OP
@darklinks614 avatar
UTC

1979 Vespa p200e in parts

@darklinks614 avatar
UTC quote
On my Vespa p200e the sticker vin tag is super faded can I get another vin tag somewhere? I am also wondering also I getting it painted so as it needs it? I was wondering if this is legal or I am stick with a unreadable stick or there a place I can have them put all the info on a new sticker?
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
UTC quote
I tore mine off. It's just ugly anyway in my opinion. I never had any issue with it legal wise here in Texas.

If you really want one, there is someone out there making reproduction VIN plates, I think. try the search or google. Maybe someone here has the link.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
I don't know about your state, but in California replacing it is considered tampering with the VIN, and is frowned upon if they detect it.
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
UTC quote
Len Smith wrote:
I don't know about your state, but in California replacing it is considered tampering with the VIN, and is frowned upon if they detect it.
Just curious. How do you deal with that sticker, when doing a restoration? Do you have to strip and paint around it somehow?
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
astromags wrote:
Len Smith wrote:
Just curious. How do you deal with that sticker, when doing a restoration? Do you have to strip and paint around it somehow?
I can only speak to my own experience here in CA. On my last rebuild, mine was demolished by the blaster who forgot to cover it, so I ordered a replacement. When I was done with the build, and had the VIN inspection, the CHP officer who did the inspection told me that he understood what I was doing, but it *could* be construed as fraud, because I was installing a VIN plate in lieu of the Manufacturer's VIN plate. He told me the likelihood that any other officer would recognize it as not original would be slim to none, but that I should never do it again.

In CA, when you are missing the foil type of VIN plate, they just issue you a cheesy VIN sticker at the CHP, and that becomes your new VIN number.
OP
@darklinks614 avatar
UTC

@darklinks614 avatar
UTC quote
There is the frame vin and motor vin can I get away with just that or does there need to be there old faded nasty sticker?
@travisnj avatar
UTC

Primasarah
1979 P200E, 1977 Rally 200, 1974 Primavera

Primasarah
@travisnj avatar
1979 P200E, 1977 Rally 200, 1974 Primavera
UTC quote
I used the frame vin when I applied to NJ for titling a vehicle without a title.
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
UTC quote
darklinks614 wrote:
There is the frame vin and motor vin can I get away with just that or does there need to be there old faded nasty sticker?
When I had mine inspected for a bonded title, the officer was clueless. I think most of them now days will be, in regards to vespas. I think if you show them the frame vin number you would be good.

If you're worried give the DMV a call and ask.

I've found in the past, when registering old vehicles, it's always best to play dumb, and never give them too much information. Most of those people don't have a clue as to what is exactly right or not, and rather than them have to put forth the extra effort to find out, they will just sign off and take your money and send you on your way.

That's Texas though. It's still cowboys and indians out here. YEE HAW!
⬆️    About 4 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Vespa T5 Classic

Lurker
Vespa T5 Classic
UTC quote
VIN Plate Website vinplatetag.co.uk
The www.vinplatetag.co.uk website sells a range of good quality aluminium VIN plates.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E

Molto Verboso
Lambretta GP200, Vespa P200e, Motovespa do Brasil PX200E
UTC quote
on a P you dont need the foil sticker - your vin is stamped on the frame. Registered many P series without. No issues
@rob98801 avatar
UTC

Addicted
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3

Addicted
@rob98801 avatar
85 Vepsa PX150E with sidecar, 80 P200 with sidecar, 96 Goldwing with Hannigan Sidecar, LR87aj5, LR91aj3
UTC quote
almogavar1969 wrote:
on a P you dont need the foil sticker - your vin is stamped on the frame. Registered many P series without. No issues
State to State, Officer to Officer.

I had a new vin sticker on my fresh restoration and State patrol DOL Officer had a fit made me apply for and PAY for a state patrol issued vin sticker....A couple of months later I buy an P200 from out of state with No sticker and the inspector didn't even look for a vin number!
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
i suppose if it's beat up and clearly the original VIN stamp like on my P200 then they won't bat an eye. But if it's a sticker, and brand new and shiny, they might pause to wonder where it came from
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]