@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
UTC quote
I'm taking my BRC in April and instead of using the bikes that are supplied, I was thinking of using my scooter.

By using my scooter, I give up the opportunity to learn/work a traditional MC clutch, shifter and foot brake. Given that I will not be riding a traditional MC anytime in the foreseeable future, I think that any skill development would be lost without practice.

Also - Do I need to get a waiver in Ohio to use my scooter for this class? Anyone with experience on this would be extemely helpful.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: Upcoming Rider Course in Ohio
CrazyCarl wrote:
I'm taking my BRC in April and instead of using the bikes that are supplied, I was thinking of using my scooter.

By using my scooter, I give up the opportunity to learn/work a traditional MC clutch, shifter and foot brake. Given that I will not be riding a traditional MC anytime in the foreseeable future, I think that any skill development would be lost without practice.

Also - Do I need to get a waiver in Ohio to use my scooter for this class? Anyone with experience on this would be extemely helpful.
have you contacted them and expressed your desires to use your scooter?

Taken directly from the website :

Permission to use a personally-owned motorcycle or scooter may be granted by the training site coordinator for Motorcycle Ohio under certain circumstances. Students who wish to use their own motorcycle must submit the following to the training site:

* Letter requesting permission stating reason for using your two-wheeled motorcycle/scooter in the MO class (example: modification for handicap use).
* State the motorcycle/scooter engine size (no more than 500cc and a minimum of 100cc).
* Name of insurance company that has the motorcycle/scooter insured.

On the day of range activities, after site approval has been given, the student must show proof of insurance to the instructor and have the motorcycle/scooter safety checked for roadworthiness.

Please note that three-wheeled motorcycles or scooters are not allowed in Motorcycle Ohio courses.
OP
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
UTC quote
OAD - Thanks. Not sure how I missed that.
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I used my scooter, without issues. I called the site Coordinator and had a discussion with him prior to class to determine what was required.

The first class, he had a ready made form, which needed to be filled in (information taken from my insurance card and registration); I did not need to submit a letter. I also had the title, along, just in case.

On the first day, in the field, I had to have my current insurance card (which includes VIN) and registration, again, for the skills instructors to confirm, as well as check for road worthiness.

Good luck!
Cheers,
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I'll agree with you on this one. I took my first MSF course 12 years ago, before anyone even considered letting a scooter into a class. I still remember how to do the shifting. But seeing as how it was over a decade ago, and I have yet to actually do shifting on anything other than the bike I took that first course on, I don't actually have a feel for doing it correctly anymore. I'm lucky if I can do anything with a Stella outside of neutral.

I do remember, vividly, how stupid I thought it was to do all the eye-hand-foot coordination at the time. An automatic scooter was the only thing I'd ever taken out on the road at that point. Twist-n-go... why bother with anything else? Of course now I think it would be great to ride, say, an old P200 if I had the chance. I think if I ever get anything like that I'll end up paying a friend/local scooter guru to help me learn it properly.
@jagony avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 MP3 400

Hooked
@jagony avatar
2008 MP3 400
UTC quote
Please note that three-wheeled motorcycles or scooters are not allowed in Motorcycle Ohio courses.[/quote]

I took the class on my MP3. Showed up for class, told them I wanted to use the scooter but had forgotten to send the letter to get permission. The instructors called their supervisor, he said go for it.
I think they just wanted to see how it would do. It was a PITA on the slow speed stuff but did great on everything else. After the figure 8 in the box they told me that if a front wheel had gone over a line they wouldn't have counted it against me because of the width of the front track.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0142s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]