OP
@mharrismel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
 
Hooked
@mharrismel avatar
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
UTC quote
I'm making this public to see if others have had similar dealings with Piaggo, and because I feel it's important to be said.

I've had my bike since around June of '09. I did not ride it a lot initially, only on the weekends, as it was not suited for me to ride to work. I began riding it more--five days a week--the last year or so, when I added foot pegs and had my seat redone as a solo driver for my 6' frame. I say this to say my bike went out of warranty the first year with no issues.

Now, around 6k miles, slightly before the first major service, around early last year, my bike began leaking oil into the air box. Long story short, the mechanic out here had it for at least two months, and Sean from Piaggo had to come down here and take possession of my bike. He determined the compression was low, around 90psi when it should have been 150 minimum. Basically, he repaired everything free of charge, even conducting that 6.2k mile service. He even change the coolant and said the variable speed rollers were in good condition. He then personally delivered it to me, as we live in the same city.

Now, at approximately 11, 728k miles, the bike is having the same issue, spitting oil into the box, cutting off when I come to a stop, etc.. The manager at the same shop--a new one because the previous one lost his job due to the matter (which I did not know anything about back then but found out about recently), contacted Sean because I told him this was similar to the previous issues nearly 6k miles ago. Sean instructed him to perform a leak-down test and compression. The compression came back at 150psi, but the leak down came back at 35% when it should be 5% maximum.

Sean then tells him I have to agree to a cover the labor of the repairs--now estimated at around $800--before they would even slightly consider this a good will case. And that's after they review the pictures of the innards that will be taken.

I feel like they're[Sean] trying to pull a fast one now. And yes, it is out of warranty, but if he fixed this same/similar issue before--even the manager says it's too early for this to be happening in the bike's like, given the miles--and now he appears to be trying to wash his hands free of the matter. He personally worked on it before. It it had been done right the first time, this should not be happening now, as I have not neglected the bike in any manner, made no exhaust mods. or anything, and performed all maintenance.

I then placed a called to customer service in New York 212/380-4400. The rep there initially said I had to agree to the tear down as stated by California law. I reiterated that Sean worked on this issued just six thousand miles before, and that Sean had been instructing them [the dealer where I am] to perform a compression, leak-down test, measuring the oil in the bike, etc., with no agreement in place of repairs. Maybe when he got all f the results he possibly figured it was due to the fact that it was not properly repaired the first time--just peculating. Anyhow, the customer service rep took my info. and stated he would look into it and perform an investigation.

Depending on what becomes of this investigation, I am seriously considering pursuing this matter civilly. By the way, when I asked the manager to email him exactly what Sean performed on my bike the first time, he emailed him back that the customer had to agree to the repairs before he would address the matter further. So he doesn't even want to list what he did earlier to my bike!

I need y'all feedback on this. I done with this, I just want to get rid of this bike and move on.

Mel
OP
@mharrismel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
 
Hooked
@mharrismel avatar
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
UTC quote
Dealings with Piaggo
I should have mentioned also that Sean is the Piaggo Technical Representative over Hawaii, South California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13392
Location: Oregon City, OR
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 13392
Location: Oregon City, OR
UTC quote
I'm not sure what you are expecting, but I seriously doubt you have any legal recourse. The bike was previously repaired under warranty. The manufacturer has offered to provide parts for a current repair to a somewhat different problem as a goodwill gesture. You believe that the two problems may be related or that the first repair was not done properly. On the other hand, you have no way of demonstrating this? Your call of course, but (as frustrating as it may be) it doesn't appear that you have very much leverage here.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
just curious here. when you broke the scooter in again after the repair did you baby it or ride it like you stole it? also did you do a oil and filter change at 600 miles or less? and any other oil changes after that to current mileage?
How often do you service your air filter? do you use the oem element or other?
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2649
Location: Roseburg, OR
 
Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2649
Location: Roseburg, OR
UTC quote
I agree with Dooglas; unless you can prove Piaggio sold this bike with substandard materials or a design that doesn't meet minimum industry standards or the work was done improperly. Sean saw to it the bike was repaired the first time for free; even though the bike was out of warranty. I would guess that he feels he went above and beyond what was required already.

I can understand feeling that after purchasing an expensive bike new it should not have engine problems until well past 12,000 miles; let alone having two similar problems by then. I'm afraid you don't have much legal recourse unless you can establish they did something wrong.
@mvtroiano avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1211
Location: Not on my MP3 ;( - Folsom, CA. -
 
Molto Verboso
@mvtroiano avatar
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1211
Location: Not on my MP3 ;( - Folsom, CA. -
UTC quote
I purchased an after market 3 year warranty when I got my 09' MP3-500. I started spitting oil at about 8,000 miles. It shot out about 1500cc during my 20 mile ride to work. After many visits to the shop, they finally repaired it under warranty, and when it was broken down I had a cracked piston.

I would have loved for them to fix it like yours, but that is a rare case to have something major done after warranty has expired. I spent around $300 for my extended warranty, and it was well worth the cost.

