UTC

Addicted
Pearly White GT 200 Buttercream '79 P200

Addicted
@thatonegirl avatar
UTC quote
Hey everybody!

Its time to expand my geographical range - so I need a trailer. I shall now consult the braintrust that is MV - so tell me what you know! (Yes - I checked out the wiki and did a search. I feel unfulfilled. haha)

I'm looking for something smallish, as I don't really have much room at home to store it, and its gotta be towed by a 4cyl crossover, but I want to have room for at least two scooters and I don't want to be dealing with some chinese piece of junk that's gonna leave my mechanically-stunted self stranded on the side of the road with my scooter strewn across the freeway in bits. Because that's just sad.

Anyway, some of my initial questions include:

Motorcycle trailer with rails vs. flatbed utility-type trailer?
Manufacturers to consider? Avoid?
Size necessary for two - three scoots?
When buying used - things to watch out for?
Maintenance?

Santa (aka Dad) purchased and installed a trailer hitch on my car, which was really exciting. But a hitch without a trailer is just lonely. So....
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
Trailers...

- Do you think you will ever use the trailer for anything but the scooters? If so, then a utility trailer is the way to go..., which may rule out 'Trailer in a Bag' and other options (which are great for taking up minimal amounts of space).

- Make sure there are springs of some sort for the wheels/axles...

- (guessing here), Bed should be 5' wide or so, at least long enough for the scooters.

- Tilting bed might not be a good idea, room for ramps to load scooters might be a good idea.

- Used: look for dryrot on the tires, see if it 'tracks' straight when pulled behind your vehicle, check for grease on the axles/hubs, make sure all lights/reflectors work, make sure it has a clear title/registration.

I am sure others will chime in with more info... I have to run off and finish a writing project.

Good luck!

Desi B.
@gregshooter45 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 & 2007 GTS 250ie, 1975 Rally 200

Hooked
@gregshooter45 avatar
2006 & 2007 GTS 250ie, 1975 Rally 200
UTC quote
Kendon Trailer. Works for Scooter and motorcycle. Comes in a two, three bike setup. When not being used it can be stored upright.

I have their two bike trailer. Kendon is building me a five scooter set up.
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 GT200 & 2005 PX150(sold), 2005 Bajaj Tuktuk

Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC quote
I picked mine up at Lowes for about $500

its a 4x6 utility with a flop down back gate, ride right up!

works great for me....I fabbed up a tire holder in the center with 2x4's strap wheel tight to front of trailer, then 2 straps from front to back and good to go...

one thing to watch out for is smallish tires....I would not use anything with tires smaller than 12"
@lyns57 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS250

Hooked
@lyns57 avatar
Vespa GTS250
UTC quote
+1 on Brody's statement about tire size.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Best place to start
Scooter Transport

You'll find "sport utility trailers" folding models used by many of us.
Kendon are very nice if you are willing to pay the price. Someone is sure to bring up Harbor Fright, run don't walk away from them. Construction doesn't compare to SUT, Kendon.
@scutrbrau avatar
UTC

The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT

The Beer Guy
@scutrbrau avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
UTC quote
Like Brody, I got a utility trailer from a big box store. I think the brand was Snow Bear or something like that. I mounted two Condor chocks in it for our scooters. I recently got a ramp but previously had used the tailgate inverted to get them in and out.

Although I've only used the trailer for short trips for the most part, I did haul a full load of stuff for 900 miles last summer. It performed beautifully at highway speeds.

While I've got a larger vehicle now, I first towed the trailer with a Honda CR-V with no difficulty.

If you have the room to store it AND you think you might have a use for it, I'd suggest the utility trailer since you'll find it handy for lots of other things. Beware, though, of all the friends who know you've got the ability to move their stuff.
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
This may be of some help: Trailering to Amerivespa - Lessons Learned

The trailer is from Tractor Supply. I added the plywood floor over the mesh because I felt the mesh "gave" too much and wanted something more solid. That one is about $600 and is 4' x 7'. They have larger ones, which may be better for more than one scooter.
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC quote
I used my to lug around a portable glass furnace I had made to do art shows.....the F-er was waaaayyy heavy.....like close to a ton!

never had ANY problem running that around with the furnace
or the scoot
or the quad
or picking up hay for the horses...you get my drift?

they are def. handy to have.....more so than a trailer in a bag.....

my rear gate it made of angle iron and expanded metal, unhook the sides and it flops down......would be nice if it could be removed from the trailer, but it works well for me...

heres the one i got
www.lowes.com/pd_6745-15476-4X7G_0__?productId=3501882&Ntt=trailer&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtrailer&facetInfo=

sortof thought it was 6' long.......
@bender avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300ie Super

Hooked
@bender avatar
GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
I like you don't have much room to store things... so I use a Trailer in a Bag.

http://trailerinabag.com/products.html

They have a dual carrier version and you can use the Condor chocks with them.

