling problem when it went in for break in service) when it stalled three times in stop and go traffic, twice in THICK rush hour traffic on Wilshire Blvd and Sawtelle. tech told me "reset" efi controller and should fix prob. (I notice he didnt say "updated mapping")

most recently stalled mid turn, thank god not in thick rush hour traffic.

how the hell can this NOT have been a recall already given how many just here on MV have experienced this? and how can no one have gotten injured or killed yet?!?

makes me so mad I just want to ...

and I thought the "cheap ass traction control" used by Honda on the new VFR1200 (crippled mapping in 1 n 2nd gear to reduce power below 5000rpm) was irritating.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: holy crap! that happened to me too! in the middle of a t
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
Unless customers complain to the Fed. Govt. about something, there is no recall announcement made and it is voluntary for the mfg. to do it on their own. So those that have issues should let the Govt. know for them to demand a recall of the mfg. Squeaky wheel get's the grease.

Twice I've had the motor die unexpectedly while turning in front of oncoming traffic. To correct the issue I 1st have to stop the scooter completely before I can start the motor again in front of oncoming traffic !! Wha? emoticon Not a nice moment. I could get run over when this happens.
I was lucky enough to think of using light rear brake pressure to allow the interlock to let me restart the motor, so didnt have to come to complete stop mid turn, but man would I have been pissed (think " call my lawyer" pissed) if it happened in mid turn in mid intersection!

I originally bought for my daughter, i shudder to think what would happen if she experienced this either straight in traffic, or mid turn...brrrr...

Ive returned to dealer once already (pointed out stalling problem when it went in for break in service) when it stalled three times in stop and go traffic, twice in THICK rush hour traffic on Wilshire Blvd and Sawtelle. tech told me "reset" efi controller and should fix prob. (I notice he didnt say "updated mapping")

how the hell can this NOT have been a recall already given how many just here on MV have experienced this? and how can no one have gotten injured or killed yet?!?

and I thought the "cheap ass traction control" used by Honda on the new VFR1200 (crippled mapping in 1 n 2nd gear to reduce power below 5000rpm) was irritating.
Your in LA . I don't know who you bought oyur scoot from but go to Vespa Sherman Oaks and sched a time to get the new mapping updates.
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:

Your in LA . I don't know who you bought oyur scoot from but go to Vespa Sherman Oaks and sched a time to get the new mapping updates.
Not so easy; it has been back to VespaSO, for the break in service, and Drew was informed about the stalling problem. Drew did something, and it still stalls, as noted in previous post, this time mid-turn.

I trust the guys at VespaSO and like them, so I've had a "heart to heart" and it's going back in next week.

Apparently there are TWO reprogs available, with two ECU's, and apparently updating the mapping on the EFI is NOT an automatic be all and end all to this problem. Apparently, the stalling problem is related to the tilt lock ECU controller...

I did ask (thanks, MV! and all you regulars) if they have the Navigator, and the reply was "Of course."

And so the mystery continues...
@lcandela avatar
UTC

'10 BV 500, '12 Triumph Bonneville

@lcandela avatar
'10 BV 500, '12 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:

You're right, nothing will be done unless NHTSA gets complaints.

Here is the web address to report a complaint for those having safety problems.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
lcandela wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:

thanks for the link.

I just filed mine heres the number 10452074.

Folks everyone needs to file a complaint so piaggio is forced into a recall notification to all registered owners.
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
thanks, agreed.
short post version - everyone who have had more than one unexpexcted and abnormal "stall" should do this, before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

long answer :

I understand about not panicking.

I understand about not knee jerking.

I understand about the need for short pithy posts that clearly outline the issues and a hoped for resolution.

I understand about not carried away with emotion and anger or frustration and clouding, unproductively, the discussion.

but the fact of the matter is,

a. this has the potential for being a VERY serious, dangerous problem, frankly not much less serious than Toreador Pants or lane splitting, imho more so - I can CHOOSE Toreador Pants or not, lane split or not. I have ZERO control over when and where the stall occurs. In front of a big rig who barely sees me anyway? turning in front of a soccer mom in her land yacht with her kids in full scream?

b. the new mapping, if in fact that's what it is, has been out since at least Feb. 15, when Bubba Jon had it done. so look at the comments of the other posters and their experiences;

look at how few dealers who even want or should know about it, seem to NOT know about it. this doesnt even consider all those playing dumb or lazy...

