@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
well, 100 miles turned into 600 on the VFR1200...Ive got some very strong feelings about the experience and also very strong feelings about how it felt going back to the MP3 (in short: I still am enamoured with the MP3 500 but I miss the horsepower, "planted" feeling of the VFR - no question I feel much smoother, much more confident at freeway speeds on thw VFR, and the almost instant responsiveness of everything on the VFR. compared with more relaxed sitting position of the MP3, more relaxed pace of everything...the VFR is always more of an "event" and the MP3 more "get on and go")

something that came up in the course of the last week in the context of the VFR though that makes me wonder about the MP3: alternator or stator? Does the MP3 actually recharge when running or just maintains?

I was told most MC (Goldwing and like are exceptions) dont have alternators and hence dont recharge / top up. (surprise!)

thanks for insights.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
really don't know your meaning "recharge" recharge what?
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Silver Wing

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
If they are just maintaining and not charging the battery wouldn't you quickly get a dead battery from every start draining the battery a little? The only times I've had to charge the battery on my '08 are if it has sat for a while which means it has gone roughly a year between charges.
UTC

Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT

Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
UTC quote
Here's a technical article on how a motorcycle's charging system works.
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/technical-articles/how-motorcycle-charging-system-works
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
The stator system on the 500 can produce more than 12A DC over and above what is needed for maintaining the battery at full charge - and the stator *is* an alternator, albeit with field magnets instead of rotating coils and slip-rings. Averages 60V RMS AC into the rectifier/regulator I believe.
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 2009

Hooked
MP3 250 2009
UTC quote
Great Article my Kwaki ZX-6r bike just had a recall
gsheff wrote:
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/technical-articles/how-motorcycle-charging-system-works
i was trying to understand the rectfyier / mech stated voltage regulator not being in the alternator and this article makes things more clear thanks for the good one.
OP
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
How long did it sit before it went bad?
BTW - Skip Barber offering specials for early registration. Check out their website. If you decide to go, let me know, I might join you if I'm around.
heinlein wrote:
If they are just maintaining and not charging the battery wouldn't you quickly get a dead battery from every start draining the battery a little? The only times I've had to charge the battery on my '08 are if it has sat for a while which means it has gone roughly a year between charges.
OP
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
thanks, great article.
gsheff wrote:
OP
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
ok exactly the answer I was looking for. thanks.
jimc wrote:
The stator system on the 500 can produce more than 12A DC over and above what is needed for maintaining the battery at full charge - and the stator *is* an alternator, albeit with field magnets instead of rotating coils and slip-rings. Averages 60V RMS AC into the rectifier/regulator I believe.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
Re: How long did it sit before it went bad?
WanderingPurist wrote:
BTW - Skip Barber offering specials for early registration. Check out their website. If you decide to go, let me know, I might join you if I'm around.

Thanks for that. I'm currently thinking about buying a Mexican beach house and must put off unnecessary expenses.
OP
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
unnecessary expenses...lol! I sure understand that!
but hey, life is a journey and we gotta weigh long term goals with short term pleasure...

how long did your MP3 sit before the battery deteriorated to the point you needed to replace it?
heinlein wrote:
WanderingPurist wrote:

Thanks for that. I'm currently thinking about buying a Mexican beach house and must put off unnecessary expenses.
@heinlein avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@heinlein avatar
UTC quote
WanderingPurist wrote:
How long did your MP3 sit before the battery deteriorated to the point you needed to replace it?

I haven't replaced it yet. I'm not sure how long it sat without running; before I had to put a battery charger on it. I probably should replace it soon; but as I said trying to cut back on expenses.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0783s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0373s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]