OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Well I been driving to work for one month now and my SUV+gas price+ Traffic on the 105 and a 1.5 hour drive home from LAX has turned me into a rider this week 80 bucks a week for gas Vs 20 on Scooter. I plan to ride all day shifts for now on. and some nights

So whats going to make you ride?

This gets me a car pool lane and lane filtering
@sunburst avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa LX 150, Moto Guzzi V7II Racer

Hooked
@sunburst avatar
UTC quote
You work at LAX...where you commuting from?
UTC

Hooked
2005 GT 200

Hooked
2005 GT 200
UTC quote
I wish I could use my scooter for work. I have to carry way too many tools.

AZCRAIG
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
Sunburst wrote:
La Mirada
@sunburst avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sunburst avatar
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
Sunburst wrote:
La Mirada
I work at TBIT (Tom Bradley) but thankfully live fairly close by in Redondo Beach. After one month of parking in Lot E and having to ride the shuttle bus in I said enough of that and bought an LX 150. Saves a lot of time and love the free parking right across the street from the terminal. I like to pass the employee bus and wave to my coworkers as I go by after the shift ends. Razz emoticon
@rwong709 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GT200

Addicted
@rwong709 avatar
2007 Vespa GT200
UTC quote
What made you a scooter commuter?
Actually it was my gal who turned me on to scooters. Been riding sportbikes since the mid 70's, started riding/commuting in 1992 when I picked up a Katana sportbike off and on, but in 2008 a Harley Sportster made me a regular biker/commuter...then my gal found the Vespa GT200...while doing routine maintenance and tuning it, found flogging the "Material Girl" after many "test rides" learned to really like it a lot! 8)

A year later my gal picked up a Baron 150LT for a "great deal", so after swapping the engine, reconstructing the bodywork and redoing the electricals, she now regularly uses the "Robber" Baron because she does not do highway riding and likes the light, easy handling for local trips and garage sales. Vespa is now my daily commuter...the Harley for weekend fun or serious distant sorties solo and two-up... Razz emoticon
@vespizzare avatar
UTC

Addicted
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt

Addicted
@vespizzare avatar
Customized 2006 LX150 Thunderbolt the Wondercolt
UTC quote
I don't care what it costs. I would take the car if it's raining (which it hasn't been doing too much of lately). I just think a bike is too dangerous in the rain, not to mention the other drivers. Ride safe.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Re: New Job, High Gas Prices ='s riding to work now
175mws wrote:
Pretty much the fact that I really, really, really suck at driving a car. Oh, and I don't even own one, so that kind of contributes, too.
@misu avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 GTS 250ie Excalibur

Hooked
@misu avatar
2006 GTS 250ie Excalibur
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
Well I been driving to work for one month now and my SUV+gas price+ Traffic on the 105 and a 1.5 hour drive home from LAX has turned me into a rider this week 80 bucks a week for gas Vs 20 on Scooter. I plan to ride all day shifts for now on. and some nights

yup, gas is getting up there again.... i have an approx 30miles round trip commute. so it's almost $9/day by car (minivan) or $2 by vespa. before i used to ride my bike a few times a week for exercise and save a bit of pocket $... but now with kids, time is key. lane splitting cuts 45min off my commute.

but yeah, i drive when it rains but try to batch errands on the days I drive too.

love the free parking at lax when traveling!
@scootergirl72 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS Touring

Hooked
@scootergirl72 avatar
'20 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Azcraig wrote:

AZCRAIG
sidecar Laughing emoticon
@fatmanscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
Il Porco (GTS125ie)

Addicted
@fatmanscoot avatar
Il Porco (GTS125ie)
UTC quote
175mws wrote:

Not having any choice in the matter whatsoever.

In all seriousness, I love my little bike, but if I could afford to have a car, I would.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
Vespanomics. lol

@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I don't work anymore but i got rid of my car over a year ago and don't regret it for a minute. I travel a lot and it was just sitting there rusting. Plus the registrations are getting out of hand. almost $500 a year for the car i had. I use the scooter or everything. I get free parking and use of the HOV lanes. If i need a car i just borrow a friends.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
I had to drive from home to Sonoma yesterday to check on the installation of a sidecar on one of my GT200s. This is a trip of eighty miles each way, but there is no other route than about 90% freeway. As a result, I decided to use my Ford Explorer rather than my scoot due to the heavy traffic.
I filled up the tank starting and it took $75.00 worth of regular in the cheapest station in town, and the tank wasn't even empty. In my wildly misspent youth, I couldn't pack that much fuel cost in a heavy duty truck. Thank god for the 70 MPG on the Vespa GT200.
@tommylittlescooter avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus

Molto Verboso
@tommylittlescooter avatar
BV200, P200E (2),V90 and now a Big Ruckus
UTC quote
I fly to work and rent a car, but if I had a local normal type of job I would scoot. I don't care if gas is free or $10.00 a gallon, I would scoot to work but it's nice to have my truck for hauling/towing my boat or when the weather is fowl. I do it for fun, the gas mileage benefits are secondary but nice when I'm not working. In short I would consider myself to be a scooterist rather then a person who happens to ride a scooter.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I only live 6 miles away from work, so gas isn't an issue. I still ride the Vespa or my Honda 50cc about 80% of the time, unless there are heavy thunderstorms in the late evening.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
I already ride. 13 years of commuting to work all year round. Haven't missed paying for maintenance and insurance on a 4 wheeler one little bit.

-Craig
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
I put more miles on my scoots than on my car last year. My husband is the opposite but then we use his car for our long non-scooter trips between houses were we have scooters.
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
The use of my scooter in the last two years has cut my gasoline expenses to about a third or less of what they were.
@quadro avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS300 Super

Banned
@quadro avatar
Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
I got car parked up and use my gts all the time even when raining. I love biking and scootering so it would take snow and ice to make me use car.
@quadro avatar
UTC

Banned
Vespa GTS300 Super

Banned
@quadro avatar
Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
And I doubt anyone has it much worse that us in the uk.

1.36 gbp / 2.13 usd a litre. And that's uk litre.

Bike cut's running costs by over half.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
quadro wrote:
And I doubt anyone has it much worse that us in the uk.

1.36 gbp / 2.13 usd a litre. And that's uk litre.

Bike cut's running costs by over half.
It's the US pint that's (and hence gallon - how did that happen, anyone know the history?) that's different. The litre (it's not liter FFS, anywhere for those who mistakenly spell it thus) is a standard measure of volume worldwide.

Unlike the fluid ounce which varies by quite some margins in those jurisdictions which still use it. Subtle difference in temperature and pressure measurements. It can add up, and can lead to multiple unit conversions meaning missions miss Mars.

Us Martians look on with awe...
UTC

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo

Molto Verboso
'05 Vespa Granturismo
UTC quote
Jjimc,
I'm confused about your UK measures. We used to figure that an imperial gallon was equal to five US quarts.
US measures are;
1 pint = i6 oz. = 1 lb. water
2 pints = 1 quart = 32 oz.
4 quarts = 1 gal. = 128 oz.
1 lt. =33.92 oz.
3.77 lt = 1 US Gal.

So, a US gallon is equal to 3 3/4 metric liters.

When we used to fuel airplanes from UK trucks the meters read in Imperial gallons so we had to do a little calculating to get the fuel load we wanted since we worked in us gallons or US pounds adverdupois. Believe me when I say we screwed up a lot of fuel loads. Fuel was usually figured at 6 pounds per US gallon so an Imperial gallon was 7 1/2 pounds per gallon. This was, of course, in the days before everyone had these dandy little pocket calculators and we either used a pencil and pad or a slide rule.
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
riding 3 Nights now and I love it.... I have a BT headset and hear music and pay the time. I also learned that my GTS will top out at 80MPH top speed on GPS. 1st night I used my summer gear and now I use my winter gear. ..friday after work rush hour will be the payoff.

I'm getting 50 MPG WOT
rev limiter hits at 78MPH
top speed 80.3mph

all on the 105 freeway
@brown_beret7 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@brown_beret7 avatar
1975 Vespa GTR 125, 1976 Vespa V90 (Resto), 2001 Vespa ET4 125 (Sold), 2009 Vespa GTS300 Super
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
I was riding my GTS a few days a week last year when my company had two sites both about 20 miles from my home. I was pretty lucky with that, until they let me go into my third redundancy, 10 months after my second

If I can get another job that's a reasonable distance, then I'll commute again by scoot and probably more often when I get a GTS300. But the way the UK job market is, I'm going to have to travel wherever I need to go, and there's a fair chance that'll be by car, train or both. The fuel price is just what I'll have to pay as I only have so much control right now. If I could cycle to work I probably would, and the next car's probably going to be a hybrid!

I've read and watched a lot of the material on peak oil, energy security etc this last two years, so I'd add a 4th to life certainties - birth, death, taxes and rising fuel prices. My polite advice - get used to it, because its not going to change. Once you've accepted that, the next question is what our OP said - what will be your personal tipping point that makes you change your approach to fuel/gas use...