Jim, Feb 15 to Mar 17 is at least a month, and I dont recall Bubba Jon writing he was the very first one in the US having it done the second it was available.

so Piaggio needs to bust their balls to let all dealer service departments know this is available, and HIGHLY recommended, and some action needs to be taken akin to a recall (legal recall or not I really dont care) to let all MP3 owners know this and recommend having it done.

if indeed this is the solution.

stalling while stopped is irritating, even dangerous.

stalling while moving, both slowing down, steady state, or accelerating (I experienced all three) is DANGEROUS.

I didnt realize how dangerous until I stalled mid turn, then saw how many other people have experienced stall outs, then read NORCAL Randy's shared experience mid turn in traffic.
old as dirt wrote:
lcandela wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:

thanks for the link.

Folks everyone needs to file a complaint so piaggio is forced into a recall notification to all registered owners.
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
WTF? I typed ATGATT but it posted as Toreador Pants!?! nt
WanderingPurist wrote:
short post version - everyone who have had more than one unexpexcted and abnormal "stall" should do this, before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

long answer :

I understand about the need for short pithy posts that clearly outline the issues and a hoped for resolution.

I understand about not carried away with emotion and anger or frustration and clouding, unproductively, the discussion.

a. this has the potential for being a VERY serious, dangerous problem, frankly not much less serious than Toreador Pants or lane splitting, imho more so - I can CHOOSE Toreador Pants or not, lane split or not. I have ZERO control over when and where the stall occurs. In front of a big rig who barely sees me anyway? turning in front of a soccer mom in her land yacht with her kids in full scream?

b. the new mapping, if in fact that's what it is, has been out since at least Feb. 15, when Bubba Jon had it done. so look at the comments of the other posters and their experiences;

look at how few dealers who even want or should know about it, seem to NOT know about it. this doesnt even consider all those playing dumb or lazy...

Jim, Feb 15 to Mar 17 is at least a month, and I dont recall Bubba Jon writing he was the very first one in the US having it done the second it was available.

so Piaggio needs to bust their balls to let all dealer service departments know this is available, and HIGHLY recommended, and some action needs to be taken akin to a recall (legal recall or not I really dont care) to let all MP3 owners know this and recommend having it done.

stalling while moving, both slowing down, steady state, or accelerating (I experienced all three) is DANGEROUS.

I didnt realize how dangerous until I stalled mid turn, then saw how many other people have experienced stall outs, then read NORCAL Randy's shared experience mid turn in traffic.
old as dirt wrote:
lcandela wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:

thanks for the link.

@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
aaargh! again! A T G A T T not Toreador Pants!
this is so stupid it's funny

and I cant get the system to edit for some reason...sorry for the three posts...
WanderingPurist wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:

long answer :

old as dirt wrote:
lcandela wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:

thanks for the link.

@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
WanderingPurist wrote:
Not so easy; it has been back to VespaSO, for the break in service, and Drew was informed about the stalling problem. Drew did something, and it still stalls, as noted in previous post, this time mid-turn.

I trust the guys at VespaSO and like them, so I've had a "heart to heart" and it's going back in next week.

Apparently there are TWO reprogs available, with two ECU's, and apparently updating the mapping on the EFI is NOT an automatic be all and end all to this problem. Apparently, the stalling problem is related to the tilt lock ECU controller...

I did ask (thanks, MV! and all you regulars) if they have the Navigator, and the reply was "Of course."

So just get both updates...not seeing why that would be an issue.
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
too much of this discussion is incomplete or based on
incomplete or erroneous (intentional or not.) info.

what's the problem, why not just get both updates?

a. drew may or may not know about this "latest" update (in the thusands od words spent on the subject so far, I havent seen or missed a definitive version or rev #)

b. Drew told me Piaggio specifically told him NOT to do the previous EFI ecu update unless there was a specific reason to

c. no one else has mentioned the tilt lock ecu update in these discussions (except Drew)

d. we're still not sure (Drew and I) if the update everyone is referring to here is one he knows about already or not.

clear as mud yet?

in the meantime, lots here are still confused; lots of dealers dont know or pretend not to know, and those that dont read these boards probably dont know they are an accident waiting to happen.
Sidecutter wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:

So just get both updates...not seeing why that would be an issue.
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Took My 09 500 in to Vespa of Dallas about 3 weeks ago and told Robert about the update. Robert said they would not know until after they hooked it up, it showed there was an update out there that addressed the stalling problem. Cost me 85 dollars to have it installed. No more stalling problems so far. I have always been very pleased with Robert and the rest of the staff at Vespa of Dallas. I understand not all of the mp3s need the update. Just what I have been told. Not sure if it is so or not. I believe some have had it done cheaper elsewhere. I can see where some would be upset. A person could be hit in the rear.

