@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
OK, I've searched the forum and can't find pictures as to where some of you have put your fuse box for the front or rear to help distribute power to the added things you have put on your scoots.
Now I do have a MP3 500. But when someone talks about the suspension in front or running wires between battery and fuse box or tapping into another positive wire ... for the fuse box. I'm lost.
I currently have a new battery which should reach me on Tuesday. The Motobatt that OAD suggested. Since it has 2 positive and 2 negative connections, that might help with accessories.
But I can't find anywhere even on the spreadsheet or in the forum where it actually talks about how to run wires from battery to fuse box (front or rear) or maybe what positive wire to use which only works when the ignition is "on" ...
I have a Sea Blue six fuse box I would like to add to the front to of this scoot, to handle any additional lighting etc.

Or am I thinking too much here? I'm new at trying to run wires and keep them from interfering with something that it shouldn't.

Pictures would help.

Thanks.

FM
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 MP3 400ie, Silver- "Lorelei Lee Long"

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Go here: http://fuzeblocks.com/

Buy one. It has the relay already built in.

Install it under the seat near the battery. Run a line with a 30A fuse from the positive battery terminal to the 12V input, and a wire from the negative terminal to the negative connection. One more from your headlight wire to the Switched 12V input, and you're good to go. After that, all you have to do is connect your widgets as you add them to the output and ground terminals, and install apprpriate fuses on each connection to make it switched or constant power.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
You would run a stranded 10 gauge wire from your new battery down to the engine area, along the underside of the scoot, up to the front fairing via the stock horn location. It will make it easier if you have a clothes hanger wire and long needle nose pliers. Tyrap the wire where you can and keep it away from things that can get hot of vibrate/move excessively. Use a split loom in areas where rubbing/chafing can occur.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:

Install it under the seat near the battery. Run a line with a 30A fuse from the positive battery terminal to the 12V input, and a wire from the negative terminal to the negative connection. One more from your headlight wire to the Switched 12V input, and you're good to go. After that, all you have to do is connect your widgets as you add them to the output and ground terminals, and install apprpriate fuses on each connection to make it switched or constant power.
Fuse the line that I put in bold at the point you tap on to it. Otherwise if that wire shorts out you lose your headlight.

What I use to fish wires is a very long heavy wire-tie. You can get a pack of them at Home Depot. Cut off the latch, drill a hole in it and file down the rough edges. It won't pierce anything.
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
That wire should not need a fuse. It's purely a vampire feed and all it does is send a signal. It is not feeding power into the Fuzeblock to power any devices, only flipping the switch in the relay to control switched power so that power on a switched circuit will not be present unless the headlights have come on. The power draw should be so low on that wire that you probably can't even find a fuse that would be suitable. Unless you put that wire someplace where it will rub through the insulation, it should never be under anywhere near enough load to fail.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
sent good location to you once in a pm but here it is again.

Loong weekend and winter nights full of mods...
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
<^>(-_-)<^>
FM
⚠️ Last edited by JTbme on UTC; edited 4 times
OP
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:

WoW!!! $83.99 ... I'll have to think about that a little further. LoL
OP
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
JTbme wrote:
Just like everyone above said. Power wire direct from battery to front of scooter. No fuse, just a relay (or the unit Sidecutter has with built in relay). I used marine wire, think it was 8 ga.
JTbme - I actually have 8 AWG boat cable, that I thought I would run from this new Motobatt to where I wanted to put the BlueSea fuse box. Still learning where everyone is running their battery wire to the front fuse box, so it doesn't interfere with things I should be touching.

I like your picture, shows where everything is placed with captions. thx
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
FunkyMonkey wrote:
WoW!!! $83.99 ... I'll have to think about that a little further. LoL
It's not cheap, but their shipping is fast and the quality of the product is very high. I do not think a better product for motorcycle electrical exists.

And it really is simple. Three wires in, use the connection terminals, and set your fuse left for constant power, or right for switched. Done. Want to add something later? Just run wires, connect it, and install the fuse, done.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
the FZ 1 is a really nice fuse block.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
<^>(-_-)<^>
⚠️ Last edited by JTbme on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Heh. USD4.99 shipping though.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON

Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
UTC quote
You should definitely fuse your wire coming out of the battery. 30 amp if you're using 10 gauge, 40 or 45 amp if you're using 8 gauge. Just use an in-line fuse holder from any automotive store.
@sidecutter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@sidecutter avatar
UTC quote
Absolutely, not fusing the positive wire from the battery is silly. Even if your wire will take a higher load though, use a fuse no larger than the maximum combined load of your fuse block. For example, on the FZ-1, you want to use a 30A fuse (and shouldn't be using higher than about a 12ga wire anyway) because the maximum combined load for the block is 30A.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
<^>(-_-)<^>
⚠️ Last edited by JTbme on UTC; edited 1 time
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Sidecutter wrote:
That wire should not need a fuse. It's purely a vampire feed and all it does is send a signal. It is not feeding power into the Fuzeblock to power any devices, only flipping the switch in the relay to control switched power so that power on a switched circuit will not be present unless the headlights have come on. The power draw should be so low on that wire that you probably can't even find a fuse that would be suitable. Unless you put that wire someplace where it will rub through the insulation, it should never be under anywhere near enough load to fail.
Yes it's just a trigger wire. A 1amp fuse would prevent the small chance of something going wrong and causing you to lose your headlight in the middle of the night. I run my wires inside vinyl tubing and tie them down, but I would still fuse it. I see the fuse as protecting the wire and the operation of the stock circuit since, in this fuseholder application, it has nothing to do with load.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
If you don't need the separate keyed and constant circuits these would work .

http://bluesea.com/category/81/21/productline/126
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500 & Zero SR

Hooked
UTC quote
Are you removing the one Jerry installed?
OP
@funkymonkey avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@funkymonkey avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
Are you removing the one Jerry installed?
Confused? what did Jerry install?

Are you still able to touch the ground?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Wasn't there a fuse box under your seat towards the back?

Yes, the seat is wonderful. I now lean forward more since it declines towards the front. I get behind the windshield like a crotch rocket and WOT. I took off my top case a few days ago and noticed improved gas mileage. Like a wall, it was holding me back. Not much but I've gained 3-4 mpg.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Also, which model Motobatt was it that you ordered?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
emtkopan wrote:
Also, which model Motobatt was it that you ordered?
motobatt MBTX16U
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0261s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0142s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]