If your shop fixed your scoot for free consider yourself lucky! But after the initial warranty ends.... it's up to you.
OP
@mharrismel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
 
Hooked
@mharrismel avatar
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
UTC quote
When I purchased the bike I rode it the way I was instructed to, no exceeding a certain rpm, which I now can't remember.

Yes, Sean did fix the problem for free the first time, but to have this same major issue 6k miles later is to more of an issue of it being out of warranty but but due to the previous work done, which must have been done poorly if even correct if it's happening again already.

Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

And I performed all of my services on time by the dealer, and I don't know what filters were used, as the dealer performed all scheduled maintenance.

On another note, I heard this shop's relationship with Sean is not all that great, as they had to fix a bike Sean had worked on prior and the repairs were due to the poor previous work by Sean. Hmmm

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2649
Location: Roseburg, OR
 
Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2649
Location: Roseburg, OR
UTC quote
mharrismel wrote:
Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
I can certainly sympathize with the first sentence.

Just because I don't think you have a legal right to get this fixed for free doesn't mean my name is Sean.
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4530
Location: Ashburn, Va
 
Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4530
Location: Ashburn, Va
UTC quote
You're lucky they fixed it the first time and now they are offering to pay for parts if you pay for labor, if you don't feel they are taking care of you, you need to step back and look at this closer.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
heinlein wrote:
mharrismel wrote:
Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
I can certainly sympathize with the first sentence.

Just because I don't think you have a legal right to get this fixed for free doesn't mean my name is Sean.
Agreed.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 2009
Joined: UTC
Posts: 192
Location: AZ USA
 
Hooked
MP3 250 2009
Joined: UTC
Posts: 192
Location: AZ USA
UTC quote
Sean Needham. Piaggio (Needs Him!!!) Play on his name.
I will say after dealing with Sean Needham first hand( for over 3 months he worked to try and fix my 2009 MP3 250 ie), I am overly qualified to remark on how he works. Sean spent hours on the phone with me trying to resolve my issues with my lemon Mp3 250 ie. Please view my video thread lemon laws and Mp3's title thread and Mp3 250 stalling on hiway thread here on MV. My Mp3 250 has been in for repairs more times than allowed under the lemon laws of my state; and for more time per occurance,(over 30 days per AZ LL.){I.E> I am a very patient man when I try or have to be, I wanna keep my hairline}. So when guys on the forum speak on rule of law and to the letter of the law, I would like to see some compassion for the Mp3 brother who is going through a tough situation, do we not all trade precious years of our lives saving up green paper to buy our toys?
Mr. Sean Needham does everything in his power to resolve and repair issues. He personally drove, and I still have access to hours of go-pro video(video i am not allowed to repost via piaggio property request), of Sean riding my 2009 MP3 250 ie after he completed his repairs. Piaggio gives Sean the power to resolve issues correctly when it comes to repairs. Sean did not have to speak to his manager, he just goes a head and conservatively investigates and fixes what is wrong. Here is my however; Piaggio's warranty department does not authorize Sean to extend the warranty on problem bikes. I tell you this because on first contact Sean believed after all I had been through he needed to offer me a replacement bike, I said I will give them a final chance on a repair of my current unit so as not to waste my bike(sending a lemon unit to the crusher or dealer auction); but I wanted an extended warranty due to all the issues and down time(since Aug 2011 when purchased new my bike has been completely unreliable and either at shop waiting for parts or in for repairs.) To further complicate the matter My bike was then crashed by GO-AZ or the tow truck driver when it was under Go-AZ(dealers) custody. I was not told of the damage( for over a month. Sean then fixed the tupper ware on my Mp3 250 to the tune of a invoiced $1598.00 billed.=Nice gesture but after almost being killed on the bike due to stalling on the hiway the warranty department had to think over how long in months they wanted to "give" me. Well my wife will not get on the bike unless I literally beg her to come for a ride because she has had one scare to many. I could go on forever but will say they would have given me a new bike with new warranty but only days ago after making me wait over 2 weeks or since December 2011 depending how one looks at it, did they(the warranty department), finally authorize an extension but just for the time the bike was down for repairs= very cheap. I promise you I will tie all of the above up. If Sean had the power to fix your bike again, I believe he is decent and wants the good will from you his customer, and he actually cares about the perception of his company which he is loyal too with out fault. Sean is moral and ethical I believe, and has character that most companies should seek but do not. Piaggio needs to give Sean power over the stingy warranty department, if Piaggio can not build them like a honda or even Kawasaki, if they just set up a faith or Gold standard service commitment to their Piaggio line, the customers would deal with the issues as would Piaggio ; but they would create a base that would do and recommend repeat business. Please a quick simily Cessna built one of the sexiest Jets the Citation X biz jet. The jet being ultra fast and maybe developing too quickly became the lemon of the industry (as fast as mach 1=MP3), Cessna set up the gold standard of MX with Citation X owners and ended up retaining much market share due to the gesture of goodwill and turning much publicized bad publicity into good free marketing on the turn around. Hope Piaggio does a turn around for you, and hears you, and turns this around, this social media works well for this trust me, please post videos as much as you can via youtube time permitting; but if you can afford the labor, repair your bike for the $800 or negotiate with the shop its rate it is a bad economy, I would say write it off as MX on an exotic Italian piece of machinery and enjoy your bike for another 6000 miles at least. spartanturtle333 on yahoo.com. ps sean is too busy for fake screen name and if you call my PM'd phone number , please ask for Sean thats what my friends call me= my attempt joke/humor/tie up of all above. L=S333
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2008
Location: Saratoga, N.Y.
 
Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2008
Location: Saratoga, N.Y.
UTC quote
Here are some paragraph breaks for you, Spartanturtle333.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
ramblerdan wrote:
Here are some paragraph breaks for you, Spartanturtle333.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
@deflorence avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3ie 400cc
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Enthusiast
@deflorence avatar
Piaggio MP3ie 400cc
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
UTC quote
Spartanturtle333, I had posted on your other thread and had sympathized with you on my post, however I also questioned as to why you did not take Sean on his offer to replace the bike the first time around. Instead you insisted that they fix your MP3 which you had numerously stated was a lemon based on the numerous times it had failed you on the road citing the dangerous situation it put you in.

Then knowingly that your bike has had these dangerous stalling issues you convince your wife to go on a ride with you knowing fully well the danger of the bike stalling again, even though you knew she was very scared of the bike as you stated due to past experience.

I'm really trying to sympathize with you on your situation cause I know how much it really sucks to have to go through all that hassle. But it seams to me after reading all your post that you may be the cause of all your aggravation and loss of hair as you stated.

Piaggio offered to replace your bike but you refused insisting that they instead fix the so called lemon bike. Then you ask/demand that they extend your warranty on a bike that both the factory and the dealer now know is a lemon and will only cost them more money in the future to keep repairing and it would probaly really be cheaper for them to just give you another bike and take your lemon to the crusher.

I've had my 400ie for over a year now and have been fortunate to not have the problems that others have mentioned here. But for all the areas of maintenance, modifications, and troubleshooting I've had to do on my bike, this forum has been one of the best sources for very good information. The guys in this forum are very good people who have each other's best interest in mind and generaly want to try and help out a fellow MP3 owner.

When you say that they need to be symphatetic to a fellow owner who is having issues with Piaggio, from what I've seen and read they have been. But at the same token they are telling you folks like it is. No bullshit, just the facts.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
deflorence wrote:
Spartanturtle333, I had posted on your other thread and had sympathized with you on my post, however I also questioned as to why you did not take Sean on his offer to replace the bike the first time around. Instead you insisted that they fix your MP3 which you had numerously stated was a lemon based on the numerous times it had failed you on the road citing the dangerous situation it put you in.

Then knowingly that your bike has had these dangerous stalling issues you convince your wife to go on a ride with you knowing fully well the danger of the bike stalling again, even though you knew she was very scared of the bike as you stated due to past experience.

I'm really trying to sympathize with you on your situation cause I know how much it really sucks to have to go through all that hassle. But it seams to me after reading all your post that you may be the cause of all your aggravation and loss of hair as you stated.

Piaggio offered to replace your bike but you refused insisting that they instead fix the so called lemon bike. Then you ask/demand that they extend your warranty on a bike that both the factory and the dealer now know is a lemon and will only cost them more money in the future to keep repairing and it would probaly really be cheaper for them to just give you another bike and take your lemon to the crusher.

I've had my 400ie for over a year now and have been fortunate to not have the problems that others have mentioned here. But for all the areas of maintenance, modifications, and troubleshooting I've had to do on my bike, this forum has been one of the best sources for very good information. The guys in this forum are very good people who have each other's best interest in mind and generaly want to try and help out a fellow MP3 owner.

When you say that they need to be symphatetic to a fellow owner who is having issues with Piaggio, from what I've seen and read they have been. But at the same token they are telling you folks like it is. No bullshit, just the facts.
just remember your only hearing what he is saying and it is 1 sided. theres more in this story then what we know here.
@deflorence avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3ie 400cc
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Enthusiast
@deflorence avatar
Piaggio MP3ie 400cc
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
UTC quote
OAD, Your right, and a very good point. I guess I'm just confused that after all the issues he's gone through and on his last email on this thread he has now stated that it has been in for more repairs than the lemon law allows then why not pursue a direct replacement of the bike rather than continue to ride a potential death trap and continue to try and keep fixing it.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 2009
Joined: UTC
Posts: 192
Location: AZ USA
 
Hooked
MP3 250 2009
Joined: UTC
Posts: 192
Location: AZ USA
UTC quote
i agree totally and think you guys are correct. i was stupid
deflorence wrote:
Spartanturtle333, I had posted on your other thread and had sympathized with you on my post, however I also questioned as to why you did not take Sean on his offer to replace the bike the first time around. Instead you insisted that they fix your MP3 which you had numerously stated was a lemon based on the numerous times it had failed you on the road citing the dangerous situation it put you in.

Then knowingly that your bike has had these dangerous stalling issues you convince your wife to go on a ride with you knowing fully well the danger of the bike stalling again, even though you knew she was very scared of the bike as you stated due to past experience.

I'm really trying to sympathize with you on your situation cause I know how much it really sucks to have to go through all that hassle. But it seams to me after reading all your post that you may be the cause of all your aggravation and loss of hair as you stated.

