@andrewb21 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Hooked
@andrewb21 avatar
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
UTC quote
Hey all, today I bought a Nolan N43 Trilogy helmet from the great folks at VSO. Just wanted to post a quick thread about the helmet, my initial thoughts and in a week or so I'll post a more thorough review.

A little background. I've been in the market for a full face helmet for about 6 months. I'd looked around at different modular and full face helmets, looking for more protection and versatility than what my current 3/4, the Scorpion EXO-200 offers. My main concerns with FF/Modular had been the extra weight of a full face, feeling claustrophobic, summer heat/ventilation and the price for a helmet which scores highly in the aforementioned categories. I'd looked at the Scorpion 500's, 900's, 1000's, AGV, Arai, and a few others. Nothing felt 'right'. By that I mean light, with good peripheral vision, slim shell (so my head didn't look like a balloon) and with a sleek design that would match my Guzzi V7 Classic. And then I found the Nolan Trilogy.

Now while I know this helmet won't be everyones cup of tea it is exactly what I was looking for. The shell is smaller I think than the EXO-200 and with the chin bar attached and visor down, it looks like a hybrid between a 3/4 and a full face in that you don't see much of the bar from the outside. This helmet is also incredibly light for a FF, The lines are very retro and clean, being an Italian made lid I wouldn't expect anything less. With a flip of my fingers, the chin bar is off and into my messenger bag. It weighs maybe half a pound. Impressive. The helmet boasts an anti-fog visor, flip down sun visor, comm mounting area and an on/off ventilation window on top.

I'm about to run this thing in and I can't wait to ride in it! I feel so much more protected already, and without any of the extra weight or diminished vision!

Will report back after some road testing in this 90 degree California sun. Cheers for now!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@pianomanla avatar
UTC

Hooked
'15 Black MP3 500, 15' BMW 1200RT, '09 Black MP3 500 (Gone but not forgotten), '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie (Gone but not forgotten)

Hooked
@pianomanla avatar
'15 Black MP3 500, 15' BMW 1200RT, '09 Black MP3 500 (Gone but not forgotten), '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie (Gone but not forgotten)
UTC quote
I love mine and have had it about a year... My only real complaints are the lack of ratcheting face shield ( new upgraded model due this year with this as a retrofit kit for existing owners from what's have been told), and the fact that we did not get the air version that is available in Europe... Especially in hotter than hades summer in New Orleans...
@jimo368 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250

Hooked
@jimo368 avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Thanks for the review and I look forward to your opinion after you have used it for a while. I currently use the Nolan N90 and recently tried on the N43 and really liked it. I just couldnt justify buying another helmet to add to the shelf full of helmets I already have. I think the N43 would be perfect for scooter riding though. Also, the pin lock insert works great on the N90 for colder days.
@nolarabbit avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 S150 "The Falcon"

Hooked
@nolarabbit avatar
2009 S150 "The Falcon"
UTC quote
PianoManLA wrote:
and the fact that we did not get the air version that is available in Europe... Especially in hotter than hades summer in New Orleans...
I was really excited about this helmet till I read this. Crying or Very sad emoticon

I'm also looking for a light FF helmet that doesn't look like a watermelon on my head...with decent ventilation. I'm over my Nolan modular - its just too darn heavy.
@slomojoe avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@slomojoe avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
Well, I bought the Air (Motorrad) version from Europe, and decided to just run the risk of a ticket if a picky cop stops me (I also stuck a fake DOT sticker on it, just in case, though I know that won't fool anyone). I am hoping they will just recognize the brand and feel magnanimous.

I agree with all the comments above: the N43 is very light and comfortable, has superior visibility, and the chinbar is easy to take off in seconds (a bit trickier to put it back on when done wearing the helmet, which I sometimes do because I wear glasses). In 3/4 mode the sides cover a large part of the jaw, which while of course won't offer the same protection of an FF/modular, seems a reasonable compromise to me. I am curious to see the results of testing of the chinbar strength by independent agencies like SHARP, it almost seems too good to be true that is conforms to EC's full-face helmet standards. We'll see.

The ventilation (on the Air at least) is exactly what I was looking for, in fact fantastic. As soon as you reach some speed, with the top vents open you can definitely feel the air on your scalp, in fact it can even get even a bit too cold on chillier mornings (<50F). This helmet made a 100% difference in my summer comfort level compared to my AGV modular.

