OP
UTC

2001 Vespa ET2

2001 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
Just spent 200 bucks on a new carb. Now it starts right up but bogs down with throttle advance and puts out alot of white smoke. Plug is sparking but should I change it anyway ? New fuel tap as well but it still leaks into the carb. Does the top hose go to the carb and the bottom go to vacuum ?
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
The larger fuel line goes to the outermost larger spigot. The smaller vacuum line goes to the smaller spigot that comes out of the center of the tap.

A couple thoughts:

You might just still be burning off build up in the exhaust from when the carb was bad.

Your float needle in your carb might not be working correctly.

You may be having issues with too much oil getting into the system.
OP
UTC

2001 Vespa ET2

2001 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
Thanks, The plug is very wet with oil. compression seems fine with my finger in the hole, It runs up my driveway then dies when I open the throttle, I wish there were more pubs available. 12 years old and 600 miles. I dont know how to adjust the carb. I read that it is to be screwed in all the way then back out 1 1/2 to 2 turns. are there any other adjustments. I got this for freeand I am paying the price now.
@akp avatar
UTC

TEAM #68
ET4 & GT160

TEAM #68
@akp avatar
ET4 & GT160
UTC quote
I always thought that white smoke was water/coolant getting in the system and black/blue smoke was oil getting into the system.

At least that's certainly what happens with cars. (Experience of a blown head gasket taught me this!)

Am I wrong?
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
AKP wrote:
I always thought that white smoke was water/coolant getting in the system and black/blue smoke was oil getting into the system.

At least that's certainly what happens with cars. (Experience of a blown head gasket taught me this!)

Am I wrong?
You are correct except that there's no coolant on an air-cooled motor such as the ET2.
OP
UTC

2001 Vespa ET2

2001 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
Spark plug failed today. I am glad. At least I have hope for a fix. I ordered an NGK. I hope this fixes it. Interesting. The plug would spark when I kicked it over but when I used the starter it sparked out the side of the insulator. Why do plugs last so long on cars but so short on scooters ?
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
2 stroke engines are very hard on plugs.....They tend to get a lot of oil residue on the plugs....
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0094s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]