Piaggio offered to replace your bike but you refused insisting that they instead fix the so called lemon bike. Then you ask/demand that they extend your warranty on a bike that both the factory and the dealer now know is a lemon and will only cost them more money in the future to keep repairing and it would probaly really be cheaper for them to just give you another bike and take your lemon to the crusher.

I've had my 400ie for over a year now and have been fortunate to not have the problems that others have mentioned here. But for all the areas of maintenance, modifications, and troubleshooting I've had to do on my bike, this forum has been one of the best sources for very good information. The guys in this forum are very good people who have each other's best interest in mind and generaly want to try and help out a fellow MP3 owner.

When you say that they need to be symphatetic to a fellow owner who is having issues with Piaggio, from what I've seen and read they have been. But at the same token they are telling you folks like it is. No bullshit, just the facts.
Sean Needham made the offer to replace but it was in a way that led me to believe that he wanted to know if i would be inclined to try just one more repair under his supervision. Their was a subtle dance that went on during our initial contact due to the fact that a 3rd party crashed my bike and who would be responsible for the damages? I was looking down the barrel of a month passing and not being notified of damages done to my bike while out of mt custody. Now that my bike is still giving me issues. I agree with all your sentiments and my wifes. I wish I would have whined like all these wanker passengers who get scared of turbulence but then want brand new free tickets to Hawaii even though their trip was only 350 nm from Memphis to DTW lets say. I am kinda a little bit of a green nut and believed at that time the issue to be repairable. I don't want to make the thread about me here . I was merely stating brother mharrismel was incorrect in his assesment of Rep. Sean Needham. MR. Needham being honest is my point; and how I came to deal with the gentleman. This thread is not an S333 thread but i offer my support and know and understand Mr. mharrismel 's stress/concerns, he miss assessed Mr. Needham; but he is not wrong on Piaggio being the purveyor of Lemony delights. Piaggio is not quick to respond to USA QC issues as I see them rolling out the red carpet in Asia or the EU when problems arise. We all benefit via candid discussions of articles related to the Mp3. Lets not make the Mp3 the retarded child we shield from criticism due to its inherent lack of quality DNA or QC. Let the insults fly, V1 rotate V2 accelerate -" we go!"
PPS use the above as my permission to ask Sean Needham his side of my story = his story and= truth and I know their will be no contradictions three side to every story is bullshit, one story equals the truth ...the rest is perspective.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43712
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43712
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
I like what you say, I get out of breath reading it.

There's a 'Enter' or 'Return' key on your keyboard I'm sure - *please* use it a tad more.
OP
@mharrismel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
 
Hooked
@mharrismel avatar
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
UTC quote
Well I was incorrect with my perceived judgment of Sean, and I apologize for the premature action. It was just my emotions stepping before me given the low mileage compared to the major issue here. I am going to agree to the labor tear-down and go from there. I have someone who is very urgent about buying the bike, and I have been completely transparent about the issue with the potential buyer, even giving him the number to the mechanic's shop, and yet he still wants to purchase it. Whether I get assistance with the repairs or not, I am going to get the bike fixed and then let it free.

I also want to add when Sean fixed my bike the first time, he was very cordial and went above and beyond as compared with my other occurrences with mechanics.

Mel
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
mharrismel wrote:
Well I was incorrect with my perceived judgment of Sean, and I apologize for the premature action. It was just my emotions stepping before me given the low mileage compared to the major issue here. I am going to agree to the labor tear-down and go from there. I have someone who is very urgent about buying the bike, and I have been completely transparent about the issue with the potential buyer, even giving him the number to the mechanic's shop, and yet he still wants to purchase it. Whether I get assistance with the repairs or not, I am going to get the bike fixed and then let it free.

I also want to add when Sean fixed my bike the first time, he was very cordial and went above and beyond as compared with my other occurrences with mechanics.

Mel
Probably a good idea. Get out of it what you can and sell the bike. HEY FLOWMAX! I am having the same problem with my MP500 at 35,000. Air filter saturated. Today I need to pull the plugs and clean them. Bike failed to start yesterday. Probably fouled from all the oil back pressure thru the rings. This is a common problem with 1 cylinder engines at consistently high speeds. Blow-back. I might have a broken ring. I'm pissed about this. I'm just going to see what PiaggioUSA in NY has to say about this, it's not like this is an unknown issue. (I know Sean from another major issue I had with this bike) I will refer to all the others on MV that has had blow-back issues. I think I've had the bike in the shop more than out riding it.

My next bike is a 2013 BMW C650GT twin cylinder. I found out they are selling like hot cakes over in Europe so they decided to make it a 2013 model for import here. We will start seeing them in Sept-Oct. I've got a cash deposit on one right now fully loaded in red. I'll just have to nurse the MP3 along till Sept. I will never buy another Piaggio again. Not even that Aprilia 850 SVT. I tought about it but...It all owned by Piaggio jackasses.
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
mharrismel wrote:
When I purchased the bike I rode it the way I was instructed to, no exceeding a certain rpm, which I now can't remember.

