UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
UTC quote
Okay -
As you know I am looking for a MP3 400 or a Big Ruckus to increase my scooter stable.

I have missed, due to my hesitation, about 4 good deals so far. We are talking 1 -3 days in considering and calling around and looking and evaluating. Then finally admitting that this scooter is the best deal around.

But when I show up with the cash this is what I hear:

"Oh, sorry, it sold!".

I feel like kicking myself. Apparently, if I see it, it is guaranteed to sell the NEXT DAY!

How about you? Ever miss out on some great deals on ANYTHING and then feel like CRAP 4-EVER?

Please regale me with your tales of measlyness because misery loves company.
UTC

Addicted
2015 BV350 2007 GTS(sold) 2003 BV200

Addicted
2015 BV350 2007 GTS(sold) 2003 BV200
UTC quote
sometimes the deals are great then the travel to get it is too far .

John
@davidr5 avatar
UTC

Addicted
Scooter free for the moment

Addicted
@davidr5 avatar
Scooter free for the moment
UTC quote
nah; always look forwards, not backwards.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
This is a common problem when it comes to dealing with antique motorcycles. You have to keep significant cash reserves in easy reach so you can strike fast if/when needed. You usually won't get a second chance. This requires that you make good gut calls on whether to buy or not.

Funny story... I was 2000 miles from home last May riding near Deal's Gap. I stopped at the store at the NC end of the Dragon when a guy came up to me and asked of I'd sell him the toolbox off my bike. He had recognized it as a very rare late 1930s part. I told him I wasn't interested in selling. He pulled out the cash so I would know he was serious. He started at $200 and got to $1000 before he was done. That's the oldest part on my bike. I couldn't let it go.

-Craig
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
Yep, I missed out on a Rally 180 for under a grand today. Was on craigslist in the morning and by the time I called at lunch it was sold.
@david_masse avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)

Ossessionato
@david_masse avatar
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS sold, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
UTC quote
No worries Bel. It just wasn't meant to be. Keep an eye out and the right deal will come your way and you'll know it and pounce.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Been there my friend........many times

Something better will come along !
@desmolicious avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@desmolicious avatar
UTC quote
If it is a great deal you need to move immediately, with cash in hand.
Wait a day, and it'll be gone.

That's how I've got killer deals on bikes and scoots. The most recent one was a Buddy Blackjack, like new with 600 miles on it that I bought for $1700.
I rode that for a while, then sold it for $2500.
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck
1967 Sears 125.....Primavera

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Missed a 1968 Fiat 600
On my way home from work in 1985 I saw a guy pulling(literally) a 1968 fiat 600 out of his garage. It was a friday and I had to hurry to a high school soccer game so I didn't have time to buy and sell on the spot. After just a few minutes chat we settled on $100 for the car, and I told him I would be back to pick it up in the morning. I asked if he would like a deposit and he said it was not necessary, "I trust you to come back" he said!
Now I do not know what the deposit should be on a hundred dollar car, but I should have left it and got a contract.
The next morning I went to pick up the car, to my surprise there was a garage sale in progress and no car in site! Apparently, someone had seen the car when they came to the garage sale and offered him $150 (the original amount I had offered him which HE knocked down to $100), he took the $150 without even waiting to see if I would offer more!
So one of the cars I had always wanted went to someone else because I had to go and ref a soccer game for $22. Ah well, the game was exciting, Boone HS against Colonial HS. Colonial won.

Sir Paul
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
Garage sale a couple saturdays ago that started at 8am. It sounded really good so I showed up at 7:15. No one was stirring, no lights on, so I came back at 7:45am. There was a crowd of people and one guy was taking boxes and boxes of Starrett tools and putting them into his car.

I asked if he could bring out the $800 Italian Faggin brand Bicycle for $75 and told him "I'll take it!" Some guy over my shoulder said, "Actually, I came by earlier and asked you to hold that for me." Noooooo!

I still ended up with an amazing vintage Gerstner and Sons Walnut Tool Chest and a big stack of Vintage Starrett and Mitutoyo tools, but I was complaining about that bicycle and other tools all morning.
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
My Mum
My Mum........
Is an absolute dragon when it comes to garage sales. We moved from England to the U.S. and around a few states over the years.
Mum will have garage sales and she goes to great trouble to have nice signs made. The signs have location and date, but, more importantly, they also have a time. In big letters under the times is a line that reads.

Absolutely no early birds. No sale before 8 AM.

She is quite adamant about this, but some professional garage salers are very pushy and still try it on. She makes a point of being brusque with them and selling them nothing before 8, to the point of overlooking them and selling something they wanted to another buyer.