Negatives:

- As mentioned above, the ratcheting mechanism is either not there or very very weak, which is annoying but not a major complaint for me.

- Noise is a significant problem - my commute is fairly short and mostly slow speed (40s, up to 50s in spots), but I am sure i would not be able to use this helmet at highway speeds for any length of time without earplugs. I suspect it mostly comes from the wide-open chin area, even more than from the top vents, since closing the latter makes little difference. Probably some makeshift chin curtain would help, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

- Finally, the sneaky Nolan designers made it almost impossible to fit any clamp-type bluetooth system to the helmet, by turning the lower lip inward by about half an inch or so. So you either you stick-ons (which I don't like or trust really) or give in and use the overpriced Nolan N-com system. (Or you modify/damage the helmet by cutting into the lip, which I am pondering about doing.)

Anyway, the positives outweigh the drawbacks for me by quite a bit, and I still highly recommend this helmet for anyone who is as heat-intolerant as I am.
@huckleberry avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@huckleberry avatar
UTC quote
I concur with some of the previous comments -

I do wish the face shield had some sort of ratcheting feature to allow the rider to adjust its height.

I am disappointed in the level of wind noise from my Trilogy; foam earplugs are a must for me.
UTC

Hooked
PIAGGIO BV 250

Hooked
PIAGGIO BV 250
UTC quote
I have been riding with a Trilogy for several months now and still like it a bunch. It is very light and the view outward is exceptional for being "full face". I have not installed a pinlock shield and although it fogs a bit around the shield opening by the mouth in very cold weather it hasn't been problematic. I wear glasses and usually ride shield full up or down anyway so not having a racheting shield doesn't bother me. My previous AGV and GMAX both were frustrating as everytime a truck would pass the shield drops and this has never happened on the Trilogy. I have always worn ear plugs so the issue of noise hasn't mattered. I don't believe it is any noisier than my other helmets. The drop down internal sunshield has been useful during the winter months at the end of the day. I would buy another one if needed 8) As most modulars are lackluster stylewise atleast the Trilogy comes with a couple of modest graphic options.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
As another who loves the N43 Trilogy I wasn't particularly impressed with the nCom system. I never got it to work satisfactorily but when my husband and I rode out from Colorado to California last year our Scala clamp ons worked just fine with it. Took a little fiddling to get it where I wanted but it fit better on my Trilogy than my husband's HTC modular.

Some folks on other boards have said that using memory foam or noise reducing insulation to fill in the space under hte liner over the ears where there is a cavity for the nCom or other speaker made the helmet much quieter. I'm considering that for my trip to Washington DC next week.

I do know that my Trilogy is much quieter than my husband's HJC when it comes to wind noise because of the amount I was hearing through the headset on his helmet.

If they do offer a retrofit for the faceshield I'll buy it since in hot humid Houstons some airflow through the face opening would be a godsend. I don't have the EU Air version but I do feel air through the top vents so don't rule out the US version just because it doesn't have quite as much venting.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
I have one. I got the yellow high vis model (see Boulty's Avatar). While at first I thought this was the cat's ass of helmets, over time and experience my opinion has changed drastically. For me the damn thing is uncomfortable after an hour. Call it a head shape issue but it sucks. The internal sun visor is not big enough.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth. My wife wears one and likes it but, she rarely rides over 45 minutes in one trip.

The concept is cool. It looks good but it just isn't comfortable for me.

The same holds true for my Nolan N20 traffic.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Knight,
Sounds like Nolens don't to you head shape. I've put over 8,000 miles on my N43 helmets (started with the 3/4 version and I keep a Trilogy in Colorado and another in Houston). They fit me so well I no longer consider any other brand.

It is the only full face helmet I've been able to wear more than an hour and I love the oversize viewport. I'm glad that there are pay of choices since everyone is different,
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Knight,
Sounds like Nolens don't to you head shape. I've put over 8,000 miles on my N43 helmets (started with the 3/4 version and I keep a Trilogy in Colorado and another in Houston). They fit me so well I no longer consider any other brand.

