OP
UTC

2009 LXS 150

2009 LXS 150
UTC quote
Was thinking of upgrading my brake lines to stainless steel brake lines since I am in need of changing out the rear brake line anyways.

Has anyone done this on the LX 150? I've searched and only came up with the GTS.
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Re: LX 150 Stainless Steel Brake Lines
MikeN02 wrote:
Was thinking of upgrading my brake lines to stainless steel brake lines since I am in need of changing out the rear brake line anyways.

Has anyone done this on the LX 150? I've searched and only came up with the GTS.
The rear brake on the LX is a cable operated drum brake. Are you trying to upgrade the cable to stainless?
OP
UTC

2009 LXS 150

2009 LXS 150
UTC quote
Re: LX 150 Stainless Steel Brake Lines
NightWing wrote:
The rear brake on the LX is a cable operated drum brake. Are you trying to upgrade the cable to stainless?
Both if possible, the rear brake line snapped so I have no rear brake. Also don't need to replace them as much as regular OEM.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
Rear brake "stainless" upgrade ain't gonna happen -- it's a cable.

Front? If you can't find aftermarket, might consider OE GT/S one. Stainless baided line from the factory and dirt cheap used on ebay ~ $20 shipped.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
MIKE yours too? Apparently it's a known weak point and you need to throw some lube on therm yearly. Even mentions it in the manual. It's an awful feeling to need to stop, pull on the rear brake lever and then have it go limp. Crying or Very sad emoticon I replaced mine with a OEM one. I don't know if a stainless steel one (if you even can) would help since it's at the connection. I'm no mechanic tho. Good luck
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
The tensile strength of mild steel vs stainless is very close to the same number. What makes a much bigger difference then the material is the thickness of the inner cable that is doing the pulling on the brake. I doubt you could even find a LX rear brake cable with a stainless steel inner cable. You could probably get something custom made. But ultimately, you can avoid all that trouble with regular maintenance (lubrication). This is especially important if you live near the coast where things tend to be a bit more suseptable to rust.

When it comes to hydraulic brake lines, like the front brake on your LX, there is some benefit to using a stainless steel braided line. There is additional strength to protect against a "blow out" of the line, but you'll probably notice a more rigid (less mushy) feel to the brake more than anything. This is because regular brake lines have a tendancy to expand just a little when you apply braking force. Stainless braided lines can't expand as much because of the braiding. This results is a less mushy feel at the lever.

-Craig
OP
UTC

2009 LXS 150

2009 LXS 150
UTC quote
judy wrote:
MIKE yours too? Apparently it's a known weak point and you need to throw some lube on therm yearly. Even mentions it in the manual. It's an awful feeling to need to stop, pull on the rear brake lever and then have it go limp. Crying or Very sad emoticon I replaced mine with a OEM one. I don't know if a stainless steel one (if you even can) would help since it's at the connection. I'm no mechanic tho. Good luck
Yeah it was pretty odd. Happened out of no where, no rear brake. I was on a hill actually and it started to roll a little bit and so I used my front.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I was coming thru a corner and needed to stop. Good thing i had a bunch of distance between myself and Jim. Some teenagers on scooters that didn't have anything working but the engine, did a hard stop and turn in front of him and he had to slam on the brakes. I did but i had more room. Not fun
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0136s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]