OP
UTC

Lurker
64 vnb

Lurker
64 vnb
UTC quote
Hello all, new scooter owner and new user. Have only had scooter for a few weeeks and just ran into 1str issue so thought id look here.

While out for a ride te scooter started to hesitate after a stop, felt like it was running out of gas. When i glugged it home i noticed it was leaking gas from under the frame. It would stop if i shut the petcock off. Any suggestions to start my first project?
Thanks ahead for any help and suggestions
Mike
@vader19 avatar
UTC

Mr. Clean
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special

Mr. Clean
@vader19 avatar
P,SUPER,V90, 50 Special
UTC quote
If it stops when you shut the petcock, then look at your fule line to carb connection. Bottom of carb / through airbox...
@jamesjohn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1970 Vespa Rally 180

Ossessionato
@jamesjohn avatar
1970 Vespa Rally 180
UTC quote
pull the tank and have a look see.
@phaetn avatar
UTC

Addicted
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore

Addicted
@phaetn avatar
UTC quote
Definitely pull the tank and check. Even if it seems to stop when you turn the petcock it may be just that it is reducing flow but it may still drip and accumulate slowly, only to flood out when turned on again.

Perform a search on this forum or elsewhere to see what the tension should be like for the gasket on the fuel tap.
OP
UTC

Lurker
64 vnb

Lurker
64 vnb
UTC quote
days later
So still have not had time to pull the tank until this coming weekend. But wanted to look and find the leak source last night. With the cowl off and airbox open i kicked over the bike. It ran for 20 minutes with no leaking. Seems weird to me but iM still trying to figure this all out!
@phaetn avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@phaetn avatar
UTC quote
Sometimes weird things can happen with the fuel line when weight is on the scoot (e.g. a rider) versus not. The suspension compresses, angles change...

I've certainly heard of a fuel cut-out in such a situation, where it ran perfectly when on the stand but would die 30 or so seconds after riding (because of a kink or pressure on the hose). I suppose something similar is conceivable with a fuel leak.

Pulling the tank will let you see if it drips at the tap or elsewhere.

Good luck!
@rodri9o avatar
UTC

Addicted
PX 200 E 'Iris' edition

Addicted
@rodri9o avatar
PX 200 E 'Iris' edition
UTC quote
For what it is worth, I had my fuel tank out on Monday and I found that the fuel line was simply slipped onto the out-going tube of the fuel supply valve at the bottom/exterior of the tank.

When I re-installed the tank, I placed a small hose clamp on the hose to secure it from possibly slipping off...just for piece of mind.

I think you should pull the tank, like others said, and inspect the line to make sure it is not scuffed and cut somewhere. Also, it may be worth looking at the seal of the flow valve at the bottom of the tank. You will need a special tool to remove the valve if that rubber gasket needs to be replaced.

On the carb, where the fuel like comes in and attached to the carb, there is a round metallic disc with a screw on top. Make sure that screw is tight. WIth the fuel valve open and that cap not tightened down, fuel will trickle out of there and drip out of the carb box.

Also check the 2 screws on the portion of the valve that turns to open/close the fuel supply.

Is there any corrosion in your tank?

I have a PX200E and these are the items I would check. Not sure of your carb would be similar.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0330s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0194s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]