@kamaseya avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'58 Vespa 150, '63 Allstate 125/177, 1980 Vespa P200E

Enthusiast
@kamaseya avatar
UTC quote
I'm a NB posting on this sight but i'v been checking in for quite some time.
I'm picking up a "63 Allstate (VNB) next week. What I want to do is overhaul the engine and put a 177cc kit and racing pipe on it. Any of you out there have this set up? What should the top end MPH be? Close to 60MPH? Just so you know I'm keeping the 8" tires and patina. No need to get all fancy like. I'm keeping this one simple. Anything else I should add to the engine or scoot?
My '58 VB1 is the hooked up one, an LML engine, 10" tires and racing pipe. It tops out at about 70MPH. I'v had that scoot since '02. So don't hate on me! Thats what Sturgis is for. When I roll down Main st. on the Allstate and watch them hate on me. Should be fun!
@jsharpphoto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Vespa Sprint Veloce, 1963 VBB 180 Custom

Molto Verboso
@jsharpphoto avatar
1974 Vespa Sprint Veloce, 1963 VBB 180 Custom
UTC quote
you may have some trouble building a "race" motor out of VNB cases. For one thing, it's a 2 port motor, so unless you're going to cut a third transfer port, you're pretty limited on which kits you can install. Another problem will be it's a 3-speed. The 8 inch wheels are also a problem, since they're effectively a gear. They are also keeping the bottom of the scooter too close to the ground to run a real pipe. Also, the front fork on an allstate doesn't have a dampener, just the spring. Meaning it will handle poorly at high speeds.

There are things you can do to fight these obstacles. Put a spacer on top of your rear shock to raise the ass up, to allow a real expansion chamber pipe. You can also do a fork-swap to a VBB fork, which is the same, but with a dampener+spring. You can also change to a 4 speed transmission, but that's another modification.

There's a guy in dallas with an allstate, with a simonini pipe. His top speed is 55 and it sounds like it's going to explode all the time. He also scrapes his pipe making right hand turns.

I'm not saying all of this isn't doable, but it's going to get expensive very fast. And it will never be as fast as a sprint veloce or a stella.
OP
@kamaseya avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@kamaseya avatar
UTC quote
Ya not a real racer, thats what a primavera is for, just for fun.
I know much of what you said. But I liked your spacer idea for the rear shock. Thats the input i'm looking for. I'll have to look into the exhaust issue. Maybe something on the funky side.
Low and mean, ya i like that. Time to drool over that idea. Doesn't have to be expensive, need to be creative.
See what talent I can pull out of my scooter friends, Thanks.
@koenig_blues avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@koenig_blues avatar
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86, a not so normal pts100 '82 and a yellow sunshine '74 sprint
UTC quote
i like the idea, and even with 2 port u still can go faster then a veloce if u put a latest gear set of a p series, and change ur clutch teeth to 23 and 65 primary gear along with the rest of the gear set so u will have 4th gear instead of 3rd and upgrade the carb to 20-20 even better if u can put 4m piston in ur 2 port barrel and change the cylinder head with a latest px that have full square and grind it with sandpaper a bit so u will have a nicer compresion Razz emoticon

i dont have fancy parts in my engine so i am improvite with parts swap to cut cost but if my method is too extreme leave it then

ps: the bigger problems will be the rear 8" tyre, it will gonna have more torque then the top speed itself

good luck with the bike and cheer mate
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]