OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
I just bought a Fly 150 with 4000 miles on it, right when it needed an oil change. I'm the third owner, and the second owner bought it at about 3700, but being a larger guy, decided he wanted something with more displacement. When he bought it, he had taken it to our local Vespa dealer, who inspected it, and replaced the plastic panel around the ignition (damage from theft that had occurred with the first owner). The Vespa people had stated that the bike looked "like new," but this didn't involve changing the oil.

So I replaced the oil yesterday, and there were a bunch of metal shavings in the oil pre-filter! The oil wasn't gross -- it doesn't seem that anyone neglected to change it.

All of the flakes are very thin and many of them were poking through and stuck in the pre-filter holes. I should have taken a picture, but I've made a terrible free-hand drawing to try to illustrate what these flakes looked like.

There were a few longer curved flakes, and many little dandruff-sized darker flakes. There were also some little bits of what appeared to be red paper. Everything was very thin. The curvy flakes were shiny on a side, and looked like aluminum. The dark flakes I couldn't tell and didn't test with a magnet.

The pre-filter itself wasn't warped or damaged. It wasn't absolutely white, but more of a beige color (see
"beige" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beige).

Right now my theory/hope is that the first owner had replaced the oil and filter as needed, on his own, but had consistently neglected to clean the pre-filter.

The bike rides nicely, I've put enough miles on it to notice that the gas mileage is ~60-70 mpg, where it should be, assuming that the gas needle is accurate. In the past, with cars, I've found that you can usually tell engine damage -- it shows itself in the acceleration and or noise.

My questions are: (1) Should I worry? and (2)What should I do?

Right now, my plan is to change the oil in a couple hundred miles to check for more metal flakes. And maybe then worry, if necessary.

What do you guys think?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
sounds like the motor is done breaking in. i really don't think you have a problem, the motors are pretty bullet proof. but i would let the dealer know about what you found just so it is noted. this really does not seem bad. i usally got a small amount of "glitter" in my oil every oil change when i ran the 150cc kit.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Good plan to check again in a couple of hundred miles - but I'd bet that pre-filter hasn't been cleaned before. I'd have the same concerns as you, but wouldn't worry too much. If there is any more at 200 miles, take off the side of the sump and check in there too, clean it out and then give it another 200 miles. I bet it's all good now you've cleaned it though.

I had one bike that showed up tiny slivers at both first and second services, but none after that - and all others have been clean from the start. All worked just fine.
@cincinnati_john avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'07 GTS-250ie - sold and gone

Ossessionato
@cincinnati_john avatar
'07 GTS-250ie - sold and gone
UTC quote
Here's what my oil screen looked like at break-in; there was nothing in this screen at the second oil change:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@scootmom avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'09 BV250, '02 ET2 '07 LX150

Molto Verboso
@scootmom avatar
'09 BV250, '02 ET2 '07 LX150
UTC quote
You really can't do much more than take the advice given here, particularly
Jimc's. There isn't much that comes to the forum that he hasn't dealt with at one time or another.

Edit: Geez I hope that came out right.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
ROFL emoticon

I do like puzzle-solving, that is certainly true.
OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
Hey, John, the small shavings I saw looked similar to that. I had quite a bit more red gasket and no green gasket. But the curly shavings were looong compared to any of those. In terms of your picture, they would have extended about 3/4 of the way along the length of one of those pre-filter windows.

scootmom/jimc, I'm with you both. It seems that as long as they're very thin on a side, they're maybe just flashing/or burr?/ or IReallyDon'tKnowTheCorrectTechnicalTerm that didn't get knocked loose in manufacture. I'll check again in a couple hundred mi and hope that it looks clean.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
I'm with Jim on this one and don't think the screen was cleaned properly during the first oil change.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
Re: Fly 150 -- 4k miles and thin metal shavings in the oil
iasonas wrote:
Right now, my plan is to change the oil in a couple hundred miles to check for more metal flakes. And maybe then worry, if necessary.
That's all you can do.

Theft is the wild card. "Ride it like you stole it" is cliche for a reason.

And only 300 miles by second owner is suspect.

Wish you luck. I've bought a used lemon or two.
OP
UTC

Fly 150

Fly 150
UTC quote
Wait, can you fatally over-rev the engine? I wouldn't have thought that was possible with it being fully automatic.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
It might be possible on a long, very steep downhill... one that is steep enough to overcome compression braking after the rev limiter has kicked in.

You'd probably soil your pants and apply your brakes before that happened, though. Razz emoticon
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum from Hawaii. I didn't have too many bits of metal when i did my first oil change but they were there. Like others have said see what happens on your next one. If it's running well i wouldn't worry about it. Have fun with your new ride.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0183s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0091s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]