Its pretty easy to put together and take apart. Fits in a huge duffel bag. The trick is to place the duffel bag where you want to store the trailer because you are not going to move it once you have everything in the bag.
@karlu avatar
UTC

Hooked
'12 Kymco People GTi300, '06 Yamaha Morphous,'10 Vespa GTS300s

Hooked
@karlu avatar
'12 Kymco People GTi300, '06 Yamaha Morphous,'10 Vespa GTS300s
UTC quote
trailer
Have you considered a rental trailer? If room at home is a real problem, you might look into just renting a trailer from U Haul...I think they even have a trailer designed for two scooters/motorcycles. Might be heavy tho. Then, there's no room problem. If you're going to take several week long trips a year it might get expensive, however.

I personally have a single track Kendon trailer that I bought second hand that is really good, folds up, and is fairly light.

Good luck.

karlu
las cruces, nm
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I've got a trailer in a bag - space is a premium. We have the two bike setup with condor scooter chocks. What I like is it is easily configurable for either one or two scoots.

We don't have any need for a utility trailer or if I did I'd borrow my brother's that he uses for hauling hay, his motorcycles, atvs and whatever.

However, if you use is only occasional and space is limited renting a motorcyle trailer is a reasonable alternative. We considered renting one instead of riding from my brother's house to my son's school (LA traffic) and it would have cost $14 per day. Its also what my other brother did when he bought his BMW motorcycle in Pheonix. He drove out, inspected/bought the bike picked up a uhaul and drove it home. Sure he could have flown out, bought the bike and ridden it home but he wasn't sure if he'd actually buy it and he didn't want to ride a new bike 600 miles home the same day he bought it.
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
look at this site
http://www.theusatrailerstore.com/

1-3 scooters
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
I got mine from Craigslist but it's the same as the ones they sell at Lowes, etc.

It's a 5 x 8 so I can haul a sheets of plywood or drywall if I need to. It had a mesh floor so I put treated plywood down as a floor. That makes it easier to fasten my chocks down.

I also put on some more tie downs and put on 3 removable tie downs down the middle of the trailer. That makes it a lot easier to tie the scooters down. They screw into a "nut" and when you take them out you've got a flat surface so they're not in the way.

I loaded the scooters on the trailer and then determined where the tie downs needed to go and put on some extra tie down brackets.

I'll track down a picture and put it up.
⚠️ Last edited by Dutch on UTC; edited 1 time
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
GTV on trailer
Here's my trailer with the GTV loaded on it. Plenty of room for another
scooter.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
Dutch wrote:
I also put on some more tie downs and put on 3 removable tie downs down the middle of the trailer. That makes it a lot easier to tie the scooters down. They screw into a "nut" and when you take them out you've got a flat surface so they're not in the way.
Can you tell us more about the removable tie-downs? Sounds interesting.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
I can't remember if this was the brand I got. I can't believe I paid that much for them. But mine look like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pickup-Trailer-Eye-bolt-Tie-Down-Anchor/dp/B004Z6Q5ZO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Someone mentioned above regarding springs, and I agree that a minimal suspension is needed.

Avoid trailers with 10" wheels as the tires and bearings will not hold up at highway speeds. 12" minimum is what I would recommend.

It would be a good idea to head to a Lowe's, Home Depot, Tractor Supply or simlar brick and mortar to at least give yourself the chance to see first hand the trailers you might consider. Also look at the tie down locations to ensure you can secure your scoots properly. Another thing to look for is the electrical hookup for your lights. Typically small trailers will have a flat four connector, but larger trailers could have a different configuration for trailer brakes and additional tunning lights.

Other items to consider are a good locking hitch pin and tongue/pintle lock (you can find these at WalMart for about $30). You would be amazed at how many and how often small trailers will get stolen. With the advent of receiver hitches, thieves were ignoring the presence of a tongue lock & simply pulling the whole receiver out of the parked vehicle and taking off - so I recommend the locking hitch pin as well.

Good luck and show us your setup when done.
@jkerstinj avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Molto Verboso
@jkerstinj avatar
Vespa ET4
UTC quote
I also recommend Trailer-in-a-Bag. I think they only sell it with the Condor wheel chocks now. The last photo was with the original wheel holder, which didn't work well.