Without getting all preachy, I recommend the Crude Awakening movie and others to anyone. Watch the trailers online, or stream the full movies for free..
http://goodwithfilm.com/films/a-crude-awakening/
http://goodwithfilm.com/films/dirty-oil/
http://goodwithfilm.com/films/h2oil/
UTC

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy

Addicted
'09 Yamaha Zuma(sold), '06 Kymco People 250(sold), '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, '09 Buddy Italia, '06 Buddy
UTC quote
Since my car gets awful fuel economy (18-20mpg) I hate using it. It's been very loyal, it's just....done!

I figure with gas quickly rushing toward $4/gallon, and the weather perking up, I'll just stick with the scoot as much as possible.

Of course all the new riding gear made it cost @ the same as the car, but I'm still having more fun this way.
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
175mws wrote:
I already ride. 13 years of commuting to work all year round. Haven't missed paying for maintenance and insurance on a 4 wheeler one little bit.

-Craig
If I had your chop I'd ride ever day too
@rangeraj avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2011 300GTV

Molto Verboso
@rangeraj avatar
2011 300GTV
UTC quote
My car sits idle in the driveway since we got our scooter.
I only drive it on days the weather sucks.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
scootergirl72 wrote:
Azcraig wrote:

AZCRAIG
sidecar Laughing emoticon
Or small utility trailer pulled by scoot.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
Now that I've remarked on another post in this discussion I guess I ought to tell my story.

In 2007 I had to get a new vehicle. I shopped for cars that were gas sippers and either marveled at the prices or just wasn't thrilled. It came down to a Toyota Prius or a 2 wheeled motorized bike. I chose the latter and then began looking at motorcycles and scooters.

At that time my commute was under construction to widen the road. During my commute traffic was bumper to bumper and at times only moving a few feet before stopping again. At other times it would be 5 or 6 car lengths.

I couldn't see myself shifting in that kind of traffic so I opted for the big wheeled BV 250. Twist and go when in traffic and enough power to keep up with traffic on Interstates. I don't regret my choice. With helmet, riding gear, rain gear, and the Piaggio topcase it was $5,800.00 out the door.

Yesterday had terrible weather overnight, including a severe thunderstorm warning about 0345. It had stopped raining by the time I began my commute at 0530. Rain and thunder storms all day after I got to work and on my commute home. During the summer here it can get to triple digits.

With all that I don't regret for 1 minute the decision I made to go with the scooter. My wife uses the family car, Chrysler Town and Country and I get to use that if she is off work and my errands require something more than 2 wheeles. I also have to use a ladder for my paying job as an independent insurance adjuster, as opposed to my almost minimum wage job, and for that I rent a vehicle.(covered business expense)
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
It will be raining this weekend so that will stop me from the riding for 2 days but better safe then sorry.

I was hoping for more then 50 MPG that seems to be low for a GTS 250.
@sunburst avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sunburst avatar
UTC quote
I'm wondering about the rain in L.A. this weekend too, but as you know the local weather forecasters are wrong a lot. They are calling for heavy rain but we will see. I have ridden to work in the rain but not when it was of Biblical proportions.
OP
UTC

The Host with the Toast

The Host with the Toast
UTC quote
not worried about rain, just the other drivers on the road who forget how to drive.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
175mws wrote:
not worried about rain, just the other drivers on the road who forget how to drive.
It doesn't have to be raining to worry about them here.
@viscerok avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@viscerok avatar
2010 GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Once my gts is paid off, the savings will really start to add up. I commute on the scoot 24 miles round trip. There are more economical ways to get around. The Vespa is not the cheapest solution.
@doorbuster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio BV 250

Molto Verboso
@doorbuster avatar
2007 Piaggio BV 250
UTC quote
Viscerok wrote:
Once my gts is paid off, the savings will really start to add up. I commute on the scoot 24 miles round trip. There are more economical ways to get around. The Vespa is not the cheapest solution.
You're absolutely correct. I find the biggest expense is the maintenance. I let my dealer do it so that they can stay in business. I'm still wondering about my dealer staying in business. They're selling out to BMW. BMW is going to be moving into the Vespa/Piaggio showroom so things look okay for now. If BMW should decide to drop Vespa/Piaggio the next nearest dealer is in New Orleans, about 75 or 80 miles away. I'll have to start doing regular maintenance myself, which I don't mind, and save trips to the dealer for major things. As far as fuel prices go it's still just under $8.00 when I fill up with 83 octane, called Premium here. That normally lasts 1 1/2 to 3 weeks depending on how long my commute is and how much pleasure riding I do. My commute can be anywhere from 6 to 35 miles round trip. A bicycle would be less expensive but the heat and humidity in the summer would make the commute difficult.

Right now it appears we have the most economical and reliable transportation that money can buy.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0252s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0089s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]