@blaising avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300

Enthusiast
@blaising avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Headed out at 8 am, squinting hard into the sun as I headed east into the boonies of south FL. Most of the roads down here are flat and straight so you learn to take your pleasure in the subtle things, like the intoxicating perfume as you pass through orange groves, or the steamy horizons of grass, palms, and oak hammocks. As you get away from the coastal areas, you find you have the roads pretty much to yourself. Lots of solitude.

Hwy 29 is a great stretch of clean 2-lane running south all the way into Everglades City, buried deep in the mangroves of the Ten Thousand Islands. Had a great ride of a 100 or so miles, took a few pics along the way, and got back around noon, just in time to mow the lawn.
Lots of little county and state parks along the way to explore, like this one commemorating the old Sunniland oil field.
Lots of little county and state parks along the way to explore, like this one commemorating the old Sunniland oil field.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
...or this one: Fakahatchee Strand Park
...or this one: Fakahatchee Strand Park
This guy has the landscape all to himself. Must be awesomely silent at night out here.
This guy has the landscape all to himself. Must be awesomely silent at night out here.
Copeland...just a small collection of modest homes...and big dogs. Got chased by a couple of mean looking rottweilers, with the owner laughing at my scoot.
Copeland...just a small collection of modest homes...and big dogs. Got chased by a couple of mean looking rottweilers, with the owner laughing at my scoot.
...and an old school Baptist church
...and an old school Baptist church
Historic Everglades City and it's signature landmark: the old City Hall.
Historic Everglades City and it's signature landmark: the old City Hall.
Stuck my phone up to the glass to show the very cool interior
Stuck my phone up to the glass to show the very cool interior
The old Rod and Gun Club sits right on the Barron River. You can still get lunch there (no A/C still) just like Hemingway did.
The old Rod and Gun Club sits right on the Barron River. You can still get lunch there (no A/C still) just like Hemingway did.
Fishing and stone crabiing are king here. I'm looking up-river in this shot, but behind me is  the open gulf of Mexico.
Fishing and stone crabiing are king here. I'm looking up-river in this shot, but behind me is the open gulf of Mexico.
If you go a few blocks in any direction you're in the water. It's kinda lonely here.. but magical too.
If you go a few blocks in any direction you're in the water. It's kinda lonely here.. but magical too.
A nice 100 mile loop on a Saturday morning.
A nice 100 mile loop on a Saturday morning.
@smallplastictree avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125ie

Hooked
@smallplastictree avatar
S125ie
UTC quote
Great report!

Do you happen to have a pic of inside the Rod & Gun club? Would love to see where Hemingway dined...or drank.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
I spent a few days down on Marco Island a few years ago, and loved that whole area. I remember going past the Old City hall in your pic above.

Have toask about the bag on the seat. Is that an SX bag or other brand? How do you like it? Looks sharp either way.
OP
@blaising avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS300

Enthusiast
@blaising avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
CrazyCarl wrote:
I spent a few days down on Marco Island a few years ago, and loved that whole area. I remember going past the Old City hall in your pic above.

Have toask about the bag on the seat. Is that an SX bag or other brand? How do you like it? Looks sharp either way.
That's the SX bag. My helmet fits in it, and it makes a nice back rest. If you like sitting way back on your seat it will drive you nuts. But if you sit forward, like me, you'll love it.
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
We usually spend a day or so in Naples with a friend when we're on vacation down there and always try to head out that way for a long lunch.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0326s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0212s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]