⚠️ Last edited by JKerstinJ on UTC; edited 1 time
@ffscoot avatar
UTC

Granturismo

@ffscoot avatar
Granturismo
UTC quote
Girl- Lots of good trailer ideas from others. I will add a few considerations from my own preferences.

Width matters. More is more spaceous until you match the width of the tow vehicle, and then more than that is too much. Reasons include vision, ease of towing, fuel economy, and again, ease of towing.

More LENGTH is easier to handle than more width. Ya- turning radius is affected by length, but that is not often an issue, compared to the extra utility afforded by an extra couple feet of length.

Aluminium is wonderful for lightness and non-corrosion. Of course, it is expensive, but if you find an alum' this is not tons more $, take it!

While this next part is outside your initial spec's, here it is for thought:
ENCLOSED trailers are more money, and more to tow, but if you get one that fits behind the tow vehicle (mine goes behind a Honda Ridgeline) they afford ease of securing things, weather protection, and the ability to carry more stuff; and not hard to tow. I stagger the bikes inside my 12 footer, to make room for the handlebars to overlap, and have plenty of floor space for other toys, gear bags, etc. My wife and i have found many alternative uses for the enclosed, from household appliances to furniture to garden plants...

Back to moto trailers- for limited space, the stand-up models are superb, such as Kendon, and they can tow at 90mph, without complaint

Tie-downs are now available with closing hooks, or clips, instead of open hooks. This can save you from a tip-over, as can happen when a hook comes off the bike or the floor. Hooks should never come off, but many have. Clips are good.
[/list]
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
if you want to go really light on trailer weight go aluminum from featherlite trailers. now they'll cost more but they hold their value too.

http://www.fthr.com/motorcycle-trailers-recreational-trailers/
@bob_cowley avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250, P200E

Addicted
@bob_cowley avatar
GTS250, P200E
UTC quote
- Canyon Dancers for handlebar tiedowns.
- A wide ramp, or trifold removable ramp so you can put your feet down when you ride the scoot up the ramp.
- Bearing Buddies to constantly lubricate the bearings and keep the water out.
- Rubber coated caribiners or safety hooks instead of standard hooks so if the tiedown becomes slack, the hook cannot disconnect.

Cheers and good luck,
Bob
@skymizer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scoot Sold

Ossessionato
@skymizer avatar
Scoot Sold
UTC quote
Excellent responses by all! Print and shop trailer reference buying guide
right here! Gosh, we've really had some great threads this winter!
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
UTC quote
Bob Cowley wrote:
Rubber coated caribiners
Can you post a source for these? My search came up with a zillion, but maybe my search terms weren't good enough.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Heat shrink tubing works great. BUT be certain the biners you buy are specified for your application. Lots of biners designed to clip keys or small tools that have very little strength for stressed applications.

MSA carabiners are the best in our application. I use an alloy twist gate style,
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
I'm considering the trailer in a bag, but it would have to be stored in my truck bed (Ford Ranger) under the hard cover. This means I would have to remove the wheels from the axles every time I took the trailer apart to store, because the tire diameter is about three inches more than the depth of my truck bed.

I am still considering the TIAB, but wonder if there would be a safety/mechanical issue removing the tire from the axle after a number of times? It would not be more than probably eight times a year I would have to do this, but I am concerned about creating a mechanical issue. Should this be a concern?
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
Remember you get what you pay for. I would stay away from those bolt together trailers. Bolts loosen up. 12 inch tires or bigger. I prefer 13 to 14. I use a big tex model # SL 19. The bed is 51 inch's by 9 foot. Flop down rear gate. Very well made. Do not attempt to drive on unhitched from vehicle. You can buy a couple of extending magnet base poles with tennis balls on top so you can see where the hitch is. Put one on the trailer hitch and one on the receiver. Keeps from tearing up your bumper. Only cost 4 or 5 dollars from harbor freight. This model cost 850. Came with sand plate and roller wheel. Had to pay 85 for the spare tire and rim. Still do not know how to upload pictures. Go online Big Tex trailers if you want to see it. Double strap. If one breaks you still have the back up. I don't compleatly trust those hook on straps even tho I use them. A little slack and opps. Of coarse each to their own.
@sanogeo1 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Red Mp 3 500

Molto Verboso
@sanogeo1 avatar
Red Mp 3 500
UTC quote
I like that featherlite. Nice. I don't know what cross-over you have, but check your pull weight limit. And tongue weight. Some of the small 4 bangers have a 1000-1500 limit. With a vespa and lite trailer you should be alright, If the salesman says no problem. In the words of Ronald Regan. Trust but verify. Check for your self. You don't want to burn up your tranny. Sorry for rambling.
OP
@thatonegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@thatonegirl avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for all of the input!