It is the only full face helmet I've been able to wear more than an hour and I love the oversize viewport. I'm glad that there are pay of choices since everyone is different,
Absolutely true. My Arai fits me perfectly and I can wear it without limitation.
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
Is that the N43E trilogy ? I bought my N43 Last year and love it, but the chin guard on yours looks a bit more subsantial. At the time I bought mine they were just getting ready to introduce the "E" .
@jimo368 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250

Hooked
@jimo368 avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Knight Train wrote:
cdwise wrote:
Knight,

Absolutely true. My Arai fits me perfectly and I can wear it without limitation.
We must have the same head shape because my Arai's have fit perfect and my N90 had to have the inner liner carved out slightly and then sanded down just above the eyebrow area and now it fits perfect
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Nice review/post.
I posted a similar review - except we call it the 'N43 Air' here.
My new Nolan N43 Air helmet plus review

Still love this helmet after a year and a half.
Best feature - gold fish bowl vision field (good in traffic) + lightweight + cool + build quality + Pinlock supplied.
Worst feature - this IS a noisy helmet as per many reviews. I wear a Buff in the cooler seasons and that quietens it down a bit.
@viscerok avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@viscerok avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Between the OP and Boulty, I ordered this helmet today in size XL. It was $155 shipped. I currently wear a Nolan Cruise Outlaw half helmet in size XL. I'm hoping Nolan is consistent with sizing across the range because the Cruise fits like butter.

Idid try a HJC full face that was nice in XXL but I really wanted the Trilogy first.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Viscerok wrote:
Between the OP and Boulty, I ordered this helmet today in size XL. It was $155 shipped. I currently wear a Nolan Cruise Outlaw half helmet in size XL. I'm hoping Nolan is consistent with sizing across the range because the Cruise fits like butter.

Idid try a HJC full face that was nice in XXL but I really wanted the Trilogy first.
I have 3 different Nolan helmets and take a medium in each one, the fit so far has been the same for me whether it the N20 Italia or the N43 - Trilogy or the older 3/4 style.
@viscerok avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@viscerok avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
I just want to add (instead of starting a new thread) that I received my Trilogy helmet this Tuesday. Fits perfect in XL, just like my Nolan Outlaw. I'm very happy to have such a comfortable helmet and instantly feel safer and confident.

I am in the "MY head is too big to fit in a proper size FF." I have to go up a size to get in then it's loose. It's nice and snug around the cheeks and jaw, good airflow and the latch (?) beats the tar out of the D-ring. I have ridden in 48F to 82F today and it's comfortable.

Anyway... Yes I am stoked.
@scooterbeagle avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9

Addicted
@scooterbeagle avatar
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9
UTC quote
My husband wears a Trilogy (M) and I wear Arai Quantum II. Both suffer from noise, with the Nolan being slightly louder. Easy fix to help quiet Nolan (Arai too) down was to put clear packaging tape over the plastic cover / insert for where the N-Com would insert ( a lot of wind noise enters through there). Also pulled the liner out of helmets and inserted dense foam into the earpod / recesses and reinserted liner. For this dense foam I actually used little circles cut from my SaS-Tec back pad armour as it was a bit too long for my jacket and the trimmings were just enough to make plugs for these ear spaces. Found this to really cut down on a lot of the annoying wind noise.
As for the use of communication headsets - we use the Sena system and bike to bike communication is fantastic. Both helmets use the clamp on feature and it works perfectly. I imagine the N-Con system is cleaner looking as it can recess into helmet, but the Sena clamps onto the helmet edge and sits right over top of the N-Con cover and works perfectly - never seems to loosen up or seem fragile.
While the Trilogy is really too 'round' for me, my husband really likes it. Is it really as crashworthy as a true full- on FF like my Arai? I doubt it, but it certainly better than nothing protecting your chin and teeth. My husband complains of the closed in feeling of a traditional FF but he is perfectly content with Trilogy as you really don't feel or even notice the chinbar.
Integrated sun visor... works great but yea, really needs to extend down further for visual comfort. As is it stops right in the middle of your line of sight and I find annoyingly short. Still, I have heard that most of the integrated visors msnufacturers offer all are too short. However, when the sun is glaring it is easy to say the integrated visor is the greatest invention in the world.
My husband wears the Trilogy year round but reports that hot summer riding is really ehen you appreciate it's features.
@viscerok avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@viscerok avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Anything is quieter than the half lid I was wearing haha. I ride with my headphones in 99% of the time and found that even with the music on, I can still hear pretty good. I may try and plug some holes like you suggest if it becomes bothersome. I don't as of yet have any need for the N-Com since it's just me.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0172s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0099s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]