@williamtell avatar
UTC

Hooked
VBB 2T (LML Engine)

Hooked
@williamtell avatar
VBB 2T (LML Engine)
UTC quote
Ive just got my VBB on the road after replacing the front damper and spring as i noticed before i took it apart it seemed like the damper wasnt doing anything as the suspension was so soft.
It still seems really soft, is this usual?. I know i'm not used to riding a scoot this age but are they all this soft? do i need to put on better quality spring and damper?
i did notice the little key/slot part where the bottom of the damper fits onto the "wheel part" was damaged with age, would this make a difference?.
Things are made worse by the brakes rubbing on part of the wheel cycle so when i brake the suspension goes up and down. i'm hoping after a few rides this will have evened out (might have been when the wheel hub was powder coated)
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
No, they're pretty soft and dive like Michael Klim... you'll need a really stiff spring and decent shock if you want to stop it. BGM make a good shock for the early front end.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
I had the same super dive problem, and I put a bgm on, and set at the stiffest setting it still wasn't stiff enough for me with the old stock spring, so I paired it with a heavy duty spring, and it is HEAVY duty. so the bgm is set to its "squishiest" setting and it's pretty good. I'm not sure if all the reenforced or "heavy duty" springs are the same, but i did get the spring from rs, and it was a bear to even bend just a bit to put on... took me and a big fat guy to do it... point is, it's very stiff. I'd have liked something on the middle, so I could use the "adjustable-ness" of the bgm, but did't work out that way... in my case.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
... so I paired it with a heavy duty spring, and it is HEAVY duty. ... i did get the spring from rs...
I've got one of those in the shed I bought some time ago. Never put it on as it looked not much thicker/stronger than a standard spring, remember being dissappointed at the time. Sounds like it's worth doing then.
And you're saying the shock doesn't have so much effect with the heavy spring?
OP
@williamtell avatar
UTC

Hooked
VBB 2T (LML Engine)

Hooked
@williamtell avatar
VBB 2T (LML Engine)
UTC quote
Vader19 wrote:
I had the same super dive problem, and I put a bgm on, and set at the stiffest setting it still wasn't stiff enough for me with the old stock spring, so I paired it with a heavy duty spring, and it is HEAVY duty. so the bgm is set to its "squishiest" setting and it's pretty good. I'm not sure if all the reenforced or "heavy duty" springs are the same, but i did get the spring from rs, and it was a bear to even bend just a bit to put on... took me and a big fat guy to do it... point is, it's very stiff. I'd have liked something on the middle, so I could use the "adjustable-ness" of the bgm, but did't work out that way... in my case.
Nice one thanks for that.. it's good to know that it's not the bike just the way they are.
I might have to invest in some new parts then and of course recruit a "big fat guy" to help me install it
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
I've got one of those in the shed I bought some time ago. Never put it on as it looked not much thicker/stronger than a standard spring, remember being dissappointed at the time. Sounds like it's worth doing then.
And you're saying the shock doesn't have so much effect with the heavy spring?
Pretty much... at least with that rs heavy spring... it's seriously stiff... if you can find a "medium" stiff spring (for lack of a more appropriate term) it might be nice. but yeah the spring "outdid" the shock.
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
fat spring w/ BGM
I ditched the setup and went disc w/ bitubo

isent from iPad

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

OP
@williamtell avatar
UTC

Hooked
VBB 2T (LML Engine)

Hooked
@williamtell avatar
VBB 2T (LML Engine)
UTC quote
Re: fat spring w/ BGM
Vader19 wrote:

isent from iPad

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

very nicely done front end. i thought mine looked good but not so much now..
where did you get that brake arm, i want one !!
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
the stainless arm? I think i got it with other small bits at rs.
@carmonaville avatar
UTC

Banned
63' VBB 177, 62' Lambretta LI 185

Banned
@carmonaville avatar
63' VBB 177, 62' Lambretta LI 185
UTC quote
Those SIP rims are pretty dope.
@magg avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GL Touring 180, Vespa GL 225, Vespa PX 200 Sahara Edition

Addicted
@magg avatar
Vespa GL Touring 180, Vespa GL 225, Vespa PX 200 Sahara Edition
UTC quote
Don't go for the super stiff spring. If you don't like the softness of the stock setup you really need a different fork.

Even if you eliminate the dive with a stiff spring it introduces a whole new set of problems.

You'll loose traction on the front end when accelerating because there is no longer any sag. The front end will bounce around and not do its job.

It is really hard on the front swingarm, bearings and buffers. It wears out a lot quicker. I restored my old style fork with all new part, but also added one of those super-stiff springs. After 3000 km it was clunky and the bearings where worn out and the swing-arm axle was slightly bent.

IMO your best option without replacing the fork is to get that BGM F16 shock and replace the old spring with new with regular to moderate stiffness.

Then you just live with the awkward handling front end. Thats the way they're designed.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Re: fat spring w/ BGM
Vader19 wrote:
So Vader what exactly have you done there? It looks delicious! But still a drum, right? Or a disc I can't see? I'm confused by your comment, that looks like a BGM to me.

Also, did you experience what Magg described with your setup?
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
That pic is with the Heavy spring, and the BGM w/ drum brake. I scrapped all that and now have a grimeca with a bitubo on a PK fork.

And yeah, what Magg said is correct. the only problem with the original soft sping I had in conjunction with the bgm, is it was still too soft... even with the bgm set at it's stiffest setting. As I said, to make it right, for me, I'd have needed a "medium stiff" spring (If there is such a thing) and then dial in the bgm. I probably could have lived with the stock spring and the bgm, just a bit squishy for my taste, but not much. the hard spring was just tooooo stiff.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
After riding a mate's Super with a PX fork, and yours and Magg's comments, I think that's definitely the way to go. Especially for a modified bike, you really want to go into the corners much quicker.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the look of the longer lower fork leg and the gap between the guard (fender) and wheel. I did speak to an automotive engineer about cutting that down and re-welding it, he and his welder reckon it would be fairly straightforward and didn't feel it would compromise it at all. I think I'll do this with a PX as there are simply no PK forks here at all.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0100s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]