I worked at a auto parts rebuilder once. A certain amount of defect was considered normal. Cheaper to replace the defected part than to tool up for zero defects. Good for the bottom line. Or so they thought. They went bankrupt Years ago. Couple of hundred people lost their jobs. Sure hope that is not Vespa's attitude.
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Re: too much of this discussion is incomplete or based on
WanderingPurist wrote:
incomplete or erroneous (intentional or not.) info.

what's the problem, why not just get both updates?

a. drew may or may not know about this "latest" update (in the thusands od words spent on the subject so far, I havent seen or missed a definitive version or rev #)

b. Drew told me Piaggio specifically told him NOT to do the previous EFI ecu update unless there was a specific reason to

c. no one else has mentioned the tilt lock ecu update in these discussions (except Drew)

d. we're still not sure (Drew and I) if the update everyone is referring to here is one he knows about already or not.

clear as mud yet?
Sorry, but I still don't see the problem. He won't know about the updates if he's ever hooked a bike up after they were released and had them be found. So have him do that, and they will show up. And tell him you want the update regardless, because frankly, you DO have a reason to do it.

Sorry, but it seems pretty clear to me you simply need to press your mechanic to do the job here...and if he won't, then find the next closest mechanic with the tool and get it done.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
guess that pretty much tells me where I will go for my update when needed or I can get away for it.
I will get to Sloans sometime soon for it.

Maybe we can do a swap - I'll take yours home from Little Swiss and get you the update and the we can meet somewhere to swap back. I'm half joking, but willing to do it if you want.

Also, have spare bedroom at the casa with your name on it if you need it.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
That is interesting - same thing happened to me following service at Sloans a couple of years ago, except I managed to save it.

Sounds like the Sloans techs need a parking lessons.
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
TN_Sooner wrote:
emtkopan wrote:
That is interesting - same thing happened to me following service at Sloans a couple of years ago, except I managed to save it.

Sounds like the Sloans techs need a parking lessons.
I think it's best to assume any time that if it's on the center stand, it's off the tilt lock. It may end up being locked, but it's a lot less embarrassing to try to catch a stable bike than to not catch an unlocked one...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I find that the bike is just heavy. Maybe a smaller Vespa, I can easily set it on the center stand and off but not my MP3. I have to stand next to it with my hand on the left handlebar/brake and my right hand on the rear bracket just to move it off and on the center stand. Even then, I force it in either direction. With the center stand up, there would be no way my feet could touch the ground to even get it down safely. Because of this, I rarely use the center stand at all when parking. If it wasn't such a hassle for me I would probably use it more often.
@maynard_schweigert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
MP3 500
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
I find that the bike is just heavy. Maybe a smaller Vespa, I can easily set it on the center stand and off but not my MP3. I have to stand next to it with my hand on the left handlebar/brake and my right hand on the rear bracket just to move it off and on the center stand. Even then, I force it in either direction. With the center stand up, there would be no way my feet could touch the ground to even get it down safely. Because of this, I rarely use the center stand at all when parking. If it wasn't such a hassle for me I would probably use it more often.
Are you stepping on the center-stand with the bike dead still. Or moving it backwards than stepping down on the center-stand ?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
emtkopan wrote:
Are you stepping on the center-stand with the bike dead still. Or moving it backwards than stepping down on the center-stand ?
Dead still.
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
MP3 500
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
emtkopan wrote:
Dead still.
The easiest way is to roll the bike backwards using its weight & momentum to lift it upon the center-stand when you step down on it.
Give it a try, practice makes perfect.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Really? I've been doing it wrong the whole time? I hope I haven't been doing anything else wrong. What's the best way to take it off the center stand?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
Really? I've been doing it wrong the whole time? I hope I haven't been doing anything else wrong. What's the best way to take it off the center stand?
almost the reverse. hold the left handlebar and the rear passenger grab rail, then with your foot toe pointed forward and tilted to the front of the scoot slightly lift with your right hand on the grab rail and push forward, keeping your toe and foot on the center stand and releasing just as it comes past the forward roll point.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0412s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0340s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]