Stubborn, Principled, Obnoxious. Call it what you want, just dont get there early.

Sir Paul
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
I totally try to be respectful of start times, but it's painful when I show up 15 minutes early and have already missed 3/4 of the good deals. It forces me to go a little early.
UTC

Banned
2007 Piaggio MP3 250s,2009 Honda Ruckus, 2005 Honda Big Ruckus

Banned
UTC quote
Good choices! I love them both-MP3 & Honda Big Ruckus! Big Ruckuses are hard to find, when I saw my first Big Ruckus listed on Craigslist, I called the owner and told him I wanted it for the full asking price. It was 6 hrs driving to get there...Big Ruckuses have two colors: 2006-gray, 2005-yellow. Yellow ones are even harder to find... good luck dear! 8)
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Okay, I'll bite. Why would it take three days of looking and calling around before you decide you want to make a contact on one of only two scooters you are seeking? If you already know what you want and can easily verify what it is worth - why the delay? You will miss most of the really good deals. Now, if you are not sure that one of these bikes is for you and want to think about it - that I can understand. If you aren't sure it's for you, then letting a bike pass is probably a good thing.

(though I'd say you are really lucky in your search if you have found several recent possibilities in your area. I have seen no used MP3 400 or Big Ruckus show up on CraigsList in my area in the past 9 or 10 months)
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Re: Missed deals - feel like kicking myself!
Belkwinith wrote:
-
How about you? Ever miss out on some great deals on ANYTHING and then feel like CRAP 4-EVER?
No I view it like karma. If it is supposed to be mine it will be. If it is not then it will not. IE. Go window shopping see something I like decide OK I'll buy that on Xday. On Xday I go back if it is still there. If not...

This being said if I was looking for something rare and found it I would simply buy it as it was karma finding it in the first place.

I think you worry too much about getting the lowest price that is why you miss stuff.
@mattytee avatar
UTC

GT 200

@mattytee avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Think about buying my old Vino so it sells quickly.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
mattytee wrote:
Think about buying my old Vino so it sells quickly.
You shall try post it on RV forum, Rvers love to have little scooters for camping...I always can gather a scooter gang at camp site whenever we are camping...
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
(though I'd say you are really lucky in your search if you have found several recent possibilities in your area. I have seen no used MP3 400 or Big Ruckus show up on CraigsList in my area in the past 9 or 10 months)
I have been watching these two scooters also on craigslist, no sales yet...if I see any I will post it here to let her know.
UTC

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250

Ossessionato
Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
Motorsport Scooters wrote:
Garage sale a couple saturdays ago that started at 8am. It sounded really good so I showed up at 7:15. No one was stirring, no lights on, so I came back at 7:45am. There was a crowd of people and one guy was taking boxes and boxes of Starrett tools and putting them into his car.

I asked if he could bring out the $800 Italian Faggin brand Bicycle for $75 and told him "I'll take it!" Some guy over my shoulder said, "Actually, I came by earlier and asked you to hold that for me." Noooooo!

I still ended up with an amazing vintage Gerstner and Sons Walnut Tool Chest and a big stack of Vintage Starrett and Mitutoyo tools, but I was complaining about that bicycle and other tools all morning.
I have my grandfathers vintage Gerstner tool chest, complete with a 1920's era copy of the Machinerys Handbook. It is full of Starrett and Brown&Sharpe tools.
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
Route 66 Lawdog wrote:
Motorsport Scooters wrote:

I have my grandfathers vintage Gerstner tool chest, complete with a 1920's era copy of the Machinerys Handbook. It is full of Starrett and Brown&Sharpe tools.
That's really cool. I never thought I'd have a Gerstner and Sons chest. If I ever have grandkids, they'll get this one. I'm sure not letting it go.
@sir_paul avatar
UTC

The Duck

The Duck
@sir_paul avatar
UTC quote
Pictures
How about posting a couple of pics of these old tool chests. I hear some of them are real works of art.

Sir Paul
@fade avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super, 1970 Sprint

Hooked
@fade avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super, 1970 Sprint
UTC quote
Re: Pictures
Sir Paul wrote:
How about posting a couple of pics of these old tool chests. I hear some of them are real works of art.
Facepalm emoticon I sense a "Show Us Your Toolchest" thread in our future.
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
Re: Pictures
Sir Paul wrote:

Sir Paul
This one will be getting a refinish and possibly a re-felt at some point in the future.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@scootchef avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super

Ossessionato
@scootchef avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Max - that is fantastic! What a find.

P.S. The package arrived yesterday. Thanks for the patches
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0286s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0160s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]