Yes, Sean did fix the problem for free the first time, but to have this same major issue 6k miles later is to more of an issue of it being out of warranty but but due to the previous work done, which must have been done poorly if even correct if it's happening again already.

Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

And I performed all of my services on time by the dealer, and I don't know what filters were used, as the dealer performed all scheduled maintenance.

On another note, I heard this shop's relationship with Sean is not all that great, as they had to fix a bike Sean had worked on prior and the repairs were due to the poor previous work by Sean. Hmmm

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
I'm with you there brother! I often wonder the same thing. Seams some here (It's obvious who they are) seem too quick to side with the manufacturer and give you the 3rd degree. I don't come here much anymore because of this and my time is nearing an end with with this company once I sell the bike.

You ever noticed that the new Maxi Scooters are all going twin cylinder setups? With final drive chains? TMax, Bergman, Aprilia, BMW, The new Honda 700 Integra. Piaggio is going to be stuck with the dino's if they don't start seeing the future. You won't be having these kinds of problems with those manufacturers.

Yea-yea, there are those who will pipe right up and says all cycles have problems. REALLY! Not the kind that causes your bike to stop in traffic or can't get started in the morning from too much blow-back from the oil in the air intake. I just cleaned my plugs this morning, fouled from too much oil. I carry my jumper cables to work and keep my road service active because of my 500.

My 1982 Honda 750 Nighthawk is more reliable than my 2009 MP3. Starts every time with not a speck of oil on the ground and it's got 67,000 on it. I just had a 1995 BMW R1100R as a loaner with 76,000 as they where fixing the MP3, not a speck of oil, started every time. I have to carry cardboard squares in my trunk to put down at my stops with the MP3. There is just a too much dripping. You can say other bikes have their problems, but I haven't seen many like this one.

You know I'll bet my Honda has the same neck bearings from the factory. My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000. All for the lack of grease. That normal for other bikes?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43712
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43712
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000.
First one? I had three changed by then. Duff info in the workshop manual, duff parts.
Quote:
All for the lack of grease.
Not true. There's bugger-all grease in there, but so what - the problem right from the start was the steering bearings being torqued down too hard at manufacture, and the manual subsequent mechs followed being wrong - and I also think the new instructions for the replacement are wrong too.

My last set has lasted the longest by far - done (with some protest but at my insistence) to *my* spec. Posts passim, search for 'notch' in subject, poster 'jimc'.
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
Hi Jim, the mechanic didn't clean them up just dropped them in the zipper-lock bag for me because I marked I wanted to see the parts. There was no grease on them. You would think they would be black with caked grease. They are worn, notched and dirty but no grease to speak of, maybe a greasy film. Since I had read about this here. I bought the bearings and pried off the dust covers and packed them myself. Brought them to the mechanic with the bike.

Too much torque you say? Humm, still Piaggios fault. A lot of mechanics do that here with bolts, Torqued them down too tight because they are afraid of law suits. Torque a bearing too tight and you'll grind it up. Like you, I tend to go a little on the looser end. Get a lot more wear outta them.

Hey, not to change the subject but are you coming to the 3 Peaks challenge this year? It was a pleasure meeting you last time.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
mharrismel wrote:
When I purchased the bike I rode it the way I was instructed to, no exceeding a certain rpm, which I now can't remember.

Yes, Sean did fix the problem for free the first time, but to have this same major issue 6k miles later is to more of an issue of it being out of warranty but but due to the previous work done, which must have been done poorly if even correct if it's happening again already.

Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

And I performed all of my services on time by the dealer, and I don't know what filters were used, as the dealer performed all scheduled maintenance.

On another note, I heard this shop's relationship with Sean is not all that great, as they had to fix a bike Sean had worked on prior and the repairs were due to the poor previous work by Sean. Hmmm

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
I'm with you there brother! I often wonder the same thing. Seams some here (It's obvious who they are) seem too quick to side with the manufacturer and give you the 3rd degree. I don't come here much anymore because of this and my time is nearing an end with with this company once I sell the bike.

You ever noticed that the new Maxi Scooters are all going twin cylinder setups? With final drive chains? TMax, Bergman, Aprilia, BMW, The new Honda 700 Integra. Piaggio is going to be stuck with the dino's if they don't start seeing the future. You won't be having these kinds of problems with those manufacturers.

Yea-yea, there are those who will pipe right up and says all cycles have problems. REALLY! Not the kind that causes your bike to stop in traffic or can't get started in the morning from too much blow-back from the oil in the air intake. I just cleaned my plugs this morning, fouled from too much oil. I carry my jumper cables to work and keep my road service active because of my 500.

My 1982 Honda 750 Nighthawk is more reliable than my 2009 MP3. Starts every time with not a speck of oil on the ground and it's got 67,000 on it. I just had a 1995 BMW R1100R as a loaner with 76,000 as they where fixing the MP3, not a speck of oil, started every time. I have to carry cardboard squares in my trunk to put down at my stops with the MP3. There is just a too much dripping. You can say other bikes have their problems, but I haven't seen many like this one.

