OP
UTC

Lurker
'74 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
'74 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Hello all of you Vespa Yodas!

I am grateful and honored to join a community of so many Vespa enthusiast.

My early appreciation of Vespas allowed me to find the Vespa of my dreams - a 74 Vespa Sprint 150 - during my sophomore year of college. Giada (her name) has been a bit of a stallion from time to time, though I of course still love her.

Currently, she is having problems with the clutch/transmission . (more details below).

I will humbly admit that even though I have been a Vespa owner for over 2 years, I am fairy new and novice with understanding the world of Vespa - especially the mechanical side of things.

However, now that I have recently graduated (ASU) I have some more free time to get her properly AND safely running again. Plus I look forward to learning from all of you on how to give even more life to my Vespa to bring her back to her glory days!

That said, this is what I currently need some counsel with:

I can get her started and running , however gears 2 & 3 are just about shot (when on them it rattles and is unstable, plus likely stalls unless I hold down the clutch).

Along with that, gear 1 requireres me pull the clutch to an awkward extreme to make it rideable on that gear or toe even keep it safely on that gear. *Essentially gear 4 is the only one that rides smooth and that I can trust riding on.*

Does anyone have any idea of what this could mean, what I could potentially do to fix it, and what parts I might need? [keep in mind, I'm pretty new to getting into the mechanics of this - but I am eager to learn]

Thank you for supporting a young Jedi on his quest to enjoy many more Vespa adventures!! 8)

Cheers,
Max
⚠️ Last edited by AlifetotheMax on UTC; edited 3 times
UTC

Hooked
'81 P200, '77 Bajaj Sprint, 4T Bajaj's (like 4 of them)

Hooked
'81 P200, '77 Bajaj Sprint, 4T Bajaj's (like 4 of them)
UTC quote
The language that you are using is kind of inprecise, and I'm not sure what your symptoms are from your description. Is the scooter "bucking" because it's popping in and out of gear? That could be worn cruciform or cable adjustment. Are you not getting into the right rev range for certain gears, and therefore "lugging" the motor? That could be dirty carb, rider error, a lot of things. In the two years you've owned it, how many miles have you ridden on it? Are these symptoms new, or are you just now trying to address them?
OP
UTC

Lurker
'74 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
'74 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Thanks for the reply Grover.

Pardon for not being able to explain my self appropriately. The "bucking" description you gave sounds very much like what I have recently experienced.
Quote:
In the two years I have likely ridden it about 300-400 miles, tops (I walked around campus most of the time). These symptoms are the most recent that I have experienced with her - it started during this past fall - though I haven't addressed it until now.

*Before it has had issues with the starting (had some one fix that but they moved out of the state), gas leaking (I was able to solve that), as well as some other quirks that have come up.
Now with what you said, & reading more about cruciforms online, I plan to take it a part this week to find out of it is that or simply a cabe adjustment. (I take it the cable adjustment would be easier, though again I haven't gotten this deep into her).

Is there anything I could expect or may want to keep my eyes open for to make a proper diagnostic when I take it a part?

Thank you again! I appreciate you sharing you expertise.
@jwilliams avatar
UTC

Addicted
'60 Allstate VNB1, '60 GS150 VS5, '61 Cushman VBB1, '62 GS160 Mk1 VSB1, '64 GL VLA1, '74 Rally VSE1 200 Euro, '78 P200e VSX, '06 LX150

Addicted
@jwilliams avatar
'60 Allstate VNB1, '60 GS150 VS5, '61 Cushman VBB1, '62 GS160 Mk1 VSB1, '64 GL VLA1, '74 Rally VSE1 200 Euro, '78 P200e VSX, '06 LX150
UTC quote
If you are going to do it yourself, I refer you to this thread:

Can a rookie change a Cruciform?
OP
UTC

Lurker
'74 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
'74 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
Thank You Jim
I stumbled upon that message board after Grover made me have a better idea of what the problem was with the bike.

Thank you to the both of you. I will follow the advice from that message thread and capture the process for my sanity, & to share it with this community.

All the best!
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint
UTC quote
can i see ur sprint mate, i always like sprint
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0051s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]