OP
@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Burgman 650 (May, 2012) MP3 500 (11/2009 - 5.2012)

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
UTC quote
About 50 degrees.. Very windy !
About 70 miles.. No big deal....
http://g.co/maps/b42pu

Interesting.. I got my 500 out of the cycleshell.. It had been on a trickle charger all winter.., started up in one second.. No issues.. Checked air pressure.. Right front was 31.5.. and rear was 36..

OK, I run recommended pressure (the badge on the firewall there) of 33.4 on the front (34 Lbs) and 40 in the back.. I stop at a gas station, bring the right front up to 34.., the left front was at 40!!? I have no idea how that happened, so I dropped that down to 34 and brought the back up to 40.

Great ride.. I didn't stop for lunch.. I forgot !
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
Sounds like fun. I took mine out on Tuesday. Whenever I take it out after not having ridden for a while, it's like being able to breath again...

Mark
@hollybry avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS

Molto Verboso
@hollybry avatar
2007 Piaggio MP3 250 (sold) and 2009 MP3 400 (sold) 2011 CanAm Spyder RSS
UTC quote
Had a little ride over to Pnydrvrs yesterday. And Cubsking is right. It is like I could breathe again!
@rjeffb avatar
UTC

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)

Bracketmeister
@rjeffb avatar
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
UTC quote
Unfortunately 8AM temp is predicted to be 41 degrees and that's still too cold, otherwise I'd be taking the bike home tonight from the girlfriend's garage for tomorrow's morning commute. Still it was nice to go for a bit of a ride today, just a few PSI to the tires needed and the G/F really appreciating the new UPP rear pegs.
@co0lmint avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@co0lmint avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
nice for that part of the country. glad you enjoyed it. personally it's been about 70-80 for the past couple weeks here in CA. i'm a all year rider for that reason of course. now it's rain all week hate commuting in it, but it's required when the bike is the '2nd car' Laughing emoticon
think i'm going to change back to the OEM air box though. had a rough start last time it rained and i think it was a little excess water from pnydrvr mod. it evaped it fine enough, but it was a bit of a scare at first.
happy riding my fellow MP3'rs!
UTC

Molto Verboso
LXS 150

Molto Verboso
LXS 150
UTC quote
Re: 1st ride of the season !
noth wrote:
About 50 degrees.. Very windy !
About 70 miles.. No big deal....
http://g.co/maps/b42pu

Interesting.. I got my 500 out of the cycleshell.. It had been on a trickle charger all winter.., started up in one second.. No issues.. Checked air pressure.. Right front was 31.5.. and rear was 36..

OK, I run recommended pressure (the badge on the firewall there) of 33.4 on the front (34 Lbs) and 40 in the back.. I stop at a gas station, bring the right front up to 34.., the left front was at 40!!? I have no idea how that happened, so I dropped that down to 34 and brought the back up to 40.

Great ride.. I didn't stop for lunch.. I forgot !
Tires warm up with use., causing the air inside to expand and raising the pressure (+5 PSI is typical). Tire pressure should be checked "cold" (that is, before riding). You do not need to let air out of a warm tire to bring it down to the recommended (cold) pressure if it was correct when cold.

One way to manage this if you have to ride somewhere to add air is to only add the difference between the measured cold pressure (before starting out) and the recommended pressure. In this example, your left front tire was at 31.5 PSI and needed to be at 33.4 PSI, so you should have added 1.9 (call it 2) PSI to whatever the warmed-up tire held when you got to the gas station.

Looks like a great day for riding, and a nice route as well!
Spring is getting here...

ETA: need to update my location -- I'm in the Los Angeles area now (spring isn't really there in Utah, yet...)

Edit #2: corrected sig.

-Rusty
'09 LX150S
OP
@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
UTC quote
The tires were cold.. very cold.. no temp even showing on the temp gauge when I got to the air pump.. so it was a good reading..

Great day of riding.. Used my new First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and my new Icon3 boots..plus Cor tech Kevlar pants.. I want to really try to always be A T G A T T .. since reading about Sticky's fall and another person with road rash after a slight fall over in the general section.. Stickys fall really hit home.. experienced and a nothing difficult just a typical turn and down he went on diesel fuel in the road.. so it made me really evaluate things realistically.. I am careful.. I am on typical suburban & rural 2 lane roads all the way to work & so on.. but stuff happens ,so I bought my boots and due to be delivered tomorrow is a pair of Draggin Jeans with armor .. I always (by law) wore a helmet, used gloves and had a good jacket on when I rode.. but pants were khakis and shoes were low lace up shoes.. not bad.. but ankle was exposed.. so now really working at reducing the odds of injury..
@lloyd123 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 Suzuki Burgman 400ABS

Hooked
@lloyd123 avatar
2013 Suzuki Burgman 400ABS
UTC quote
noth wrote:
OK, I run recommended pressure (the badge on the firewall there) of 33.4 on the front (34 Lbs) and 40 in the back.
Please correct me if I'm mistaken but the psi listed on the firewall badge is for the maximum gross vehicle weight which is just over 1,000 lbs. The bike weighs about 550 so that psi would only be appropriate if you weigh about 500 lbs. I believe the owner's manual lists the psi with a passenger at 1.8 bar front and 2.6 bar rear which is about 26 psi front and about 37 psi rear. Higher than recommended psi will give you a harsher ride and abnormal tire wear on the center of the tire - at least that's the way it is with a car - but better gas mileage.