You know I'll bet my Honda has the same neck bearings from the factory. My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000. All for the lack of grease. That normal for other bikes?
guess you need to trade yours in then on a tmax or honda or burgman then. you'll be much happier over there.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7575
Location: Winchester, California
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7575
Location: Winchester, California
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
500razorback wrote:
My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000.
First one? I had three changed by then. Duff info in the workshop manual, duff parts.
Quote:
All for the lack of grease.
Not true. There's bugger-all grease in there, but so what - the problem right from the start was the steering bearings being torqued down too hard at manufacture, and the manual subsequent mechs followed being wrong - and I also think the new instructions for the replacement are wrong too.

My last set has lasted the longest by far - done (with some protest but at my insistence) to *my* spec. Posts passim, search for 'notch' in subject, poster 'jimc'.
Too much torque, on too small a bearing for the weight involved.

Piss poor execution on Piaggio's part.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43712
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43712
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
Hey, not to change the subject but are you coming to the 3 Peaks challenge this year? It was a pleasure meeting you last time.
If it's at its usual time of year, then no, as we'll be riding from London to Italy for the Bella Italia rally:
http://www.scootitaly.com/
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
500razorback wrote:
mharrismel wrote:
When I purchased the bike I rode it the way I was instructed to, no exceeding a certain rpm, which I now can't remember.

Yes, Sean did fix the problem for free the first time, but to have this same major issue 6k miles later is to more of an issue of it being out of warranty but but due to the previous work done, which must have been done poorly if even correct if it's happening again already.

Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

And I performed all of my services on time by the dealer, and I don't know what filters were used, as the dealer performed all scheduled maintenance.

On another note, I heard this shop's relationship with Sean is not all that great, as they had to fix a bike Sean had worked on prior and the repairs were due to the poor previous work by Sean. Hmmm

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
I'm with you there brother! I often wonder the same thing. Seams some here (It's obvious who they are) seem too quick to side with the manufacturer and give you the 3rd degree. I don't come here much anymore because of this and my time is nearing an end with with this company once I sell the bike.

You ever noticed that the new Maxi Scooters are all going twin cylinder setups? With final drive chains? TMax, Bergman, Aprilia, BMW, The new Honda 700 Integra. Piaggio is going to be stuck with the dino's if they don't start seeing the future. You won't be having these kinds of problems with those manufacturers.

Yea-yea, there are those who will pipe right up and says all cycles have problems. REALLY! Not the kind that causes your bike to stop in traffic or can't get started in the morning from too much blow-back from the oil in the air intake. I just cleaned my plugs this morning, fouled from too much oil. I carry my jumper cables to work and keep my road service active because of my 500.

My 1982 Honda 750 Nighthawk is more reliable than my 2009 MP3. Starts every time with not a speck of oil on the ground and it's got 67,000 on it. I just had a 1995 BMW R1100R as a loaner with 76,000 as they where fixing the MP3, not a speck of oil, started every time. I have to carry cardboard squares in my trunk to put down at my stops with the MP3. There is just a too much dripping. You can say other bikes have their problems, but I haven't seen many like this one.

You know I'll bet my Honda has the same neck bearings from the factory. My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000. All for the lack of grease. That normal for other bikes?
guess you need to trade yours in then on a tmax or honda or burgman then. you'll be much happier over there.
I thought I announced that I already put a deposit down on a 2013 BMW, did I not? The MP3 is going up for sale about August. I'll just ride the 750 till I get the Beemer. Anybody wanna buy it? JimC saw it when he was over here. Tons of mods and add-ons. Fully pimped out.

Coocase LED Trunk, Madstadd Windshield, Knuckle shields for the cold and rain, Malossi Variator w/Dr Pully sliders, LED side and light bar in the rear, 3 over sized tires front and rear - Diablo's, Lighter plug for GPS, Reflective pin stripping for safety. I installed a small solar panel to top off battery in cold weather. Truegel battery installed. Never goes dead. Newish neck bearings put on 4000 miles ago. 35000 miles. Does leak from that engine blow-back issue. Ponydrvr's air box mod. If not I'll put it on Craigslist.
⚠️ Last edited by 500razorback on UTC; edited 1 time
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
gogogordy wrote:
jimc wrote:
500razorback wrote:
My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000.
First one? I had three changed by then. Duff info in the workshop manual, duff parts.
Quote:
All for the lack of grease.
Not true. There's bugger-all grease in there, but so what - the problem right from the start was the steering bearings being torqued down too hard at manufacture, and the manual subsequent mechs followed being wrong - and I also think the new instructions for the replacement are wrong too.

My last set has lasted the longest by far - done (with some protest but at my insistence) to *my* spec. Posts passim, search for 'notch' in subject, poster 'jimc'.
Too much torque, on too small a bearing for the weight involved.

Piss poor execution on Piaggio's part.
AGREED...another over site that cost me an extra $1000. What The? emoticon
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
500razorback wrote:
mharrismel wrote:
When I purchased the bike I rode it the way I was instructed to, no exceeding a certain rpm, which I now can't remember.

Yes, Sean did fix the problem for free the first time, but to have this same major issue 6k miles later is to more of an issue of it being out of warranty but but due to the previous work done, which must have been done poorly if even correct if it's happening again already.

