@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
Yesterday there was a death of a motorcycle rider not too far to the west of Baton Rouge.

This rider had made it all the way from Oregon. Let's be careful out there and remain alert even when stopped in traffic.

My prayers go out to the riders family.

http://www.wafb.com/story/17063969/troopers-identify-motorcyclist-killed-on-atchafalaya-basin-bridge
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Speed kills. Whenever you sense a situation, first priority should be to scrub off speed if at all possible. Intersections, drivers preparing to cross your path, any situation that introduces variables, get your speed down. a 25 mph impact will be far more survivable than even a 40 mph impact.
OP
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
SX Santa Barbara wrote:
Speed kills. Whenever you sense a situation, first priority should be to scrub off speed if at all possible. Intersections, drivers preparing to cross your path, any situation that introduces variables, get your speed down. a 25 mph impact will be far more survivable than even a 40 mph impact.
I'm not sure I understand the reply you posted. There was no speed. Traffic was at a dead stop and the rider and other vehicles that were struck by the 18-wheeler had no where to go. Along the 18 miles of that bridge you barely have room to pull off the road in a cage. If you do the passenger has no way to get out of the vehicle because the door is against the rail on the side of the bridge.

Not meaning to sound condescending. I realize you're not familiar with the area. Just trying to provide some background.

If you go to a satellite map you may be able to zoom in enough to see what I'm talking about.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Just a general comment, not specific to this circumstance. If you're looking for one skill to reduce the chance of injury or death, it's to know how and when to dump speed.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Er - yes, I think that is self-explanatory.

Please don't repeat 'speed kills'. Excessive speed for the conditions can make that speed a contributory factor. Lack of attention by the human (and attention to speed is obvious here) is probably by far the highest factor.

Deer jumping out, rocks from above or similar totally unexpected things - they are about the only things where a rider (or anyone else) can claim that something else kills.

Speed per se does not kill. It can however make a huge difference in survivability in any collision between objects with momentum.

So does wearing appropriate gear. Etc ...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0049s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]