I put my mp3 away for the winter last October - Stabil in the gas and trickle charger - but have probably had it out for rides about 10 times this winter as it's been so mild - even had to add more gas to the tank. Last winter I only took it out twice for very short rides to rotate the tires and circulate fluids and they were not enjoyable rides - God Bless Global Warming!
@cubsking99 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Yamaha Vino 125

Ossessionato
@cubsking99 avatar
2007 Yamaha Vino 125
UTC quote
lloyd123 wrote:
noth wrote:
OK, I run recommended pressure (the badge on the firewall there) of 33.4 on the front (34 Lbs) and 40 in the back.
Please correct me if I'm mistaken but the psi listed on the firewall badge is for the maximum gross vehicle weight which is just over 1,000 lbs. The bike weighs about 550 so that psi would only be appropriate if you weigh about 500 lbs. I believe the owner's manual lists the psi with a passenger at 1.8 bar front and 2.6 bar rear which is about 26 psi front and about 37 psi rear. Higher than recommended psi will give you a harsher ride and abnormal tire wear on the center of the tire - at least that's the way it is with a car - but better gas mileage.

I put my mp3 away for the winter last October - Stabil in the gas and trickle charger - but have probably had it out for rides about 10 times this winter as it's been so mild - even had to add more gas to the tank. Last winter I only took it out twice for very short rides to rotate the tires and circulate fluids and they were not enjoyable rides - God Bless Global Warming!
Yes, it gives you a harder ride but better fuel economy. But being still well within the manufacturer's recommended pressures, I shouldn't give "abnormal" wear...
@wanderingpurist avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500ie

Hooked
@wanderingpurist avatar
MP3 500ie
UTC quote
congrats on being able to ride again...
it's a great feeling.

at the risk of sounding like gloating, I put on 800 miles this week on a VFR and 120 miles on the MP3 500. very very soul satisfying.

keep the rubber side down!
noth wrote:
The tires were cold.. very cold.. no temp even showing on the temp gauge when I got to the air pump.. so it was a good reading..

Great day of riding.. Used my new First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and my new Icon3 boots..plus Cor tech Kevlar pants.. I want to really try to always be A T G A T T .. since reading about Sticky's fall and another person with road rash after a slight fall over in the general section.. Stickys fall really hit home.. experienced and a nothing difficult just a typical turn and down he went on diesel fuel in the road.. so it made me really evaluate things realistically.. I am careful.. I am on typical suburban & rural 2 lane roads all the way to work & so on.. but stuff happens ,so I bought my boots and due to be delivered tomorrow is a pair of Draggin Jeans with armor .. I always (by law) wore a helmet, used gloves and had a good jacket on when I rode.. but pants were khakis and shoes were low lace up shoes.. not bad.. but ankle was exposed.. so now really working at reducing the odds of injury..
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Please don't over-inflate your tyres more than a couple of PSI for the situation they are in. Come the 'Emergency Stop' and you'll be compromised. Lack of contact patch, and possibly tyres too cold.

That said, *I* run hard tyres, but by no more than 2PSI.
OP
@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Please don't over-inflate your tyres more than a couple of PSI for the situation they are in. Come the 'Emergency Stop' and you'll be compromised. Lack of contact patch, and possibly tyres too cold.

That said, *I* run hard tyres, but by no more than 2PSI.
Frankly I didn't know I was over inflating at all.. Thought that I was good at the pressure indicated on the firewall badge.. I'll drop it down a bit..
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Which goes to show those stickers (only applied in the US mind) cause more confusion than they do safety.

Bloody pen-pushers.
OP
@noth avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@noth avatar
UTC quote
I went to the on line manual and found that I have been over inflating by a lot.. (using the bar shown and converting to PSI).. something like 23 PSI required vs.. the 34 I have beeen using for the front and 34 instead of the 40 I have been using for the rear.. and all completley un intentional.. but it does explain why I have been at the very upper end of any reported MPG.. I routinely get 57 MPG.. I pretty much drive between 35 and 65 MPH and 2 lane rds.. WOT where possible , but then drop back in traffic or suspected high enforcement
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
noth wrote:
I went to the on line manual and found that I have been over inflating by a lot.. (using the bar shown and converting to PSI).. something like 23 PSI required vs.. the 34 I have beeen using for the front and 34 instead of the 40 I have been using for the rear.. and all completley un intentional.. but it does explain why I have been at the very upper end of any reported MPG.. I routinely get 57 MPG.. I pretty much drive between 35 and 65 MPH and 2 lane rds.. WOT where possible , but then drop back in traffic or suspected high enforcement
a little too high on the fronts for sure. try them at 30 psi and take the rear down to 36-37 . you should feel better grip thru the corners. I personally like my fronts at 28 and rear at 34. I also don't care about how many miles I get milk out of tires or gas mileage. I routinely get 52+ mpg, so what another 2 mpg, really.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0158s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]