Even if it is out of warranty, to have a $9k vehicle fail at just under 12k miles is ridiculous.

And I performed all of my services on time by the dealer, and I don't know what filters were used, as the dealer performed all scheduled maintenance.

On another note, I heard this shop's relationship with Sean is not all that great, as they had to fix a bike Sean had worked on prior and the repairs were due to the poor previous work by Sean. Hmmm

It's amazing how some of you are so quick to agree with Sean, makes me wonder if he had pseudonyms on this site.
I'm with you there brother! I often wonder the same thing. Seams some here (It's obvious who they are) seem too quick to side with the manufacturer and give you the 3rd degree. I don't come here much anymore because of this and my time is nearing an end with with this company once I sell the bike.

You ever noticed that the new Maxi Scooters are all going twin cylinder setups? With final drive chains? TMax, Bergman, Aprilia, BMW, The new Honda 700 Integra. Piaggio is going to be stuck with the dino's if they don't start seeing the future. You won't be having these kinds of problems with those manufacturers.

Yea-yea, there are those who will pipe right up and says all cycles have problems. REALLY! Not the kind that causes your bike to stop in traffic or can't get started in the morning from too much blow-back from the oil in the air intake. I just cleaned my plugs this morning, fouled from too much oil. I carry my jumper cables to work and keep my road service active because of my 500.

My 1982 Honda 750 Nighthawk is more reliable than my 2009 MP3. Starts every time with not a speck of oil on the ground and it's got 67,000 on it. I just had a 1995 BMW R1100R as a loaner with 76,000 as they where fixing the MP3, not a speck of oil, started every time. I have to carry cardboard squares in my trunk to put down at my stops with the MP3. There is just a too much dripping. You can say other bikes have their problems, but I haven't seen many like this one.

You know I'll bet my Honda has the same neck bearings from the factory. My MP3 had a $1000 neck bearing X2 changed at 23,000. All for the lack of grease. That normal for other bikes?
guess you need to trade yours in then on a tmax or honda or burgman then. you'll be much happier over there.
I thought I announced that I already put a deposit down on a 2013 BMW, did I not? The MP3 is going up for sale about August. I'll just ride the 750 till I get the Beemer. Anybody wanna buy it? JimC saw it when he was over here. Tons of mods and add-ons. Fully pimped out.

Coocase LED Trunk, Madstadd Windshield, Knuckle shields for the cold and rain, Malossi Variator w/Dr Pully sliders, LED side and light bar in the rear, 3 over sized tires front and rear - Diablo's, Lighter plug for GPS, Reflective pin stripping for safety. I installed a small solar panel to top off battery in cold weather. Truegel battery installed. Never goes dead. Newish neck bearings put on 4000 miles ago. 35000 miles. Does leak from that engine blow-back issue. Ponydrvr's air box mod. If not I'll put it on Craigslist.
whats the asking $
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
I just don't know yet. I want to hammer on Piaggio for this and get a deal like mharrismel got. Even that wasn't the best out come...Or just say "F" it and discount for the problem and let the new owner take care of it. It's still early yet. The BMW isn't coming till Sept-Oct. earliest. Plus I've got $1500 in extras and mods on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the 3 wheel design on this bike. It's just time to move on.What would you suggest?
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
I just don't know yet. I want to hammer on Piaggio for this and get a deal like mharrismel got. Even that wasn't the best out come...Or just say "F" it and discount for the problem and let the new owner take care of it. It's still early yet. The BMW isn't coming till Sept-Oct. earliest. Plus I've got $1500 in extras and mods on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the 3 wheel design on this bike. It's just time to move on.What would you suggest?
cut you loses and frustration and move on.
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
500razorback wrote:
I just don't know yet. I want to hammer on Piaggio for this and get a deal like mharrismel got. Even that wasn't the best out come...Or just say "F" it and discount for the problem and let the new owner take care of it. It's still early yet. The BMW isn't coming till Sept-Oct. earliest. Plus I've got $1500 in extras and mods on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the 3 wheel design on this bike. It's just time to move on.What would you suggest?
cut you loses and frustration and move on.
What ever I do...I'm gonna sink more money into it. Unless I sell it as is. KBB.com trade-in value is $4345. Retail $6305. I thinking I'll price it about $5500 for a 3 year old bike. That's about 50% of what I bought it for. I really thought this unique vehicle would have retained more value than that. KBB must have read some of the articles here...
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2649
Location: Roseburg, OR
 
Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2649
Location: Roseburg, OR
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
KBB.com trade-in value is $4345. I thinking about $5500 for a 3 year old bike. That's about 50% of what I bought it for. I really thought this unique vehicle would have retained more value than that. KBB must have read some of the articles here...
Or maybe the economy is in the crapper.

