OP
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Hi All:
My new-to-me 2005 GT200 came with a sidestand that is obviously not right. It does not retract, or "tuck up", enough. It is a well make piece, however, as it fits the under-chassis mount perfectly, yet it is obviously not going to work. My curiousity is up that it might be a sidestand designed for the smaller frame, the 50s, 150s,...? Might this be true?
My inquiry with the vespa store revealed that the company stopped providing sidestands in America, due to scooters tipping over, and owners bringing their dissappoints upstream to the company... So the company discontinued the problem by discontueing sidestands, for Americans. This is mostly okey, except i have a newly reconstructed knee with replacement ACL and whatnot, and would like to be able to sidestand the scooter sometimes, especially for litttle app's like opening the gate. Centerstanding requires both hands, and the machine is just heavy enough to impose danger upon my fragile new knee :-/.
So,... might my scoot have a wrong sized sidestand? TIA for any constructive comments -ffs
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. Sorry about your knee. No they put the right one on. 99% of the people on here will tell you to take it off but i have a aftermarket one on the LX and love it. You need to be careful when you dismount and make sure it's solid. If you need it for your knee keep it on there until your strong enough and then take it off if your worried about it. Sounds like you could drop it while putting it on the center stand as well. Good luck
OP
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Aloha- This stand sticks way out to the side. It is going to drag on left turns, even without doing any Valentino Rossi shenanigans. I'm thinking unsafe. Sorry i do not know how to include a picture
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
Re: GT200 Sidestand
FFscoot wrote:
Hi All:
My new-to-me 2005 GT200 came with a sidestand that is obviously not right. It does not retract, or "tuck up", enough. It is a well make piece, however, as it fits the under-chassis mount perfectly, yet it is obviously not going to work. My curiousity is up that it might be a sidestand designed for the smaller frame, the 50s, 150s,...? Might this be true?
My inquiry with the vespa store revealed that the company stopped providing sidestands in America, due to scooters tipping over, and owners bringing their dissappoints upstream to the company... So the company discontinued the problem by discontueing sidestands, for Americans. This is mostly okey, except i have a newly reconstructed knee with replacement ACL and whatnot, and would like to be able to sidestand the scooter sometimes, especially for litttle app's like opening the gate. Centerstanding requires both hands, and the machine is just heavy enough to impose danger upon my fragile new knee :-/.
So,... might my scoot have a wrong sized sidestand? TIA for any constructive comments -ffs
None of the 150 sidestands mount in the same way. If it's on there, it's specifically designed for your GT-series Vespa.

They were not removed due to complaints. They were never installed due to a DOT regulation regarding needing a switch to kill the motor when the stand was down.
OP
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Ah- the DOT rule. This
makes sense. Yet, non-sensical is the way the stand does not retract enough. I might have a pal try heating it and bending it to fit
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
It may just need to be lubricated? It should come up almost flush with the body.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Thx for input- The "kick" part of the stand was bent. I strong-armed it up and out of the way. If more clearance is needed(?), it looks like the rubber could be trimmed a bit to allow the stand to come up some more
Here 'tis
Here 'tis
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I addressed your knee problem more. Mine had the bolts come loose and was hanging lower but i see you fixed your problem. I don't know how yours is on but if it's on with the bolts check them occasionally. They can come loose. Our roads here don't help.
OP
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Judy- The sidestand bolt fits perfectly, w/ correct length, diam', and it is bevled to include a rubber bushing; so it seems to be OEM stuff, perhaps fab'ed for/by Vespa for non-Amer' use..? I just snugged it up. Looks like i am all set now.
Mahalo
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Cool, we have about 6 GT'S over here but i don't think any have the OEM SS. Mines after market and very different.Have you been here? Notice the Hawaiian words. 8) Thanks.
OP
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Yes indeed. Some of my best-ever golf and cocktailing went down in your state. Love the islands. Lots of scooters around Kona.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0170s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]