OP
UTC

Lurker
ET2

Lurker
ET2
UTC quote
I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice. I have not used my scooter during the winter and the battery died. I tried a manual start and after several attempts, it would attempt to start but would not. Finally the kick start froze and I have not been able to release it. Is there a trick that someone knows? Many thanks!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Get a new battery, make sure it has had a full forming charge, and forget the kickstart.

Honest.
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
If you are handy, try to take the battery out, and see if you can charge it up with a 2 amp charger.....If that doesn't work, it's time to get a new one.
To get the kick starter loose, you will have to take off the variator cover....It's about 18 bolts, so I hope you are good with a ratchet. You will have to use a 1/4 drive 10 or 8 mm socket (Can't Remember which), because the 3/8 inch will not fit....
The kick starter is in front of the variator, and it probably just needs a little cleaning or the spring is out of place......Check on the belts and do a little cleaning while it's open. I would change the belts out, if it has more than 4000 miles on it, deglaze the clutch with a fine emery paper, and check the rollers for flat spots....
I would drain the old gas from the tank, by taking off the hose and the fuel tap from under the tank, and replace it with fresh gas and some sea foam cleaner......
If it doesn't start, the carb might need cleaning. That involves taking out the carb, and taking out the bottom of the carb to get to the jets, and cleaning them with carb cleaner.....
If you are not handy, you could take it to the dealer, or a handy scooter friend....but that is what's need to be done.....
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0101s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]