Yesterday I visited my cousin. The house next to her is going to be sold at auction 4-13-12. A few years ago it was bought for $200,000; now the bank is trying to get $55,000 and the locals think it will probably go for $35,000 - $40,000.
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
That's a banking issue...this is a PR issue. The worst your reputation, the lower your model line depreciates.
@mjm50cal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2626
Location: Northern CA
 
Ossessionato
@mjm50cal avatar
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2626
Location: Northern CA
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
That's a banking issue...this is a PR issue. The worst your reputation, the lower your model line depreciates.
I don't think it has a bad reputation, just some unique issues and unrealistic expectations of some owners.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
500razorback wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
500razorback wrote:
I just don't know yet. I want to hammer on Piaggio for this and get a deal like mharrismel got. Even that wasn't the best out come...Or just say "F" it and discount for the problem and let the new owner take care of it. It's still early yet. The BMW isn't coming till Sept-Oct. earliest. Plus I've got $1500 in extras and mods on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the 3 wheel design on this bike. It's just time to move on.What would you suggest?
cut you loses and frustration and move on.
What ever I do...I'm gonna sink more money into it. Unless I sell it as is. KBB.com trade-in value is $4345. Retail $6305. I thinking I'll price it about $5500 for a 3 year old bike. That's about 50% of what I bought it for. I really thought this unique vehicle would have retained more value than that. KBB must have read some of the articles here...
those values are based on mileage less than 6000 though. Also consider excellent condition which you clearly state that its not mechanically.
Based on your mileage and condition your asking way too much IMO. Just cause you added $1500 in extra stuff doesn't mean its worth $1500 more either.
OP
@mharrismel avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
 
Hooked
@mharrismel avatar
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: UTC
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
UTC quote
I don't believe it's unrealistic to expect your $9k bike, warranty or not, to last (at least in my case), over 12k miles. (Maybe over 13k miles would be unrealistic, but 12k . . . naw, Laughing emoticon) There's nothing unrealistic about that. That's a minimum expectation/standard. And it seems this oil blow-back issue is a major default of this bike.

. . . . but I've moved on. Will be purchasing a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 or Honda St1300. I'm so much in to the sports touring bikes and I've been looking at these for a few months now--even visited some of their forums in search of their honest, raw customer/ rider issues. I wish I had done that with this bike first.

Mel
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22483
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
UTC quote
mharrismel wrote:
I don't believe it's unrealistic to expect your $9k bike, warranty or not, to last (at least in my case), over 12k miles. (Maybe over 13k miles would be unrealistic, but 12k . . . naw, Laughing emoticon) There's nothing unrealistic about that. That's a minimum expectation/standard. And it seems this oil blow-back issue is a major default of this bike.

. . . . but I've moved on. Will be purchasing a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 or Honda St1300. I'm so much in to the sports touring bikes and I've been looking at these for a few months now--even visited some of their forums in search of their honest, raw customer/ rider issues. I wish I had done that with this bike first.

Mel
glad to see your moving on.
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
mharrismel wrote:
I don't believe it's unrealistic to expect your $9k bike, warranty or not, to last (at least in my case), over 12k miles. (Maybe over 13k miles would be unrealistic, but 12k . . . naw, Laughing emoticon) There's nothing unrealistic about that. That's a minimum expectation/standard. And it seems this oil blow-back issue is a major default of this bike.

. . . . but I've moved on. Will be purchasing a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 or Honda St1300. I'm so much in to the sports touring bikes and I've been looking at these for a few months now--even visited some of their forums in search of their honest, raw customer/ rider issues. I wish I had done that with this bike first.

Mel
Congrats there mharrismel! Now your swinging with the big boys. Enjoy! Been there, done that. 1300cc's is too much engine and curb weight for me anymore. At gas moving up to $5 a gallon, that 1400cc will be feeling more like an SUV does. I've found 750-650cc's is good enough to do over 100 mph and light enough to throw around mtn roads. Decent gas mileage too. I'm 190, so that horsepower is perfect for me.
@500razorback avatar
UTC

Banned
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
 
Banned
@500razorback avatar
09 Piaggio MP3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 250
Location: California, USA
UTC quote
I've been looking at these for a few months now--even visited some of their forums in search of their honest, raw customer/ rider issues. I wish I had done that with this bike first.

Mel[/quote]

I agree with you on this. I should have checked too. When I first lurked this site 3 years ago, It was just a MP3 love-fest back then. Until things started going south. Now it's starting to sound more real. I think these guys are great trying to tackle all the problems that have surfaced since it hit these shores. I do like to ride it, it's comfortable and shields me from the elements. The front end tech is outstanding! I ride in the rain now. But...

The 2 major issues are:

1. engine blow-back of oil. I feel is a design flaw. That was a Beverly engine they mounted in the Piaggio MP3 500 frame. Look at the weight variance. All other manufacturers that have made scooters over 500cc's have built twin-cylinders for them. The bikes too big for a one-lung thumper. With the speeds these can reach pushing that kind of weight, it's just too much. 10+ pages on that thread about this and everybody's still guessing.

2. Piaggio's electronics. These encompasses a range of issues. Bikes failing, Tilt control alarms screaming, Things work then they won't. Felt like I was tap dancing on a land mine putting my mods in. Gave up wiring into the system and used one simple rule - Run everything directly to the battery with fuses and use a small solar panel to trickle charge it while parked.

Maybe if they decide to re-design the models instead of making a MP3 300cc from a 250, they'll give it some deeper thought.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.1672s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0980s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]