UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
hi,

I'm from the Italian school od driving - what's behind me doesn,t matter and I just drive forward!

afterall, the world is round, right? just keep driving forward and stop behind where you started from...

seriously, when I first got my MP3, I just duckwalked backwards, engine on or off. but I noticed mechanical resistence engine on, and remembered there is no manual clutch, engine and tranni always engaged ? and just slipping...

so I started shutting off the engine before going backwards.

any thoughts on the right way to back up, and the mechanical reasons behind it?

thanks in advance.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
there should be no resistance with the engine off, ensure you are not dragging the brake levers or have the parking brake on.

with the engine running and the tilt lock on again you should have no resistance unless your dragging a brake lever.

with the engine running and tilt lock off your in the dog paddleing mode, be sure your not unintentionally throttling up and just regular idle.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
Re: newbie question: how do you back up an MP3 or any CVT bi
WanderingPurist wrote:
When I first got my MP3, I just duckwalked backwards.
If I'm backing out on a nice flat parking lot; I prefer to leave the tilt lock on and walk beside it with one hand on the back and one hand steering.
WanderingPurist wrote:
But I noticed mechanical resistence engine on, and remembered there is no manual clutch, engine and tranni always engaged ? and just slipping...

so I started shutting off the engine before going backwards.

any thoughts on the right way to back up, and the mechanical reasons behind it?

thanks in advance.
I'm ignorant in this area so I will leave it to the more knowledgeable among us to answer that part.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Have never felt any resistance pushing back with the engine running.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
I fell a slight resistance when it's cold outside and the engine's cold - as its idle revs are a tad under 2,000 at that point and the clutch begins to slip. This may vary from bike to bike.

When the bike's warmed up there shouldn't be any resistance paddling backwards.
@welcha avatar
UTC

Hooked
'Sophia' - Demon Black MP3 500

Hooked
@welcha avatar
'Sophia' - Demon Black MP3 500
UTC quote
Perhaps his idle is running a little high? That would engage the belt ever-so-slightly...
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Maybe his road isn't flat like he thinks.
OP
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
so there should be no issue with backing
when the engine is running? belts arent slipping like they're not supposed to?

thanks for all the comments.
norCal Randy wrote:
Randy, unless I,m on meds or drunk, I can usually tell rolling resistence from mechanical resistence. and I dont drink and ride.

UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Re: so there should be no issue with backing
WanderingPurist wrote:
when the engine is running? belts arent slipping like they're not supposed to?

thanks for all the comments.
norCal Randy wrote:
Randy, unless I,m on meds or drunk, I can usually tell rolling resistence from mechanical resistence. and I dont drink and ride.

When you're back pedaling, it doesn't take much of a slope to maybe think your MP3 has a problem instead of the operater. If you get off the MP3 locked upright and push it backwards, you will then know if there is MP3 drag. My driveway has just enough slope that if my MP3s won't coast backwards, it tells me the rear tire is low on air. Clown emoticon
UTC

Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT

Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
UTC quote
norCal Randy wrote:
I occasionally notice resistance first thing in the morning, as I'm backing out of the carport. The weather is usually nice, and I'm like, "Damn, I don't want to go to work today." I guess the resistance is all in my head. Clown emoticon
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
gsheff wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
I occasionally notice resistance first thing in the morning, as I'm backing out of the carport. The weather is usually nice, and I'm like, "Damn, I don't want to go to work today." I guess the resistance is all in my head. Clown emoticon
That could be caused by flat spots on your tires if they have nylon in them. Nylon belted tires temporarily get a flat spot when sitting for awhhile. Not until they roll awhile are they perfectly round again. Nylon construction is for longer wear. Nerd emoticon
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
How do you back up an MP3?

The same as any file. Just copy it to a portable hard drive, or use an online data storage service.

Sheesh!

Clown emoticon
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
How do you back up an MP3?

The same as any file. Just copy it to a portable hard drive, or use an online data storage service.

Sheesh!

