@lionheart70 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
px 125

Enthusiast
@lionheart70 avatar
px 125
UTC quote
Should I stick with my trusty but tatty and slightly rusty GT200 and spend some money on respraying and tidying it up or trade and go for a GTS300???
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
I vote for cleaning up the GT. Classic great scooters. I suspect people will ell you to get a 300 but i like the 200's. Good luck
OP
@lionheart70 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
px 125

Enthusiast
@lionheart70 avatar
px 125
UTC quote
judy wrote:
I vote for cleaning up the GT. Classic great scooters. I suspect people will ell you to get a 300 but i like the 200's. Good luck
I must admit that I do love the GT and she runs like a dream but is looking very tired and battered.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
You'll get more selling privately than you will in a trade. Dealers prefer incoming trades to be as mint and as low miles as possible.
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler

World Traveler
@judy avatar
UTC quote
Does she run well? See what it would cost to get her painted and go from there. There are some people on here with high mileage GT'S. Good luck and it's a tough call.
@giles avatar
UTC

Hooked
Silver '06 GT200

Hooked
@giles avatar
Silver '06 GT200
UTC quote
My vote is fix up the GT200. They are the same basic bike as the GTS, with a simpler, more reliable, but equally fast powertrain. If you paint it you can have any color you want.

Don't take my word regarding the benefits of the GT, have a look here;

GT 200 "Appreciation Society"...
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
lionheart70 wrote:
I must admit that I do love the GT and she runs like a dream but is looking very tired and battered.
Sounds to me like you answered your own question, show your love in a nice clean-up and polish, maybe even a little new bling. I could trade in my GTS 250 for a 300 but I don't really see the benefit.
@monit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@monit avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
There's something romantic about a guy that turns up to the club on a scooter he bought new 20-30 years ago. It makes you feel like you're own will be with you through the good and the bad times. Breakdowns become future stories over a beer and rides become legendary, especially when you get hailed on and your tent gets blows away. You look at the miles on the speedo and realise that the more miles on the clock the more photos in the album. In a way it defines you and what people come to expect of you. You get to know it intimately and there isn't one nut or bolt you haven't tightened with your own hands. You substitute newness for predictability. You love it's idiosyncrasies, it's flaws and shortfalls as it takes on a more human role in your life. You appreciate one more cold night it got you home safe. When you go for a ride on a sunny Sunday it's just the two of you, not the latest techo wiz bang on the market being riden by another rider. Selling my first would be like selling part of my family, part of my past and part of my identity. When I go, he goes, until then we're joined at the grips. I will buy more but I will always keep my first. I love him. Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by Monit on UTC; edited 1 time
@charlesm avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)

Molto Verboso
@charlesm avatar
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)
UTC quote
Re: Stick or twist???
lionheart70 wrote:
Should I stick with my trusty but tatty and slightly rusty GT200 and spend some money on respraying and tidying it up or trade and go for a GTS300???
Pop in and see Dave at [url]www.thelondonscooterbodyshop.co.uk[/url] tell him you were sent by MV and see how the economics work out. You will probably be a lot better off financially sticking with the GT.

C
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
Great post Monit. Big thumbs coming your way. BTW I think you have the best loioking scooter that I have ever seen.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Follow Charles' advice - it'll cost a few hundred but all of that goes on the value, you get the paint-job you want, and you get to ride it for another year or two.
@monit avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@monit avatar
GTS 300
UTC quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
Great post Monit. Big thumbs coming your way. BTW I think you have the best loioking scooter that I have ever seen.
Thank you.
OP
@lionheart70 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
px 125

Enthusiast
@lionheart70 avatar
px 125
UTC quote
Re: Stick or twist???
charlesm wrote:
lionheart70 wrote:
Pop in and see Dave at [url]www.thelondonscooterbodyshop.co.uk[/url] tell him you were sent by MV and see how the economics work out. You will probably be a lot better off financially sticking with the GT.

C
I've made my decision, I phoned Dave at the london scooter body shop today and he gave me an estimate, I'm going to see him tomorrow. My black GT200 is going to have the works, rust treatment and respray to vintage white, wheels powder coated gloss black. I'm also going to invest in a classic rack. She should look like new when finished, can't wait now. Thanks for the advice and opinions.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0187s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0080s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]