Space is definitely an issue here, so those Trailer in a Bag trailers seem like a good idea, but the Price! Ouch!

I did consider a rental, as that would be good for the space issue. Interestingly, Uhaul doesn't have a double-cycle trailer option, so I'd have to rent one of their utility trailers. No place to bolt in a wheel chock, so would need an alternate solution for that...

On the utility trailer vs. cycle rail type - I just can't imagine when I would ever use a trailer. I go back and forth b/c the utility type are more readily available used around here, but it just seems so BIG! Prices, however, are fairly comparable, so... hmm.

Still looking...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
ThatOneGirl wrote:
No place to bolt in a wheel chock, so would need an alternate solution for that....
Home-made wooden ones work just as well.
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@brodyfrompa avatar
UTC quote
my size 4x6 at tractor supply is 499.....if you have no other use for it, then permamently set it up for hauling scoots
OP
@thatonegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@thatonegirl avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
ThatOneGirl wrote:
No place to bolt in a wheel chock, so would need an alternate solution for that....
Home-made wooden ones work just as well.
So... I'm gonna need a drill. Or a hammer. I might own a hammer.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Just a saw and a hammer will do. Oh, a few nails...

Better would be screws. Feel free to hammer them in, then twist for the last 1/2".

So a screwdriver of some sort might be handy.
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
ThatOneGirl wrote:
Thanks for all of the input!

Space is definitely an issue here, so those Trailer in a Bag trailers seem like a good idea, but the Price! Ouch!

I did consider a rental, as that would be good for the space issue. Interestingly, Uhaul doesn't have a double-cycle trailer option, so I'd have to rent one of their utility trailers. No place to bolt in a wheel chock, so would need an alternate solution for that...

On the utility trailer vs. cycle rail type - I just can't imagine when I would ever use a trailer. I go back and forth b/c the utility type are more readily available used around here, but it just seems so BIG! Prices, however, are fairly comparable, so... hmm.

Still looking...
What about seeing if a neighbor/friends has a trailer you could borrow or rent? Or maybe a local motorcycle shop might have a trailer to rent? Just some thoughts...

Desi B.
@herfadore avatar
UTC

Addicted
21 speed TREK WAAAA!!

Addicted
@herfadore avatar
21 speed TREK WAAAA!!
UTC quote
I have an aluma and I love it. It is all alu-mini-um so you have to do no maint. Luv it !!1

www. aluma.com I think
UTC

2006 Vespa GTS250ie

2006 Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
if you just need one bike you get a tilt-a-rack. Several people in our club and area have them and love them. Very easy to use.
@davidh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250 & 2013 BMW C650 GT

Hooked
@davidh avatar
UTC quote
ScooterGirlinAL wrote:
I'm considering the trailer in a bag, but it would have to be stored in my truck bed (Ford Ranger) under the hard cover. This means I would have to remove the wheels from the axles every time I took the trailer apart to store, because the tire diameter is about three inches more than the depth of my truck bed.

I am still considering the TIAB, but wonder if there would be a safety/mechanical issue removing the tire from the axle after a number of times? It would not be more than probably eight times a year I would have to do this, but I am concerned about creating a mechanical issue. Should this be a concern?
I've had my TiaB for over a year and put about 2,500 miles on it without any problems. To answer your question, you wouldn't remove the wheel from the axle but rather just pull one of the axles from the center rail assembly to fit in your truck bed. No mechanical worries at all!
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
DavidH wrote:
I've had my TiaB for over a year and put about 2,500 miles on it without any problems. To answer your question, you wouldn't remove the wheel from the axle but rather just pull one of the axles from the center rail assembly to fit in your truck bed. No mechanical worries at all!
Hi David,

I did purchase a TIAB and have to remove the wheels as they stand taller than the depth of my truck bed. I built a shelf and it all fits in the back third of the bed, no problems!
@davidh avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@davidh avatar
UTC quote
ScooterGirlinAL wrote:
DavidH wrote:
Hi David,

I did purchase a TIAB and have to remove the wheels as they stand taller than the depth of my truck bed. I built a shelf and it all fits in the back third of the bed, no problems!
Very cool; I couldn't picture it initially but it all makes sense now!
@scootergirlinal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BV 350

Ossessionato
@scootergirlinal avatar
2012 BV 350
UTC quote
DavidH wrote:
Hi David,

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1187s ][ Queries: 5 (0.1004s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]