Clown emoticon
Laughing emoticon
The rest of us must be slowing down to have missed that one.
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
I too, Have noticed a little resistance, But only when it is cold, and I am just starting out. No problem after the scoot has warmed up.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
This is where the tilt lock really shines. I use the method heinlein describes, and rarely paddle backward with the engine on - too easy to throttle or hit the tilt lock switch. Being able to push the scoot around like a shopping cart when parking (or unparking) is a major feature of the design. Just have to be cautious on hills / cross grades.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
This is where the tilt lock really shines. I use the method heinlein describes, and rarely paddle backward with the engine on - too easy to throttle or hit the tilt lock switch. Being able to push the scoot around like a shopping cart when parking (or unparking) is a major feature of the design. Just have to be cautious on hills / cross grades.
If you are going to do it with the engine running I suggest doing it from the left side to minimize the likelihood of a mishap.
@bravotwofour avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now

Ossessionato
@bravotwofour avatar
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
UTC quote
heinlein wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
If you are going to do it with the engine running I suggest doing it from the left side to minimize the likelihood of a mishap.
Makes sense, good point. I can't recall having done it that way meself.
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
UTC quote
W.P., it seems to me that there's a simple experiment to nail this down. The next time you're waddling backwards and you are feeling resistance, just turn off the engine.

If there's no change, then there's a non-engine issue like your brakes are slightly engaged or your tires are low or have a flat spot - or the ground is simply not as flat you you thought it was. If there is a difference, then your belt is dragging slightly at idle, which could be a warped clutch bell, clutch springs, or (most likely) too high an idle. Either way, you'll have a better idea of what to do.
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Too high an idle make sense, Mine idles higher until warmed up.
OP
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
great idea, makes perfect sense. thanks.
rjeffb wrote:
W.P., it seems to me that there's a simple experiment to nail this down. The next time you're waddling backwards and you are feeling resistance, just turn off the engine.

If there's no change, then there's a non-engine issue like your brakes are slightly engaged or your tires are low or have a flat spot - or the ground is simply not as flat you you thought it was. If there is a difference, then your belt is dragging slightly at idle, which could be a warped clutch bell, clutch springs, or (most likely) too high an idle. Either way, you'll have a better idea of what to do.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500

Molto Verboso
Piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
First hand experience last Sat. March 3

Get off the bike on the left side. Do it on the right side and you are in danger because you will likely touch the tilt switch and then you have "A PROBLEM". I did and it slowly went down. Couldn"t hold it up. Never send it backward from right side!!! I always get off and hold on to the side bars and handle bar. Never again from the right side!!!
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
Phillip..P. Smith wrote:
First hand experience last Sat. March 3

Get off the bike on the left side. Do it on the right side and you are in danger because you will likely touch the tilt switch and then you have "A PROBLEM". I did and it slowly went down. Couldn"t hold it up. Never send it backward from right side!!! I always get off and hold on to the side bars and handle bar. Never again from the right side!!!
I wish you had read my post in this thread from the day before so it wouldn't have happened to you; but if you're going to have a bike laying on it's side this is one of the least painful ways.
@blue avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piagio MP3 250

Enthusiast
@blue avatar
Piagio MP3 250
UTC quote
I try to pull in forward if forward is up hill so backing is easy, and back in if parking is downhill, if lot is neutral I look for a spot to pull straight through. I park in a shed at night and back in I have noticed less resistance when the engine is running but also have accidentaly hit the throtle defeating my backing by lurching forward. I find it easier to paddle foot it than to try to push while off the bike. ( I have droped it a couple of times trying to push it fro the side, sliped on some lose material the first time then picked it up only to have it fall the other direction.)
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
I usually lock the tilt lock and turn the key off. Sometimes I have had to unlock the tilt when moving it around, But then I re-lock it and turn the key off. Only time I remember using the rocker switch was when the scoot was laying on top of me. the old parking brake and tilt lock got me. Anyway by using the key to kill it, I don't have to worry if I hit the tilt unlock by accident. I don't like to paddle it. I usually push it from the left side with the tilt lock on if possible.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D

Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
UTC quote
+1 I learned very early on to turn the ignition off after setting the tilt lock to prevent an accidental release while pushing or pulling it to a parking space. IMHO it the only way to prevent accidental spills.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0252s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0109s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]